The Notch... it's Big... it's Black... it's Bold... it's Beautiful

Torisen1

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I'll probably still get the 3XL. I haven't decided how I feel about a notch yet though. Probably won't be a big deal.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Lol! Tell us how you really feel, Mike...

My daughter last October.... I want the iPhone X. I said "you know it has a notch?"
She said "what's that? So I don't have showed her and she didn't care. A month ago my wife wanted the X and I said "you know it has a notch?"

Same ending....

You can guess the moral of the story.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'll probably still get the 3XL. I haven't decided how I feel about a notch yet though. Probably won't be a big deal.

As much as I understand anyone's dislikes for the notch I'm convinced in the end it doesn't matter all the much. But hey...we are all free to buy or not buy the things we dislike.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I think non-removable batteries, no SD cards and notches are the future, and there's nothing we can do about it (as much as I'd like to change all 3).

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I think non-removable batteries, no SD cards and notches are the future, and there's nothing we can do about it (as much as I'd like to change all 3).

I hear you on all counts. Removable batteries are virtually extinct. Makes me want to upgrade sooner...lol
SD cards have a few drawbacks but they are convenient. I'm not sure the Notches are here for good but I'm good. I'm also good without the traditional headphone jack.

BTSyndrome

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
It's not the notch at all. I want a smaller phone, why does everyone cater to BIG phones.
My Droid Turbo2 is huge but it was all I got to choose from 3 years ago. I'm already huge I want something smaller:)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
At this point I will settle for the reg. Pixel 3. But It is still slightly larger than what I would prefer.

That's what I'm going for , otherwise I would hold on for the pix 2 xl a little longer but the new pix will have wireless charging which I like alot

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I can handle notch as well but will appreciate it even more if it had a purpose. The notch in the X has a purpose. Unclear what's Google doing with the notch as from the leaks they still have bottom bezels which means it sports dual speakers.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm still wondering if I can live with the notch. Forcing myself to watch videos and leaks trying to get used to it early. It just ain't working so far.... Everything else about the phone I like though. I still live in hope that it's a big "we gotcha!" and they've got something far less embarrassing lined up

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Hating the notch and thinking it's stupid are different things. Hate means I'm emotionally invested in it which would drive me away from it even if there would be no valid reason.

Thinking it's stupid is a perfectly valid reason though. There simply is no valid reason for having a notch. It decreases the area where you could show notifications and decreases the number of available sensors you could put there, or the size of the speakers. Plus you have to make software fixes for problems created by having it in the first place.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I think the notch is really ugly and worst I've seen on a smartphone. Every other company seems to have a reasonable sized notch, except Google.

But don't worry, they put the notch that big in there so they could add a second camera for super selfies. Because it's more important to put a second lens in the front for selfies than it is to put on the back for better photography....

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hating the notch and thinking it's stupid are different things. Hate means I'm emotionally invested in it which would drive me away from it even if there would be no valid reason.

Thinking it's stupid is a perfectly valid reason though. There simply is no valid reason for having a notch. It decreases the area where you could show notifications and decreases the number of available sensors you could put there, or the size of the speakers. Plus you have to make software fixes for problems created by having it in the first place.

If you compare it to the 2XL they took space that wasn't being utilized below the speaker and adjacent to the proximity sensor and filled it. Yes we lose notification space if you value all those icons but we gain screen space by moving the notification bar up so to say it's there is no valid reason would be purely perspective.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I think the notch is really ugly and worst I've seen on a smartphone. Every other company seems to have a reasonable sized notch, except Google.

But don't worry, they put the notch that big in there so they could add a second camera for super selfies. Because it's more important to put a second lens in the front for selfies than it is to put on the back for better photography....

Honestly I'm not a big selfie person but second camera adds some nice features. Yes it's a shame they didn't add a second rear camera but if they made some improvements through software as been hinted at I'll take that for now.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I can handle notch as well but will appreciate it even more if it had a purpose. The notch in the X has a purpose. Unclear what's Google doing with the notch as from the leaks they still have bottom bezels which means it sports dual speakers.

The notch does serve a purpose.... Read my post 4 posts down. It may not meet your expectations

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

The reason Apple is able to go to the bottom edge with their display is because they've always put their speaker on the bottom. I hate that setup (as I did on my original Pixel). While they can have good even great sound out of a bottom facing speaker (though I believe facing speakers towards the listener is better) my problem is I use my phone (especially for video) in landscape mode. The problem is my hand covers the speaker port when they put it on the bottom. And generally to get louder sound, I have to cup my hand to direct the sound to me. Watching a video of any length means my hand starts to hurt doing that. Which is why I was more than happy to upgrade when I heard they had front facing speakers on the Pixel 2.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
The reason Apple is able to go to the bottom edge with their display is because they've always put their speaker on the bottom. I hate that setup (as I did on my original Pixel). While they can have good even great sound out of a bottom facing speaker (though I believe facing speakers towards the listener is better) my problem is I use my phone (especially for video) in landscape mode. The problem is my hand covers the speaker port when they put it on the bottom. And generally to get louder sound, I have to cup my hand to direct the sound to me. Watching a video of any length means my hand starts to hurt doing that. Which is why I was more than happy to upgrade when I heard they had front facing speakers on the Pixel 2.
Yep. That said, the sound is significantly better in X, especially in landscape mode.

To me though I use the screen almost all the time than listening to music from the speakers (got my Bluetooth headset for better sound) and it makes sense to build a product around that scenario. Essential, Apple, LG, Huawei - all do it. There is just no sense in having a notch but not giving the entire screen real estate to users.

If Google wants to put front facing speakers a priority, they can certainly do so without the notch and opting for tiny bezels like Samsung and see Huawei phones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke