What are YOUR impressions of the Pixel 3/3 XL?

Mezzanine7

Jun 22, 2018
Visit site
We all have different viewpoints.
From my angle I saw the camera changes in hardware and software as massive improvements in something that I thought would be difficult to improve.

I can agree with that. The pixel line up has the best rated camera from what I've seen and heard. For them to take that and push the envelope even further is impressive. I just wonder if they have done enough to make potential buyers turn from Apple or samsung, etc to go to google. I guess time will tell.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure it'll be a great phone. that said, it doesn't appeal to me. To me it was bland, and they took a page out of Apple's book by selling you practically the same phone with little tweaks here and there. that said I am looking forward to the reports and feedback and people using the Pixel 3. From what I understand google didn't do so well selling pixels last year(correct me I I am wrong) and with the price I wonder if they can sell more this year.

Two good things I did like was they fixed the display and the front facing stereo speakers are %40 louder than last year's.
Yeah I totally get that. To me it's not that exciting either but it's practical and it just works. Also with Google being able to constantly update the camera, that's a win to me. And of course the support long term. But the form factor is perfect. The camera is regarded widely as the best. Wish they made a few different hardware choices but it is what it is. I really liked it more than I thought I would. The major thing though is the timing. If the Galaxy S10 was available right now that would be my choice but since it's not, Pixel 3 it is and I'll be fine with it for the next couple of years. Plus the added security will make this the perfect phone for running my business.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
We all have different viewpoints.
From my angle I saw the camera changes in hardware and software as massive improvements in something that I thought would be difficult to improve.
But realistically there are no hardware changes in the camera. It's the same hardware from last year. They don't even offer 4k60fps or 1080p240fps recording. The processing chips are new though and I'm excited to see the new Night Sight mode in action.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
But realistically there are no hardware changes in the camera. It's the same hardware from last year. They don't even offer 4k60fps or 1080p240fps recording. The processing chips are new though and I'm excited to see the new Night Sight mode in action.

You're leaving out the twin frontal cameras which is what I was alluding to in reference to hardware.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah but that's a given. There was room to make some changes where most people would've preferred: on the rear.

I'm not sure what that means "that's a given"
I don't take the frontal improvements for granted. Just adding wide angle alone is pretty good, however the two cameras will be working together to achieve even better results than the 3's predecessors. I would hold off reserving final judgement in either direction until we see what the full potential. As for the rear....yes I would have loved to see a wide angle there, however I believe the software enhancements they made will raise the bar on cellphone photography.

BTW....did you run through the settings on the camera? Anything in the way of manual settings?

Ethan Grimes

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
As much as I love Google and the Pixel brand, after seeing the 3 and 3 XL, I think I'll stick with my 2 XL for a bit longer. Make no mistake, I wouldn't shy away from a 3 XL handed to me, but overall I didn't really feel the changes announced merited dropping the kind of money being asked for what would, to me, be a marginal upgrade from 2 XL.

elav

Oct 9, 2017
Visit site
Pixel 3 XL.. meh! Ugly notch. In fact, my Pixel 2 tok a good selfies.
6c65539e562d804d238d0653e05c10f1.jpg

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
No manual settings but support for RAW+JPEG natively now which is a big plus.

Cool..... Though I stopped shooting RAW because editing is time consuming and software processing has gotten better, I may pick it up again. Just don't have the time right now

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok so my impressions after actually seeing it and testing it out in Best Buy is I gotta have it. The size is perfect. The finish does not feel like glass at all on the Just Black version except for at the top part. It feels really smooth and matte. The audio recording from the camera sounded nice. They didn't have it connected to WiFi so I didn't get to test out the speakers from anything but the short videos I recorded. All in all great experience and I can't wait to have mine. Also if you like weighty phones this one is not for you. Very lightweight but comfortable.//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181010/b290f6f71856ee395ea1ab7691a90d3a.jpg//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181010/2e46862ad6892ad0bf2598867e2b1a53.jpg

Is that the 3 or 3XL you are holding? I was thinking 3. How is the display?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
This is why I preordered a dbrand skin for the device. I was watching UrAvgConsumer's Pixel 3 video and the back of Pixel 3 XLs on display were already scratched up.

I was thinking of going that route. I actually prefer a clear skin but I'm not seeing any for the 3XL yet

stjeffy86

Oct 10, 2018
Visit site
I am very interested in the software/camera features of the Pixel 3XL. While the notch is pretty large I don't think it will bother me to much.

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
My only impression is the pricing of the smaller Pixel at $799. That is just...insane. I have bought the Pixel 1 and Pixel 2 and will not be buying the 3. Enough is enough with contributing to the greediness of corporate America. Honestly it was bad enough paying $650 (although I have been utilizing the T Mobile $325 credit so I got it for $325). A 23% increase is tough to swallow and I was truly stunned seeing that price bump.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae