Hard to believe

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
That the Pixel 3 sounds like its gonna have such a Small Battery with the Pixel 3XL phone.
And it's rumored that it will only have 4gb ram memory instead of 6.
They could at least build a slot that you could buy from Google and add more memory.

And no Micro SD card setup.
Google cloud storage is great. But what is you wanted to pull the micro SD card out and use it in your computer ?

Not interested in 2 DUAL camera lens that will probably be used for facial recogniition.
I'd rather have a better camera out front.

And on the 64GB of storage. Why not make a slot that you can buy from Google a 128Gb hard drive to upgrade to.
Phones are costing so much up front that they are getting harder and harder to buy.
I was just on a payment plan with verizon. Paid it off early and got penalized for doing it.
Under no circumstances do I want another payment plan on any phone for 24 months.
Do not like this option, Did it because of the discounts and regretted it for the whole time.

CAn't believe that upgraded processors and memory cost this much more for the phones to keep going up so much.
But I know everybody wants new phones just like me.

And when you get on the forums and hear so many people having problems with the new phones that they bought. It bothers you even even more about which phone to buy and what to do.
I have a fever for a new Pixel 3 XL phone. But have never owned Pixel...

Is anybody in the same boat as me.

Or am I just being paranoid.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
That the Pixel 3 sounds like its gonna have such a Small Battery with the Pixel 3XL phone.
They could at least build a slot that you could buy from Google and add more memory.

Google cloud storage is great. But what is you wanted to pull the micro SD card out and use it in your computer ?

Not interested in 2 DUAL camera lens that will probably be used for facial recogniition.

And on the 64GB of storage. Why not make a slot that you can buy from Google a 128Gb hard drive to upgrade to.
Phones are costing so much up front that they are getting harder and harder to buy.
I was just on a payment plan with verizon. Paid it off early and got penalized for doing it.
Under no circumstances do I want another payment plan on any phone for 24 months.
Do not like this option, Did it because of the discounts and regretted it for the whole time.

CAn't believe that upgraded processors and memory cost this much more for the phones to keep going up so much.

And when you get on the forums and hear so many people having problems with the new phones that they bought. It bothers you even even more about which phone to buy and what to do.

On the battery, I don't know why they made the 3XL's smaller. IIRC the regular 3 will have a slightly larger battery. Overall most don't have issue with battery life on the 2/2XL.

As for your issues with ram, microSD slots, or onboard storage, aside from the Nexus1, none of Google's Nexus/Pixels have had a microSD slot. And that phone was released in 2010, 8 yrs ago, that ship has sailed. As for expandable onboard storage and memory, no phone has that. You're thinking of laptops/desktop PCs, and not even all of those have that. The fact is, most of the memory chips are to small to make that happen, and if they did something like microSD for storage and RAM, it's connector would take up more space, and that means losing space for battery or other things. The problem is these devices are just too small for that.

As for the discounts Verizon offers (where they essentially lock you into a 2 year payment plan to get your full discount) I wholeheartedly agree. At least when they did actual 2 year contracts, you got your full discount right away, offsetting the costs if you wanted to upgrade more often that every 2 years. But that's on Verizon.

That's not isolated to smartphones. Research any product and you'll see people complaining about their purchase. Cars, appliances, consumer electronics, even firearms, none of them are immune to having issues. There are 2 things you have to remember when reading about product complaints. First the people who aren't having issues rarely come to forums and say "Everything's great". It's the squeaky wheel that gets oiled, aka people with issues are more vocal than those who have no issues. Second, forums aren't necessarily a good gauge to determine if a product is bad or not. They're only a small portion of the total users, and even then, how many of the total users on the forums are complaining? For example, if 100 people are complaining about an issue, but there are 10,000 users with that device, that means 1% of total users are affected. Then you get into the causes, and it may be due to setup (settings, apps, etc). Unless the issue is widespread, like around 25% affected, it's par for the course with any product.

Your best bet is to try it out and see if you like it. There are safeguards in place if you have issues (tryout periods where you can return the device, warranty periods, OEM support after the sale, etc). But go to any forum here and you'll see some people with issues. None are immune. You can and should do research on potential purchases, but take those findings in context and remember that there's no perfect product.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

The battery is a tad smaller than the 2XL. The 2XL has great battery life so I'm sure it will be fine.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I see....that bites!

Yeah, starting in 2016, Verizon stopped giving their phone discounts in one shot like they used to. So when you see them say phone A is $100 off, there's a disclaimer that instead of getting the deduction at time of sale or on the next bill, you get monthly bill credits (each 1/24th of the total discount), spread out over 24 months. So if you decide to upgrade after 12 months, and go to pay off your current device, you lose half of your discount.

As I've said both here and to Verizon, it's essentially a 2 year contract without calling it that. Except with the old 2 year contracts, if you got a discount, you got it right away in one lump sum. So if you upgraded after one year, you didn't lose your discount (or part of it) when you paid your device off. If I had a choice, I'd rather go back to the 2 year contracts with the full discount in one payment. At least then it doesn't seem like Verizon is penalizing you for upgrading.

If this is being done to stem turnover, the least they should do is give you the remainder of the discount when you pay off your device when you upgrade. You're not leaving, just getting a new device. If you want to leave your contract early, I could understand forfeiting your discount, as they'll be losing future revenue. It would be similar to the ETFs they used to have. But here they're making you choose between a new device or getting the discount that prompted you to upgrade to your current device.

Leave it to Verizon to take the loss of 2 year contracts and find a way to screw over their customers even worse then before.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I will not ever get on a payment plan again.
Can't upgrade to the Pixel 3 and keep the phone I have too.
The whole deal was so you would stay with them for 24 months.
I should of left them when they charged me 145.00
But I live in the country and nobody's service works here.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
The battery is a tad smaller than the 2XL. The 2XL has great battery life so I'm sure it will be fine.

It has a larger screen though. There's no excuse for not at least sticking with the same size battery.

Doesn't matter for me though because after seeing the leaks I went with the Note 9. My last Samsung was the Note 7 and returned it right away. Couldn't stand the UI and lag right off the bat. This time around has been different. I haven't seen lag yet and UI is better. I am actually loving the experience.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
It has a larger screen though. There's no excuse for not at least sticking with the same size battery.

Doesn't matter for me though because after seeing the leaks I went with the Note 9. My last Samsung was the Note 7 and returned it right away. Couldn't stand the UI and lag right off the bat. This time around has been different. I haven't seen lag yet and UI is better. I am actually loving the experience.

What is UI and what lag was you having, Lag with your pixel phone ?

Does the note still have Bixby and the bloatware ?

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I will not ever get on a payment plan again.
Can't upgrade to the Pixel 3 and keep the phone I have too.
The whole deal was so you would stay with them for 24 months.
I should of left them when they charged me 145.00
But I live in the country and nobody's service works here.

I'm in the same boat (live in the country) and between sparse coverage and steel siding on our house, we had to get network extenders to have reliable service in the house. We have AT&T also in the area, but with slightly worse coverage. And since their prices are in lockstep with Verizon, there's no reason to switch. Rumor is that we're a year or two away from T-Mobile covering our area, but I'll wait a bit to see if they're actually the same or better coverage wise.

I'm currently on a payment plan, but the offer I got with my Pixel 2 was a free Google Home Mini. So it made sense to go the payment route, that way I'm not shelling out a lot at one time, especially since there's no interest on the payments. I don't think they would up and charge me for the Mini if I pay it off, but we'll see when it happens. Worst case, I get the Pixel 3 without a plan.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
What is UI and what lag was you having, Lag with your pixel phone ?

Does the note still have Bixby and the bloatware ?

UI stands for user interface. It's the "skin" that some OEMs add on top of stock Android, like TouchWiz. The lag he's referring to is the dreaded Samsung lag thatany people complain about. I've only owned one Samsung phone, the Galaxy S3, and that was enough for me. Right off the bat the GPS was horrible, I had to use third party apps to get a lock. After a few months, it had lag. After about 8 months, it had about half the battery life it had at start, it had screen burn in (no not image retention, burn in), and loss of mobile data ( I could make calls, but no web surfing or downloads). While I hope worldsoutro's Note9 stays the same, the Samsung lag usually takes a month or two to rear it's head. Hope I'm wrong.

Yes it has Bixby, and what you're calling bloatware is most likely TouchWiz. It's not bloatware persay, but it does appear that way to some.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the same boat (live in the country) and between sparse coverage and steel siding on our house, we had to get network extenders to have reliable service in the house. We have AT&T also in the area, but with slightly worse coverage. And since their prices are in lockstep with Verizon, there's no reason to switch. Rumor is that we're a year or two away from T-Mobile covering our area, but I'll wait a bit to see if they're actually the same or better coverage wise.

I'm currently on a payment plan, but the offer I got with my Pixel 2 was a free Google Home Mini. So it made sense to go the payment route, that way I'm not shelling out a lot at one time, especially since there's no interest on the payments. I don't think they would up and charge me for the Mini if I pay it off, but we'll see when it happens. Worst case, I get the Pixel 3 without a plan.

No....you're OK if you pay early. Where you get hosed is if you bill credits spread out over 24 months.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
No....you're OK if you pay early. Where you get hosed is if you bill credits spread out over 24 months.

I think we're underestimating Verizon here. IIRC in the text of the Mini offer, it required you to sign up for a 24 month contract. So if that's the case and I pay it off early, I could see them charging me the full price for the Mini.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm the one that was complaining.
Been on and off the Phone with Verizon all Day.

Just talked with a Supervisor.
I was where I went to verizon and traded devices in to get a credit.
And got a promotional credit also.
But because I paid the device off early cause I want a Pixel phone. They charged me for getting off the promotional credit.
After talking to a supervisor. They have me a credit toward my account where I paid the device off early.
Was trying to explain to them that I wanted a new phone in like 3 weeks.
They give me a break.
I thanked them very much for their understanding.

Thank Everybody for the Help
Hope I didn't make too much confusion.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
UI stands for user interface. It's the "skin" that some OEMs add on top of stock Android, like TouchWiz. The lag he's referring to is the dreaded Samsung lag thatany people complain about. I've only owned one Samsung phone, the Galaxy S3, and that was enough for me. Right off the bat the GPS was horrible, I had to use third party apps to get a lock. After a few months, it had lag. After about 8 months, it had about half the battery life it had at start, it had screen burn in (no not image retention, burn in), and loss of mobile data ( I could make calls, but no web surfing or downloads). While I hope worldsoutro's Note9 stays the same, the Samsung lag usually takes a month or two to rear it's head. Hope I'm wrong.

Yes it has Bixby, and what you're calling bloatware is most likely TouchWiz. It's not bloatware persay, but it does appear that way to some.

It's not touchwiz anymore, Samsung Experience... since the 8+ and on no more lags
I have the s8+and s9+ no lags owned them from launch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2