Let's have your Pixel 3 (or 4) wishlist

psteve2005

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
From time to time I think about buying another phone, most recently the Nokia 7 Plus, but I've come to accept that the Pixel line is almost perfect for me. The only problem I have nowadays is deciding if I want to trade a manageable size for battery life, switching from the Pixel > Pixel XL > Pixel 2 (with a returned 2 XL inbetween).

For me, the perfect Pixel 3 would have:

- Wireless charging (an absolute must so I have my fingers crossed)
- Bigger battery
- The screen to body ratio and overall footprint of the S9/iPhone X/regular P20.

Those changes would give me as close to my perfect phone as I could hope for. Of course I'd still have my annual big phone/small phone indecision regardless....

So, what about you?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
From time to time I think about buying another phone, most recently the Nokia 7 Plus, but I've come to accept that the Pixel line is almost perfect for me. The only problem I have nowadays is deciding if I want to trade a manageable size for battery life, switching from the Pixel > Pixel XL > Pixel 2 (with a returned 2 XL inbetween).

For me, the perfect Pixel 3 would have:

- Wireless charging (an absolute must so I have my fingers crossed)
- Bigger battery
- The screen to body ratio and overall footprint of the S9/iPhone X/regular P20.

Those changes would give me as close to my perfect phone as I could hope for. Of course I'd still have my annual big phone/small phone indecision regardless....

So, what about you?

It's too late to make design changes to the Pixel 3.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Pixel 3 XL:
* Wireless charging.
* Bigger battery. Don't you dare make it smaller!
* Headphone jack.
* No blue tint on oblique views of screen.
* Smaller bezels on top and bottom. Sides are OK. Absolutely no notch.
* Bring back Miracast (or some way to cast to TV that doesn't require Chromecast. Hey, this is a wishlist!)

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Going to try and pass on getting a 3 as long as my 2 still works well. Smaller bezels would be nice to get an overall smaller size, disliking large phones. Headphone jack, don't care. wireless charge, don't care but if it requires a full glass backside then that is a negative feature IMO. Do NOT want an all glass phone. Battery is fine as is as it lasts me all day and beyond. Would rather keep the design thin. Also hope they don't dump the FPS for facial regog. Big negative unless they have both for choice

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Agree that wireless charging is a must in the Pixel 3. It really should have been in the Pixel 2 to begin with. They are really behind in this respect. It's deeply ironic because the Nexus series from Google were some of the first phones to feature wireless charging (and facial unlock!).

Speaking of, let's see some facial unlock features added!

Wireless charging will likely mean a glass-back design. I hope Google finds a way to keep that two-tone aesthetic of the Pixels. How will they accomplish this with a glass-back design? Different shades of glass? Or will they abandon the Pixel aesthetic and just go all glass in one color/shade (could it look like the upcoming HTC U12)? In other words, I'm looking forward to good design.

And you can't talk about good design without discussing bezels on the front. They need to be improved considerably, especially on the regular Pixel 2 model. Even on the larger Pixel 2 XL, the bezels could stand to be trimmed -- I think they're oddly thick. Also, it's been proven that you don't need front-facing speakers to achieve loud, good-quality dual speakers. They simply don't need to be front-firing anymore. We can give that space back to more screen.

And speaking of screen, give us better quality screens, too. Perfectly happy with them being flat, but it's time to get higher resolution on the smaller model, and I'd love to see Google invest in Samsung panels for both sizes.

Next up is absolutely wishful thinking and has near 0% chance of happening, but I would love if Google brought back the headphone jack. Again, Samsung and LG and others have proven you can have big displays, big batteries, advanced components and parts, and still have room for a headphone jack. Let's stop the lies that Apple started, that there is simply no room for a headphone jack due to how crowded the internals have gotten. No, you just want to sell your bluetooth earphones. It's very frustrating my Pixel 2 doesn't have a headphone jack. I use bluetooth earphones myself, but there are still times when I want to plug in and play, too. There's no reason to take this away other than to push sales of certain accessories. Very unfortunate Google followed Apple's route on this one, especially after making fun of Apple during the Pixel 1.

Lastly, I would love to see Google open up the software a hair more. Let us customize icons or get a little more nuance in the settings/customizations. Let us install icon packs or themes. This is a long time coming and I'm not sure why they're dragging their feet on this features. Stock Android is great, but it doesn't have to be so barebones. I'm happy to see, for example, sound profiles making a comeback in Android P. That shouldn't have gone away in the first place.

There is so much potential for the Pixel 3. I really hope Google hits some or all of these marks.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Agree that wireless charging is a must in the Pixel 3. It really should have been in the Pixel 2 to begin with. They are really behind in this respect. It's deeply ironic because the Nexus series from Google were some of the first phones to feature wireless charging (and facial unlock!).

Speaking of, let's see some facial unlock features added!

Wireless charging will likely mean a glass-back design. I hope Google finds a way to keep that two-tone aesthetic of the Pixels. How will they accomplish this with a glass-back design? Different shades of glass? Or will they abandon the Pixel aesthetic and just go all glass in one color/shade (could it look like the upcoming HTC U12)? In other words, I'm looking forward to good design.

And you can't talk about good design without discussing bezels on the front. They need to be improved considerably, especially on the regular Pixel 2 model. Even on the larger Pixel 2 XL, the bezels could stand to be trimmed -- I think they're oddly thick. Also, it's been proven that you don't need front-facing speakers to achieve loud, good-quality dual speakers. They simply don't need to be front-firing anymore. We can give that space back to more screen.

And speaking of screen, give us better quality screens, too. Perfectly happy with them being flat, but it's time to get higher resolution on the smaller model, and I'd love to see Google invest in Samsung panels for both sizes.

Next up is absolutely wishful thinking and has near 0% chance of happening, but I would love if Google brought back the headphone jack. Again, Samsung and LG and others have proven you can have big displays, big batteries, advanced components and parts, and still have room for a headphone jack. Let's stop the lies that Apple started, that there is simply no room for a headphone jack due to how crowded the internals have gotten. No, you just want to sell your bluetooth earphones. It's very frustrating my Pixel 2 doesn't have a headphone jack. I use bluetooth earphones myself, but there are still times when I want to plug in and play, too. There's no reason to take this away other than to push sales of certain accessories. Very unfortunate Google followed Apple's route on this one, especially after making fun of Apple during the Pixel 1.

Lastly, I would love to see Google open up the software a hair more. Let us customize icons or get a little more nuance in the settings/customizations. Let us install icon packs or themes. This is a long time coming and I'm not sure why they're dragging their feet on this features. Stock Android is great, but it doesn't have to be so barebones. I'm happy to see, for example, sound profiles making a comeback in Android P. That shouldn't have gone away in the first place.

There is so much potential for the Pixel 3. I really hope Google hits some or all of these marks.
Just go with premium, colourful polycarbonate like the old Lumia phones. They were very premium.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Going to try and pass on getting a 3 as long as my 2 still works well. Smaller bezels would be nice to get an overall smaller size, disliking large phones. Headphone jack, don't care. wireless charge, don't care but if it requires a full glass backside then that is a negative feature IMO. Do NOT want an all glass phone. Battery is fine as is as it lasts me all day and beyond. Would rather keep the design thin. Also hope they don't dump the FPS for facial regog. Big negative unless they have both for choice

I can't think of many reasons to upgrade either but maybe they will surprise me with something revolutionary.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
It's interesting to read all the personal preferences. Here's mine.

I've purchased a very high quality Bluetooth headphone and find that I really like the look and feel of not having an ugly headphone jack hole in my Pixel 2 XL. And I absolutely love the freedom from wires. So I much prefer continuing with no headphone jack in the next generation of Pixels.

If the technology for wireless charging can ever compete in speed with wired charging, then do it. I had wireless charging in my Nexus 6 and used it a couple of times and then went back to always using wired charging because of how pitifully slow wireless charging was and how much heat was generated.

As always, continue improving the screen and battery life.

Since my Pixel 2 XL is a pocket computer first and a phone second, I would like to see the option for larger sizes than currently available.

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
Pixel 3 XL:
* Wireless charging.
* Bigger battery. Don't you dare make it smaller!
* Headphone jack.
* No blue tint on oblique views of screen.
* Smaller bezels on top and bottom. Sides are OK. Absolutely no notch.
* Bring back Miracast (or some way to cast to TV that doesn't require Chromecast. Hey, this is a wishlist!)

All of the above plus S-pen 😁

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Wireless charging, smaller Pixel also have minimal bezel design and dual camera system since want to see what Google can do with it's amazing computational photography with two cameras.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
While I am not a "huge" fan of it ... I wouldn't mind wireless charging.

Oh also keep the awesome camera up. Other then that I would be good to go :).

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to have to research a bit and see if wireless charging has improved since I looked at it a few years ago with my Nexus 6. It used to take 6 or 7 hours to charge with a lot of heat generated and I didn't think that was good for the battery. Any input on that?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
My wishlist:

- Wireless charging, so no more metal back with plastic coating thanks.

- A Samsung made AMOLED screen with no blue tint.

- Better quality speakers. Move to the setup HTC/Apple/Samsung use if that means the quality will be better.

- Smaller bezels on the top, bottom and sides. The 2 XL is quite bulky when compared to other flagship devices. Maybe the speaker setup above could help reduce bezel size.

- A second and third camera that do optical zoom and wide angle. I don't see Google getting away with one camera again.

- A sensor on the front of the phone for face unlock would be good.

- Stop bring cheap and include decent headphones in the box.

- All the other expected improvements: faster processor, better battery etc.

I think Google need to really step it up this year. I think they got away with a bit last year (poor display, blue tint, plastic-coated back, etc), but I don't think they'll be able to get away with it 2 years in a row.

Knightmayre90

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
I too use Bluetooth headphones but due to the nature of my work I have to have two pairs as one doesn't last long enough, one charges as one is being used. so a headphone jack would be great for me personally. I definitely want facial unlock or in screen fingerprint scanner as I constantly unlock my phone on my desk and the fingerprint scanner is a pain due to having to pick the phone up to get in to it. screen ratio for me could be a little narrower, more like the S9 size so it could be easier to handle one handed. I'm not bothered by bezels or notches, makes no difference to me. Other than that, this phone rocks.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khalio1234