I don't agree the notch is beautiful. It's functional and an improvement from the 2XL, but it is still kinda huge. The only redeeming factor aesthetically is that it looks kind of like a cute robot face. My tiny robot face notch is named "Giovanni" but I call it "Jo". Every morning, "hi Jo, you look well rested"...

Then Jo goes:

¯\_(O_O)_/¯

Because phone looks like this:

|¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\_(O_O)_/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯|
    The beautiful is part of the make believe slogan I drummed up but I don't think it's ugly
    09-14-2018 05:05 PM
    What I don't get is the Selfies on the Pixel 2 line front facing camera are already superb.
    The V40 has almost exactly the same notch setup with dual front cameras in pretty much the exact same configuration...... it's for face ID. I'm sure that's the same purpose of the dual front cameras on the pixel 3xl. That's probably the surprise they're going to spring on us lol. I'm surprised we haven't heard more about that..... that really is the next tech step Google needs to keep up with the Joneses ;-)
    09-15-2018 06:09 AM
    The V40 has almost exactly the same notch setup with dual front cameras in pretty much the exact same configuration...... it's for face ID. I'm sure that's the same purpose of the dual front cameras on the pixel 3xl. That's probably the surprise they're going to spring on us lol. I'm surprised we haven't heard more about that..... that really is the next tech step Google needs to keep up with the Joneses ;-)
    I don't think it's a face ID sensor, or at least the Russian bloggers didn't mention anything about an ID scanner in the sense that Apple has.

I think it's just a secondary camera for better selfies.
    09-15-2018 06:39 AM
    I don't think it's a face ID sensor, or at least the Russian bloggers didn't mention anything about an ID scanner in the sense that Apple has.

I think it's just a secondary camera for better selfies.
    You could be right, but it seems kinda over the top to have those 2 comparatively large cameras in that even comparatively larger notch just for better selfies...... you can't tell the difference between 1 or 2 cameras anyway, front cameras have gotten that good, like many have mentioned and shown. It just doesn't make sense... Google knew when they stuck that huge notch on the phone it was going to be controversial. I can't see them doing it strictly for super selfies.

There's gotta be a more sinister, conspiratorial reason LoL.
    09-15-2018 01:46 PM
    Has everyone forgotten that a new "face authentication framework" has been publicly in AOSP for 6 months now?

Here's a few key points.

"Add face authentication capability to TrustManager and Keyguard"

What's Keyguard? Oh, that's whatever it is that you use to bypass your lockscreen. Examples, a pattern, password, pin, swipe, fingerprint or your face.

"Unlike fingerprint, only one face template can be enrolled per user, and a vendor message is passed from the HAL all the way to the client callback to allow GUI indication about the enrolled face template".

What? Isn't there already "Trusted Face"? Yes, there is. And this isn't that. That is not considered biometric data, that is considered to be a form of avoiding locking, under the "Smart Lock" category of your settings, which includes On Body Detection, Trusted Places, Trusted Devices, Trusted Face and Voice Match. This does not use the same pathways.

But Mario! When I'm reading through the code, what in the world is "android.hardware.face"? That's a great question. I would suggest we ask Google that in 24 days.

The main reason this is interesting code, is because it modifies the TrustManager and Keyguard in order to "eliminate duplication[s]". Essentially, Trusted Face currently exists, whatever "face authentication" ends up being called is, would cause duplication of functionality, and so TrustManager is being modified to eliminate Trusted Face so that there isn't redundancy.

But Mario! Why do we think this will be in the Pixel 3 in 24 days, and isn't just some Pie in the sky (haha) thing Google wants to do at some point? I dunno, the heck do I know?

I just think it's a little interesting, as noted by Sam Afolabbi of TecHLecTor, that the guy who added all this code to the project is one of the main people at Intel who added similar functionality into Intel's RealSense, which is used by a whole lot of windows PC's to introduce face unlock functionality through Windows Hello. That doesn't indicate anything about the Pixel 3, but it does indicate that a somethign that reminds us of FaceID is coming to AOSP and replacing Trusted Face.

I think it'd be interesting if someone in the community who had a Pixel 3 or 3 XL or a Pixelbook 2018 (the one that doesn't look like the Surface) and could screenshot the settings on one of those devices.

That'd be neat. Personally I sorta like the FPS more than FaceID.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    09-15-2018 08:00 PM
    I can't see them doing it strictly for super selfies
    Allegedly, one of the front shooters is normal and the other is wide-angle, and it is able to improve the portrait mode in a major way. Partially due to to the shortness of the distance between the subject and the lens, a second lens is more advantageous on the front than it is on the back. On the rear shooter, the dual pixel technology can cover a lot of ground that the front cannot as easily benefit from because of the shorter distance.

The V40 has almost exactly the same notch setup with dual front cameras in pretty much the exact same configuration.
    Wait, do we know this already?
    DMP89145 likes this.
    09-15-2018 08:06 PM
    Allegedly, one of the front shooters is normal and the other is wide-angle, and it is able to improve the portrait mode in a major way. Partially due to to the shortness of the distance between the subject and the lens, a second lens is more advantageous on the front than it is on the back. On the rear shooter, the dual pixel technology can cover a lot of ground that the front cannot as easily benefit from because of the shorter distance.

Wait, do we know this already?
    Didn't htc have a dual camera for selfies on one of there phones?
    09-15-2018 08:53 PM
    You could be right, but it seems kinda over the top to have those 2 comparatively large cameras in that even comparatively larger notch just for better selfies...... you can't tell the difference between 1 or 2 cameras anyway, front cameras have gotten that good, like many have mentioned and shown. It just doesn't make sense... Google knew when they stuck that huge notch on the phone it was going to be controversial. I can't see them doing it strictly for super selfies.

There's gotta be a more sinister, conspiratorial reason LoL.
    I think having the second lens would help identify the object of the image using depth perception and help with edge detection for the bokeh effect. Like how having two eyes helps with depth perception.

I'm sure it'd also help with face unlock as well, but I think the second sensor is actually a camera and not a face ID sensor that uses IR and maps thousands of dots on your face to scan it and unlock the phone.

Happy to be wrong on Oct 9 though.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    09-16-2018 05:49 AM
    I think having the second lens would help identify the object of the image using depth perception and help with edge detection for the bokeh effect. Like how having two eyes helps with depth perception.

I'm sure it'd also help with face unlock as well, but I think the second sensor is actually a camera and not a face ID sensor that uses IR and maps thousands of dots on your face to scan it and unlock the phone.

Happy to be wrong on Oct 9 though.
    Those were my thoughts as well. While the front camera does a great job with portrait mode for selfies, I've seen on some of my own images where it blurs some things that shouldn't be blurred, like the frames of glasses or hair. I do think they'd benefit from having 2 cameras on the back for the same reason (doing bokeh shots of other people for example) but since I've never done those kind of shots personally with the rear camera, I can't say if they're affected the same way. Perhaps the rear camera is better quality and less immune to that than the front shooter, idk.
    09-16-2018 11:31 AM
    The more I read about the Pixel 3 xl the more I want a Pixel 2xl. They should have released the 2 after the 3! Then we'd all be pleased with bigger battery and no more notch!
    Ben_70 and J Dubbs like this.
    09-22-2018 01:34 PM
    Googles problem to me is they should concentrate on hardware as much as software.
    Have a total build.
    I Can Be Your Hero likes this.
    09-22-2018 02:36 PM
    Googles problem to me is they should concentrate on hardware as much as software.
    Have a total build.
    Agree. They're both equally important but Google just seems to only care about the software.

I mean if the Pixel 3 XL is the best design Google could come up with, then they should just completely outsource the hardware design to some other company, or move all the current designers to other projects and have HTC's designers take complete creative control of hardware.

The Pixel 3 XL is the ugliest phone of 2018 imo.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    09-22-2018 05:53 PM
    The Pixel 3 XL is the ugliest phone of 2018 imo.
    I take it you haven't seen the Hydrogen One.
    09-22-2018 07:51 PM
    I take it you haven't seen the Hydrogen One.
    Eh, that's not really a mass market product. It's a speciality phone for a market that the Pixel wouldn't be competing with.
    Yesterday 12:10 AM
    Eh, that's not really a mass market product. It's a speciality phone for a market that the Pixel wouldn't be competing with.
    All you said was it was the ugliest phone of 2018, you didn't have any qualifiers in that statement. And I would argue that this may be the ugliest phone...ever.
    Yesterday 10:35 AM
    But is the Big notch on the Pixel 3 XL gonna keep you from getting the phone next month.
    Along with it not having more memory ?
    Yesterday 10:37 AM
    All you said was it was the ugliest phone of 2018, you didn't have any qualifiers in that statement. And I would argue that this may be the ugliest phone...ever.
    Fair enough, but I still disagree. The notch on the Pixel 3 XL still makes it ugliest phone this year imo.

I'd be ok with the Hydrogen One phone design over the Pixel 3 XL.

But is the Big notch on the Pixel 3 XL gonna keep you from getting the phone next month.
    Along with it not having more memory ?
    Yes. The notch looks worse and worse with every leak to me. If this is the design team at Google, then I hope they all get removed and replaced with the HTC designers.

Really don't understand what they're thinking at Google. If the price isn't reasonable, then I'll skip on the Pixel 3 entirely and get the Note 9.
    Yesterday 04:16 PM
    The notch looks exactly the same in every leak and render. All the hyperbole is fairly unnecessary, simply don't buy it.
    osubeavs728 likes this.
    Yesterday 05:47 PM
    I think the guys that are on the fence about Google's notch maybe try go to the store and play with a phone that has one , you'll see it's not really that bad. Google is not the only phone with a notch pretty much all the OEM have it except Samsung probably due to the curved edges which first came out people didn't like . if you still dont like the notch Google has the regular 3 .
    Yesterday 06:18 PM
    For some reason - maybe because I'm getting used to them, it to specific shapes of them - notches don't cause me to hurl like they used to. My fiancé's LG G7 ThinQ is awesome and I like the notch; and the Pixel 3 looks really cool. It'll be too big for me, most likely; but I will still try it out in the store. And I still think it's a great-looking phone.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    Yesterday 06:25 PM
    Fair enough, but I still disagree. The notch on the Pixel 3 XL still makes it ugliest phone this year imo.

I'd be ok with the Hydrogen One phone design over the Pixel 3 XL.

Yes. The notch looks worse and worse with every leak to me. If this is the design team at Google, then I hope they all get removed and replaced with the HTC designers.

Really don't understand what they're thinking at Google. If the price isn't reasonable, then I'll skip on the Pixel 3 entirely and get the Note 9.
    The way I see it as, if you don't like the notch, it takes up like 1/20th of the total design. Now, IMHO, the Hydrogen One is around 60% ugly (can't really call the screen ugly without seeing it). I mean, are those supposed to be finger grooves on the side? And it looks like corrugated metal on the back. To add insult to injury they're charging $1500 for it? I'm sure the camera is phenomenal, it's a shame they let Stevie Wonder tackle the design.

As for the price being reasonable, it's pretty much a given that it's going to be the same as the 2XL. If it changes at all, it won't be much more or less. They're not going to all of the sudden drop the price hundreds of dollars after keeping the price the same for 2 years.
    Today 04:11 AM
    The way I see it as, if you don't like the notch, it takes up like 1/20th of the total design. Now, IMHO, the Hydrogen One is around 60% ugly (can't really call the screen ugly without seeing it). I mean, are those supposed to be finger grooves on the side? And it looks like corrugated metal on the back. To add insult to injury they're charging $1500 for it? I'm sure the camera is phenomenal, it's a shame they let Stevie Wonder tackle the design.

As for the price being reasonable, it's pretty much a given that it's going to be the same as the 2XL. If it changes at all, it won't be much more or less. They're not going to all of the sudden drop the price hundreds of dollars after keeping the price the same for 2 years.
    Seems like they are delaying the Hydrogen One till November.
    And I don't see a finger print sensor on it.
    Today 05:14 AM

Difference is the notch is always on the screen, always there every time you look at the screen, always intrusive. That's the one thing you look at every time you pull out your phone. So a screen with a notch that big to me is worse than the finger grooves or the camera design of the Hydrogen One.
    Today 06:28 AM
    Difference is the notch is always on the screen, always there every time you look at the screen, always intrusive. That's the one thing you look at every time you pull out your phone. So a screen with a notch that big to me is worse than the finger grooves or the camera design of the Hydrogen One.
    I do see your point. You will always see the notch. However, aren't there apps that help hide it if you so choose? I don't know how pervasive those are, though.
    Today 06:54 AM
    I do see your point. You will always see the notch. However, aren't there apps that help hide it if you so choose? I don't know how pervasive those are, though.
    I would assume that you should be able to hide it so it would look similar to how the 2XL looks now. I would never do that though because because by pushing the notifications up buys you more screen even if it's only a small amount.
    Morty2264 and Itsa_Me_Mario like this.
    Today 07:09 AM
104 ... 2345