Pixel 3 XL

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I can understand wanting to debate the aesthetics of a device. There will always be different opinions about something like that. But battery complaints?? Battery sizes have been declining for years. Why would the situation with the Pixel 3 have an expectation of going up in size? Especially if Google feels they can do as much or more with less.

I think the concern relates to the fact you have a phone with a larger screen with a smaller battery which could negatively impact battery life. Perhaps between the software and new chip it won't be impacted, but it is a curious choice.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't buy this argument at all.

Essential was a brand new company, their first phone they make is the Essential phone with has a tiny cutout for the front camera and a bit of a bottom bezel and it was released in 2017. If Google is a toddler in hardware design, then Essential was a newborn and still managed to design a far better looking phone 1.5 years in advance

I refuse to believe Google's hardware engineers can't come up with a much, much better design that what they've put into the Pixel 3 XL, whereas startup companies like Essential or dying companies like HTC can do so. Google themselves aren't manufacturing the device, they just need to design it and send the plans to Foxxcon to manufacture it.

Google's designers are just terrible and we're left with a phone with the biggest, ugliest notch on a phone, a large bottom bezel and 2016 specs with 3,430mah battery, 4gb ram, 64gb base storage, no headphone jack, poor-quality LG displays, single camera etc. Every other OEM that is putting out a legitimate high-end flagship. Where exactly is the value in the Pixel 3 XL?

On top of that, Google *should* be spending the time and effort to make the design exquisite. This is going to be their high-end flagship phone that'll retail for $850+, so there's no excuse to cut corners, but cutting corners is all we've seen so far.

This is spot on.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I think the concern relates to the fact you have a phone with a larger screen with a smaller battery which could negatively impact battery life. Perhaps between the software and new chip it won't be impacted, but it is a curious choice.

Well okay, I can see how people may initially see something like that. But when I read interviews from Android engineers that discuss their power management approach with Android Pie, it leaves me with a different conclusion.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...sts-tracks-and-improves-android-battery-life/

I just don't think most people that complain really have any fact based reason for the complaints. I mean.. a fraction of a percent?? Really??

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Well okay, I can see how people may initially see something like that. But when I read interviews from Google engineers that discuss their power management approach with Android Pie, it leaves me with a different conclusion.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...sts-tracks-and-improves-android-battery-life/

I just don't think most people that complain really have any fact based reason for the complaints. I mean.. a fraction of a percent?? Really??

You don't need to explain or apologize for this stuff. There is zero excuse for making a bigger phone with a smaller battery in 2018.

No matter what the given OS or specs on a phone, exactly 100% of phones will benefit from a bigger batter and exactly 100% of phones will get less battery life from a smaller battery.

Saying that they can make the battery smaller BECAUSE the chip or OS is more efficient is being an apologist. Every year chips get more efficient, and one would hope every year OS's get more efficient. None of that means that consumer should expect a bigger phone with a smaller battery. One has nothing to do with the other.

As others have pointed out, it is easily possible (and certainly preferable) to put a much larger battery in phones of this size.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Saying that they can make the battery smaller BECAUSE the chip or OS is more efficient is being an apologist. Every year chips get more efficient, and one would hope every year OS's get more efficient. None of that means that consumer should expect a bigger phone with a smaller battery. One has nothing to do with the other.

I'm not sure your point. Big phones are nothing new. We've been dealing in + sized models for years and batteries have been decreasing for years and prices continue to go up.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure your point. Big phones are nothing new. We've been dealing in + sized models for years and batteries have been decreasing for years and prices continue to go up.

The point is:

- We as consumers should expect larger batteries in larger phones.
- When a company makes the next model of it's phone larger, with a smaller battery, we as consumers should have concerns about this
- Battery sizes are going up for many phones recently
- Even if there was/is a trend of smaller batteries, we as consumers should not like it or accept it IMO.
- There are legitimate concerns being expressed here for what seems certain to be an expensive phone IMO

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You don't need to explain or apologize for this stuff. There is zero excuse for making a bigger phone with a smaller battery in 2018.

No matter what the given OS or specs on a phone, exactly 100% of phones will benefit from a bigger batter and exactly 100% of phones will get less battery life from a smaller battery.

As others have pointed out, it is easily possible (and certainly preferable) to put a much larger battery in phones of this size.

You can't put a much larger battery in without increasing one of the dimensions. They tried that in the Note 7 and we know how that went.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
You can't put a much larger battery in without increasing one of the dimensions. They tried that in the Note 7 and we know how that went.

Oh please. Fix the dimensions then. Have you not seen the Note 9 specs? It can be done, it should be done.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
The point is:

- We as consumers should expect larger batteries in larger phones.
- When a company makes the next model of it's phone larger, with a smaller battery, we as consumers should have concerns about this
- Battery sizes are going up for many phones recently
- Even if there was/is a trend of smaller batteries, we as consumers should not like it or accept it IMO.
- There are legitimate concerns being expressed here for what seems certain to be an expensive phone IMO

Again, there's nothing wrong with having an opinion. I think some of that should be rooted in at least some facts outside of a personal wish list, though, if it's something to be debated as a legitimate complaint.

If the spec sheet is important to a consumer, they should buy the device that best lines up with their desires. It's that simple. There are devices right now that have every spec that some are complaining about in this thread (along with the other 3 or 4 saying the same thing). So why not just buy THAT device if that's what's important to you and not have a concern under the sun about whatever Google is doing with the Pixel? Why buy ANY device if it's not what you want?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
1) It seems that this is more of a 3XLs than anything, and I'm cool with that.

2) Did we really need another thread for the same people to come complain about the same things in circles again?

It's the same guys also complaining that others want to voice their opinions

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Oh please. Fix the dimensions then. Have you not seen the Note 9 specs? It can be done, it should be done.

Yes...I have seen the Note 9 specs. I have no interest in the Note 9, so I won't list what I don't like about it. I simply won't buy it.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Again, there's nothing wrong with having an opinion. I think some of that should be rooted in at least some facts outside of a personal wish list, though, if it's something to be debated as a legitimate complaint.

If the spec sheet is important to a consumer, they should buy the device that best lines up with their desires. It's that simple. There are devices right now that have every spec that some are complaining about in this thread (along with the other 3 or 4 saying the same thing). So why not just buy THAT device if that's what's important to you and not have a concern under the sun about whatever Google is doing with the Pixel? Why buy ANY device if it's not what you want?

Well of course. Your opinion here is that it is OK to reduce battery size and make the phone bigger, I guess? That’s YOUR opinion. There’s no facts involved there either. You’re not “stating facts”, you’re giving your opinion supported by saying the CPU is more efficient, so therefor you are OK with it.

That’s fine too, but it is legitimate to have other opinions as well.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes...I have seen the Note 9 specs. I have no interest in the Note 9, so I won't list what I don't like about it. I simply won't buy it.

That’s cool. But clearly it’s possible to put a much larger battery in larger phones, yes? That was the point you responded to with your Note 7 comment.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Well of course. Your opinion here is that it is OK to reduce battery size and make the phone bigger, I guess? That’s YOUR opinion. There’s no facts involved there either. You’re not “stating facts”, you’re giving your opinion supported by saying the CPU is more efficient, so therefor you are OK with it.

That’s fine too, but it is legitimate to have other opinions as well.

Well, I've posted actually facts from engineers to provide some insight. I guess if a 3 page interview with two actual engineers explaining the approach to power management is just an "excuse", I guess there's no debating here.

Buy the device that makes you the happiest. The Pixel does that for me, and I hope those that are unhappy with it find a device that does the same for them.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Well, I've posted actually facts from engineers to provide some insight. I guess if a 3 page interview with two actual engineers explaining the approach to power management is just an "excuse", I guess there's no debating here.

Buy the device that makes you the happiest. The Pixel does that for me, and I hope those that are unhappy with it find a device that does the same for them.

We all buy the device that makes us happiest. Quoting engineers is fine if you feel like that helps someone’s OPINION. Pedantic arguments about power management are not relevant to what I posted.

Folks shouldn’t have to feel like they are supporting their thesis every time they happen to post something negative about the phone. Compromises that are OK to you may not be ok to others. Unless someone mis-states facts, they should feel like we are able to disagree without having to cite 4 external sources .

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
We all buy the device that makes us happiest. Quoting engineers is fine if you feel like that helps someone’s OPINION. Pedantic arguments about power management are not relevant to what I posted.

Folks shouldn’t have to feel like they are supporting their thesis every time they happen to post something negative about the phone. Compromises that are OK to you may not be ok to others. Unless someone mis-states facts, they should feel like we are able to disagree without having to cite 4 external sources .

It's fine to have an opinion, as I said. It's when it turns into absolutes that I think more than "Cause I said so" should be called for.

We've debated the RAM thing. For me, I try to understand things from the companies thinking before drawing a conclusion. So instead of going the "Google's going the cheapo route", I look to the engineering for insight such as from the same article I posted that most probably won't bother to read:

"Ars: OK, yeah, you mean just at the SoC, sure.

Poiesz: You're right. Different parts of the hardware, some are getting better, some aren't. Some are neutral, and some are arguably getting worse. It depends on what you're looking at, like air quotes, "worse." The thing is, like, more RAM on device. That's definitely been a trend is adding more RAM to hardware. RAM is kind of a parasitic drain because it's always on.

Shout out to devices like the OnePlus 6 with a whopping (and totally unnecessary) 8GB of RAM.

Poiesz: So, if you have more modules running simultaneously, that's more power in a continual draw state, and so that's an area where certain parts of the hardware are getting better. Certain other parts of the hardware in terms of performance and capability, but from a power perspective, they may be offset by other gains."

That to me is more insightful than a "I didn't get my wish" type of complaint. AT least with that there's some rationale.;)

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
@DMP89145 If all you want is pedantic arguments, fine. I'll be one and done then with this one. You are arguing we shoujld be ok with smaller batteries based on your engineering articles about power efficiency. So it should be OK if we never get more battery life than we have now, right? (smaller batteries are offset by OS and CPU efficiencies). So if you are OK with this this year, you should be OK with it next year and so on, yes? Therefor in 5 or six years of reducing the battery each year and having more efficient OS and hardware we end up with the same battery life and a tiny little battery I guess , yes? Why should we be OK with this? I am saying it is entirely preferable to most consumers to have the same or bigger battery, and still gain the OS and hardware efficiencies. This is what should be happening.

AS far as being cheap with RAM, it is what it is. You can be an apologist and say paying a lot shouldn't mean we should expect similar specs to other high end phones. Just because you do not want it or need it or expect it, doesn't mean others shouldn't.

I am not gonna reply on this anymore as we seems to be speaking on differing planes here ..