Losing Interest In 3 XL

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Hey Guys,

So is anyone else loosing interest in the Pixel 3 XL? I know I sure am.

I will wait until official announcement and hope that this is a huge Russian troll job, but I somehow doubt it.

1. Huge notch - I would rather no notch and just shrink the 2XL bezels a bit or I could handle a small one but this thing is twice as deep as most other notches. I actually would rather have small bezels kinda like the Note 9.

2. Battery shrink - On days when I am at home on wifi the battery on the 2XL is fine and I would be good with it, but on work days on my side of the office there is no signal and my battery is at about 30% by 5:00 and I have to charge before bedtime. The addition of wireless charging will help with because it would get charged while sitting at my desk (put it on the charging stand is so much more convenient) or while driving also wireless charging. but on long days running around at an event or at the beach it is still an issue. Loose the camera hump and add some extra battery you can really never have too much battery.

3. RAM - Would love to see more RAM, usually the 2XL is fine but at times i do see a shudder and sometimes apps close I assume do to lack of RAM.

Those are my major gripes, I may still get it and would be happy with the fast updates, the camera and the overall OS.

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
TBH, I'm only not interested in the 3 XL because I'm all twitter-pated by the thought of a detachable Pixelbook in October! No way I want to budget in both that and a new phone. Still nothing I've read to date about the 3 XL would really keep me from upgrading if I were of a mind to upgrade, not even that stupid notch.

Easy for me to say, though, since I'm hardly a smartphone power user.

Last edited:

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Definitely lost interest in the 3XL because of it's design. Let's hope Google has something special that can wow me back to wanting one.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am not on the edge of my seat waiting for one -- but I know I will probably get one. The notch thing doesn't bother me. The RAM thing doesn't either (never noticed an issue TBH w/ my 2 XL).

The battery shrink is slightly annoying but it isn't like ... 500 less or something. With all that said we will see what happens and what I decide once it is officially dropped. If anything I am way more interested in the rumored watch. I have been wanting a LTE watch for awhile so I just have been patiently waiting for this.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes I've just about lost interest in the 3 XL. I'll still see what is officially announced and maybe there are some hardware and software reveals that we don't know of, but from the leaks, it looks like an extremely iterative device, with a focus on better selfies. Something I personally could not care less for, so to see Google invest in a second camera on the front and not putting an additional one in the back makes no sense to me.

Then of course there's the very large notch, smaller battery, non-adequate ram (and yes my 2XL has issues with performance and app reloads) and the screen being a giant question mark, I'm really questioning what the value proposition for the phone is. The phone with the best selfies....yeah hard pass on that thanks.

I may get the Pixel 3 if the product and pricing is right, otherwise I'll look elsewhere.

Seems like Google is more interested in making phones for Instagram users than anyone else.

Last edited:

AbAll87

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
personally since Google got that HTC team I have been waiting for Pixel 4 XL... I didn't feel this year would be enough time to see some innovations.

I am however waiting for the pixel watch (I do hope it's true). and I hope it can pair with the OG pixel.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah ,I'm not counting down the days til it's release.The Notch and Ram doesn't bother me.

However the overall size may very well bother me.

So I'm not 100% in on purchasing.I never was 100% in ,,tho still to early . I'm probably 50/50

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
If it turns out to be true then storage topping out at 128gb is the show stopper for me given we expect this thing to Samsung Note 9 expensive! I could live with the notch and ram but 128gb is just too small for comfort for me.

Honestly though google had an open goal this year but the more I read the more I think they just do not want to tread on Samsung et-al’s toes too much.

Right now the LG G7 one is of more interest to me than the 3XL and when announced I suspect the OP6T and Mate 20 will be too.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I like the design but I admit that the notch is pretty big compared to others. As far as battery goes, I'll wait until reviews of the phone/performance ratings before assuming the worst. I too would rather have a heftier battery and therefore a heftier phone; but people nowadays want notches and slimmer phones... So that's what we get? It's kind of sad but I guess that's the way the market works!

I'm interested in the 3 line but I won't be purchasing either device model. Will keep my 2 and wait and see what the 4 is like!

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, 128GB is too low for a $1000 phone, that's for sure. The bar has been raised on what to expect for a grand USD.

The camera may be dope, the best around in fact, but in 2018, Samsung and Apple have showed us what to expect for a comma in the price.

If this was priced like a Nexus, with these specs, this would fly, but with that Australia sized notch and mid range specs, they won't get my money.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey Guys,

So is anyone else loosing interest in the Pixel 3 XL? I know I sure am.

I will wait until official announcement and hope that this is a huge Russian troll job, but I somehow doubt it.

1. Huge notch - I would rather no notch and just shrink the 2XL bezels a bit or I could handle a small one but this thing is twice as deep as most other notches. I actually would rather have small bezels kinda like the Note 9.

2. Battery shrink - On days when I am at home on wifi the battery on the 2XL is fine and I would be good with it, but on work days on my side of the office there is no signal and my battery is at about 30% by 5:00 and I have to charge before bedtime. The addition of wireless charging will help with because it would get charged while sitting at my desk (put it on the charging stand is so much more convenient) or while driving also wireless charging. but on long days running around at an event or at the beach it is still an issue. Loose the camera hump and add some extra battery you can really never have too much battery.

3. RAM - Would love to see more RAM, usually the 2XL is fine but at times i do see a shudder and sometimes apps close I assume do to lack of RAM.

Those are my major gripes, I may still get it and would be happy with the fast updates, the camera and the overall OS.

I honestly don't see how any Pixel fan can find this phone exciting, I think it's a disappointment for fans. It's almost 2019 and they decided to include a giant notch, single rear camera, and minimal features? I think Google wants to simplify their phone to keep that minimalistic design and stripped down feel... They need to bring back the Nexus line. Maybe Google will learn a hard lesson from those leaks and scrap their project and start over... If they get the hint, people DON'T like it...

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I like the design but I admit that the notch is pretty big compared to others. As far as battery goes, I'll wait until reviews of the phone/performance ratings before assuming the worst. I too would rather have a heftier battery and therefore a heftier phone; but people nowadays want notches and slimmer phones... So that's what we get? It's kind of sad but I guess that's the way the market works!

I'm interested in the 3 line but I won't be purchasing either device model. Will keep my 2 and wait and see what the 4 is like!

I think the notch was a desperate scream for attention.. since most phones look the same, I think Google wanted to differentiate themselves with this odd design choice... Even the whacky Essential Phone is better looking than this... Google will not take a hit and get hurt with sales, they are extremely big and can afford the losts.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Definitely lost interest in the 3XL because of it's design. Let's hope Google has something special that can wow me back to wanting one.

Glad to know I'm not the only one that thinks this. I honestly think they need to bring back the Nexus line and stop with the "premium" approach. To Nexus phones were all about packing power, simplicity, and affordability.. but that affordability part they didn't want that image anymore...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I honestly don't see how any Pixel fan can find this phone exciting, I think it's a disappointment for fans. It's almost 2019 and they decided to include a giant notch, single rear camera, and minimal features? I think Google wants to simplify their phone to keep that minimalistic design and stripped down feel... They need to bring back the Nexus line. Maybe Google will learn a hard lesson from those leaks and scrap their project and start over... If they get the hint, people DON'T like it...

We don't expect you to understand since the Pixel is not something you desire. You've often made it quite clear that you would rather buy something with more bells and whistles and gimmicks. A single rear camera is of no use to you even if it's the one of best performers out there. Two or three cameras on phone does not mean better performance. For the most part it buys you different angles but what good are different angles of poor quality snap shots? I'll take one great camera over multiple mediocre ones any day.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Glad to know I'm not the only one that thinks this. I honestly think they need to bring back the Nexus line and stop with the "premium" approach. To Nexus phones were all about packing power, simplicity, and affordability.. but that affordability part they didn't want that image anymore...

Could I interest you in the new nexus line the 1+6 ..lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital