Pixel 3 and 3 XL Display Size Comparison to the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2XL

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Let me know if there's another way you want to view these:

aspectratiosp3.jpg

Sizes used:

P2 is 5.0" 16:9 device which is 2.45" x 4.36".
P3 is 5.3" 18:9 device which is 2.37" x 4.74". This makes it 1.05 mm skinnier on each side and 4.85 mm taller in each direction.
P2XL is 6.0" 18:9 device which is 2.68" x 5.37".
P3XL is 6.2" 18:9 device which is 2.77" x 5.55". This makes it 1.1 mm wider on each side and 2.3 mm longer in each direction, not including the notch and the assumption is that almost all of the 4.6 mm difference in height is on the upper part of the phone.

Important note: All of these display size changes are possible in the same sized chassis as the 2nd generation devices, as depicted here with the P3 display on the P2 chassis:

p2p3.png

However, in that example the bezels of the P3 are still pretty huge and so it is likely that the P3 is a SMALLER device than the P2.

The difference is even more obvious in the XL comparison with the same chassis, so it is likely that the P3XL may be smaller than the P2XL as well.

p2xp3x.png

Should be able to update the images with more exact sizes within the next 30 days or so. The 6.2" and 5.3" display sizes are from OnLeaks.

Posted on Reddit here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/8oiynx/the_p3_and_p3xl_are_probably_smaller_devices_than/

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That's a pretty good comparison. (But I don't upgrade just because there's a new model out. Unless there's some major hardware change, or Android or the carriers make a major change [like AT&T no longer doing voice and text on 2G], I'll probably wait until the Pixel 5 or 6 to upgrade. After all, with the 2, I still keep getting Android until R, and it will be another year before S ships (assuming that Lineage or Oxygen doesn't come out with S, T, etc., for the 2). I only upgraded to the P2 for the fingerprint scanner, actually. (The dynamic range of the photography was just an added bonus.)

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Bah.. my preference is for smaller phones. Pocketability is an important consideration with my mobile device... 5.3 is getting up there.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I'd like larger screens in smaller overall devices.

Leaning towards the XL with the notch. If it has a larger screen than the 2XL while retaining the same size or even smaller, that'd be great.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Never look at screen size for pocketability. The 5 inch Pixel 2 is the same size as a 5.8 inch S9. Those bezels on it add a lot.
Bah.. my preference is for smaller phones. Pocketability is an important consideration with my mobile device... 5.3 is getting up there.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
let's hope the 3xl follows the same footprint as the LG G7 (wouldn't be surprised given the panel). the G7 is 153.2 x 71.9 x 7.9mm.

the pixel 2 xl is 157.9 x 76.7 x 7.9mm.

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
The difference is even more obvious in the XL comparison with the same chassis, so it is likely that the P3XL may be smaller than the P2XL as well.
That P3XL image just looks mis-shapen to me, like when Tweety Bird got turned into a Jekyl & Hyde beast. I hate to say it, but that P3XL looks f'd up without a notch.

mondo-promo.jpg

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
That's a pretty good comparison. (But I don't upgrade just because there's a new model out. Unless there's some major hardware change, or Android or the carriers make a major change [like AT&T no longer doing voice and text on 2G], I'll probably wait until the Pixel 5 or 6 to upgrade. After all, with the 2, I still keep getting Android until R, and it will be another year before S ships (assuming that Lineage or Oxygen doesn't come out with S, T, etc., for the 2). I only upgraded to the P2 for the fingerprint scanner, actually. (The dynamic range of the photography was just an added bonus.)

Whats this about the AT&T doing voice and text on 2G? I'm planning on moving from my Galaxy S8+ to the Pixel 3XL when it's released and i'm on AT&T.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am fine if there is a notch. I have used iPhone X a few times and see no issue with the notch from day to day use :).

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I am fine if there is a notch. I have used iPhone X a few times and see no issue with the notch from day to day use :).
I've never owned a phone with a notch, but just from a visual standpoint, I don't have any issues with it. Just provides a little extra screen at the top for notifications. Plus a lot of phones allow you to blackout the notch if you don't like it.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Running the Android P Beta on my Pixel 2 XL, I hate the lack of notification area for my notifications. I guess they built P for the notch, since I can't even see many notification without the notch.

So the notch may be OK, except for how many fewer notification icons are visible IMO. Also, I always wonder about constantly smudging the FFC when I go to swipe down for notifications with the FFC right in the middle where I normally swipe now. I guess it will just be new muscle memory training ..

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Running the Android P Beta on my Pixel 2 XL, I hate the lack of notification area for my notifications. I guess they built P for the notch, since I can't even see many notification without the notch.

So the notch may be OK, except for how many fewer notification icons are visible IMO. Also, I always wonder about constantly smudging the FFC when I go to swipe down for notifications with the FFC right in the middle where I normally swipe now. I guess it will just be new muscle memory training ..

Might just have to get used to swiping down from the far left or the far right to avoid touching the front facing cameras. As you said, after a little while and some finger print smudges on the front camera, your muscle memory will adjust to it.

I think a bigger concern for me is the very poor attempt at gestures with Android P. It's this weird half button, half gesture setup that doesn't work well at all and is more time consuming than anything. They really need to come up with a better solution for the final release.

delkhouri

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
If the pixel 3 xl is going to be smaller overall dimensions (with a slightly bigger screen) than the pixel 2xl.... Here is hoping they come out with a pixel 3 XXL. I know it's not going to happen but I have big hands and big pockets so the bigger the better.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon