What notch?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
This is what I don't understand. This is Android. This is not Apple. Most of these companies (Huawei, OnePlus etc) that have included a notch have given you a way to "hide" the notch. Why did people think Google would not do the same? At least we have the option to hide the notch or embrace it.

This will be the first setting I change when I get the phone and then move on with my life. From what I've read and the pictures I've seen, when you hide the notch, it looks pretty much exactly like the Pixel 2 XL.

Exactly....all they did was move all hardware towards the center, making room for the status and notifications.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This is what I don't understand. This is Android. This is not Apple. Most of these companies (Huawei, OnePlus etc) that have included a notch have given you a way to "hide" the notch. Why did people think Google would not do the same? At least we have the option to hide the notch or embrace it.

This will be the first setting I change when I get the phone and then move on with my life. From what I've read and the pictures I've seen, when you hide the notch, it looks pretty much exactly like the Pixel 2 XL.

If they would of put the 2 camera to the left and notification in the center it would've looked weird.. so by design it has to be centered the camera and speakers . And now you have notification and status in the bezel not on the screen

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm confused - the photo in post 18 shows status/notifications in the black band hiding the notch. The photo in post 23 shows status/notifications below the black band. Which is it? Or is position a settings choice (which seems unlikely)?

TheAlmightyDrew

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm confused - the photo in post 18 shows status/notifications in the black band hiding the notch. The photo in post 23 shows status/notifications below the black band. Which is it? Or is position a settings choice (which seems unlikely)?

https://thenextweb.com/plugged/2018/10/10/heres-how-to-hide-the-pixel-3-xls-giant-notch/

From what I've seen, there are 4 different choices you have when hiding the notch. The two different pictures you are seeing may just be two of the 4 options. I am not sure. I wish someone would give us a clear video on what each options does.

Also keep in mind that the image in post #18 , you can see the word "concept". So the image in post 23 may be the real thing after its implementation.

Here is another picture:

DpKnij7XcAUFlNn.jpg

DpJxDbzX4AAlevy.jpg

Attachments

• bESvfUE.jpg
    bESvfUE.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 31

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Any way you look at it, it is hard to get the benefit of a 6.3 inch display. That is my issue. I can understand where it may not be an issue for others.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
https://thenextweb.com/plugged/2018/10/10/heres-how-to-hide-the-pixel-3-xls-giant-notch/

From what I've seen, there are 4 different choices you have when hiding the notch. The two different pictures you are seeing may just be two of the 4 options. I am not sure. I wish someone would give us a clear video on what each options does.

Also keep in mind that the image in post #18 , you can see the word "concept". So the image in post 23 may be the real thing after its implementation.

I originally thought that 23 was your own photo.

The picture that depicts it more accurately from the link you provided also explains it more clearly

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 32

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Here is another picture:

View attachment 291981

View attachment 291982

It's best they keep the notification in the bar instead of the screen like my 1+6

MattGeff

May 22, 2017
Visit site
After having tested out both Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL at a Google Event, I can confirm that the huge notch isn't that horrible and tends to be forgotten after a few minutes holding the device. Those screen are gorgeous, though, especially the XL one.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
After having tested out both Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL at a Google Event, I can confirm that the huge notch isn't that horrible and tends to be forgotten after a few minutes holding the device. Those screen are gorgeous, though, especially the XL one.

Thanks for sharing that

jfs101

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I finally found it in my heart to not hate the notch and respect it as extra space where there wasn't any. Kind of like what LG intended with the original V10 with the second screen.

badgerfrisch

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't really see an issue with the notch. The notifications fill up otherwise empty bezel freeing up more screen space.
It might have been lopsided with only one camera or just bezel.