Advice on buying a Pixel 3 (ATT)

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I went from AT&T to Google Fi about 3.5 years ago. My advice? Don't think about it anymore. Make the change. It was a fast and easy change. The support is so much better on Fi. Plus I save a ton of money every month.

No BS about trying to charge me extra when I tether. No BS of ripping me off if I go over my data. No huge charges when I travel Internationally. For me there has been no downside with the move.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I went from AT&T to Google Fi about 3.5 years ago. My advice? Don't think about it anymore. Make the change. It was a fast and easy change. The support is so much better on Fi. Plus I save a ton of money every month.

No BS about trying to charge me extra when I tether. No BS of ripping me off if I go over my data. No huge charges when I travel Internationally. For me there has been no downside with the move.

The only downside to going with Fi I suppose would be limited Device choices.

BCWARE

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site

That's the exact kind of feedback I am looking for. Considering taking my phone to Fi...wife and kids would have to remain on ATT. Did you make the switch at the ATT store or just through the website?

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
That's the exact kind of feedback I am looking for. Considering taking my phone to Fi...wife and kids would have to remain on ATT. Did you make the switch at the ATT store or just through the website?

If I pick up a Pixel (big if right now with all the little things I'm not liking about the Pixels on paper), I'd go into an ATT store and tell them what I want to do.

Maybe they can give me a good reason and incentive not to switch. But that's where I'd start to make sure ATT doesn't try to charge or at least you're aware of whatever ATT wants to charge you for.

movielover76

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
that's just a bs line they give everyone about bringing your own phone to AT&T. It works fine.
They'd just much rather you bought a AT&T branded phone that locks you into their network for the next 2 - 3 years

BCWARE

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
If I pick up a Pixel (big if right now with all the little things I'm not liking about the Pixels on paper), I'd go into an ATT store and tell them what I want to do.

Maybe they can give me a good reason and incentive not to switch. But that's where I'd start to make sure ATT doesn't try to charge or at least you're aware of whatever ATT wants to charge you for.

Interesting that you say that. I contacted them online and they said they would cut my bill $10...$20 if I signed up for automatic payment. They have no control over my phone or that line. I can walk at anytime.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Interesting that you say that. I contacted them online and they said they would cut my bill $10...$20 if I signed up for automatic payment. They have no control over my phone or that line. I can walk at anytime.

Doesn't sound like they tried real hard to keep you as a customer... That's not reassuring.

I already have auto payment and am currently in a family plan with my wife, but I still owe for my GS8.

BCWARE

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't sound like they tried real hard to keep you as a customer... That's not reassuring.

I already have auto payment and am currently in a family plan with my wife, but I still owe for my GS8.

Moved to Fi this afternoon at lunch. Shocking how fast and easy it was. Travelling a little this weekend so we will see how coverage is. Satisfied so far!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My buddy was considering a pixel, he talked to to at&t about a pixel.
They said we can't guarantee be you will get phone calls or text messages.
Nor software updates.
And we don't offer WiFi calling.

I asked is At&t madd cause Verizon is the main carrier.

That is just a dumb rep to be honest. I don't trust what a rep says lol.

It will work fully on AT&T network wise it just won't get WiFi calling since they reserve that for their branded phones only.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
That is just a dumb rep to be honest. I don't trust what a rep says lol.

It will work fully on AT&T network wise it just won't get WiFi calling since they reserve that for their branded phones only.

If it will not work on WiFi calling, he can't use it at home, and he can't use it at work.
So what good is the phone ?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Wouldn't be good for me either with all the trees in the woods around by me.

Yeah carriers are area dependent. I've been on Verizon for almost 2 years now and haven't even thought about wifi calling due to signal everywhere I've gone.