Is it best to buy from VZ or Google directly? What about Project Fi or unlocked?

rcyphermd

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I am so confused. I have the Pixel 2. I bought it from VZ. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to buying it from VZ vs google? What is the deal with project Fi? Can I buy an unlocked and have it work on VZ?
Sorry for all the questions, I am just not sure I understand. Thanks in advance for your help!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Basically think of it this way -- Both versions are "unlocked" carrier wise. The Verizon one just has a locked bootloader whereas the Google ones doesn't.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Sure, a Pixel device purchased from Verizon (or any place identifying it as a Verizon model), you're going to get the locked bootloader. This has been a non issue for those who don't root their phones or tinker with customizable ROMs.

Google unlocked will grant you and unlocked bootloader and no other benefit above the Verizon version.

With Fi, you're getting the unlocked version and starting a service with Fi. They just offer it through Fi for customers considering making the switch.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
how about this possibility. Buying from Google get you an unlocked phone with might be easier to resell down the road?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
how about this possibility. Buying from Google get you an unlocked phone with might be easier to resell down the road?

Verizon is unlocked as well -- only the bootloader is locked. It will work on any carrier.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I know mu pixel 2 from VZ had 3 or 4 apps that I could not uninstall

I think you may be mistaken. There are no apps on the Pixel 2 XL from Verizon that cannot be uninstalled. This is coming from someone with a VZW Pixel 2 XL & using it for a year +.

mgftp

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Straight from Google for me as I don't want the locked bootloader. Really sucks Google isn't offering more pre-order incentive this year though.

ndonnine

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Project Fi costs my wife and me $89 a month. Also, Project Fi includes free expedited shipping which the google store itself does not.

bstsms

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The unlocked version is always the best choice and Google has awesome customer service for their phones. The Verizon version will most likely have bloatware where the Google version, unlocked or Fi version, is pure android. You will also be in the first push for updates if purchased directly from Google.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz