Which Screen Protector?

SmoovC

Oct 11, 2018
Visit site
LOVE Intelliarmor products! I too have some on order, but with them not shipping for a couple of weeks I ordered the (cheaper) Verizon one and the IQ Shield Tempered Ballistic Glass from Amazon.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
We've all seen the videos. Knives, scissors, keys, nails etc won't scratch gorilla glass. But sand and dirt will, or a bad face first fall, especially without a case on it. Just be sure not to expose your screen to dirt or sand particles in pockets etc and you should be fine. Micro scratches are really the only concern and those are guaranteed if you expose your phone to dirt and grime. So as others have said, people who work construction or mechanics etc, then screen protectors are a must IMO. Otherwise a few simple precautions and you should be fine.

TemporalBeef

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Well I can tell you which one NOT to get: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6371824

Typical of new model screen protectors, this one is dot matrix and does not fit flush with the screen; so it makes that damn clicking sound when tapped. Further, touch sensitivity is horrible. Do yourself a favor and learn from my experience: stay away.

The Supershieldz one is similar

https://www.amazon.com/Supershieldz-Tempered-Protector-Anti-Scratch-Replacement/dp/B07F2PKJ3M/ref=sr_1_9?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1539879491&sr=1-9&keywords=pixel+3+xl+screen+protector

In fact, it looks exactly like the one you posted. Only the black portions of the screen protector had adhesive on it. $11 down the drain.

Back to browsing i guess. Looking forward to everyone's success stories here.

jasonaward

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I just received the Zagg InvisibleShield Glass+ VisionGuard from Zagg.com. There is very distinct lift off around the entire edge of the screen. Very disappointed. See attached images. They are sending me a replacement, but I seriously suspect it'll be the exact same.

MVIMG_20181018_125851.jpg
MVIMG_20181018_125902.jpg
IMG_20181018_125914.jpg
MVIMG_20181018_125924.jpg

SmoovC

Oct 11, 2018
Visit site
Holy sh!t. I wouldn't expect that from a $45 unit! Thanks for posting, and saving a lot of us the coin.

Last edited:

KrisYadao

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Zagg's glass has always been kinda janky. I worked at a Best Buy a few years ago and we were constantly throwing them out when trying to find an acceptable one when doing the paid installation service. Save your money and get a cheap 3 pack on Amazon, you'll likely get better results.

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
Zagg's glass has always been kinda janky. I worked at a Best Buy a few years ago and we were constantly throwing them out when trying to find an acceptable one when doing the paid installation service. Save your money and get a cheap 3 pack on Amazon, you'll likely get better results.

Thanks for this info - ZAGG glass screen saver arrived today - not thrilled with the fit - thought it must be me - glad I am not alone - more $$s doesn't always equal more goodness

BTSyndrome

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I just received the Zagg InvisibleShield Glass+ VisionGuard from Zagg.com. There is very distinct lift off around the entire edge of the screen. Very disappointed. See attached images. They are sending me a replacement, but I seriously suspect it'll be the exact same.

View attachment 292429

And for those getting the Verizon Tempered Glass Protector.... The one I got today does the exact same thing. The glass is just rounded so far from the edge that a working screen protector will need to be much smaller. (Pixel3 sized)

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
And for those getting the Verizon Tempered Glass Protector.... The one I got today does the exact same thing. The glass is just rounded so far from the edge that a working screen protector will need to be much smaller. (Pixel3 sized)

My Verizon one did the same as well. I ordered a 3 pack of Mr Shield from Amazon, so I loved the Verizon one and put it on. Still has a lift, but less. Verizon seemed to have about 1/8" lift from edges, the Mr Shield is about 1/16", but it doesn't fully cover the display either. It appears the 3 has more of a curved edge than the Pixel 2 had. These OEMs are starting to tick me off.

I doubt it'll be very long before the lifted edges will start to work their way inwards. I had this problem with the Pixel 2, it would typically take a couple months before I started to see bubbles underneath, but I fear it will be worse on the Pixel 3. Arrgh!

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
if I were anyone with a new device, is get something in the meantime while waiting for the whitestone dome. A little but of a pain in the process but once you get it on it's the best protector.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
My Zagg VIsion Guard tempered glass screen protector and Verizon tempered glass screen protectors are absolutely worthless. There's lift on the edges and none of them work with my Otterbox Defender. I have no idea why they made their screen protectors so damn long.

Waste of $70.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
if I were anyone with a new device, is get something in the meantime while waiting for the whitestone dome. A little but of a pain in the process but once you get it on it's the best protector.

But the problem is if their glass conforms well enough to the rounded edges to have a good seal. Since it appears that Google made the curves more pronounced then on the Pixel 2, it might make it harder to get a good fit.

My other worry with the Whitestone protector is that you're paying a lot for it, it's a more complicated application process, and you've got only one shot to get it right. If that's my only option for a good protector, I might just skip a screen protector altogether.

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
But the problem is if their glass conforms well enough to the rounded edges to have a good seal. Since it appears that Google made the curves more pronounced then on the Pixel 2, it might make it harder to get a good fit.

My other worry with the Whitestone protector is that you're paying a lot for it, it's a more complicated application process, and you've got only one shot to get it right. If that's my only option for a good protector, I might just skip a screen protector altogether.

Went a year with no screen saver on my P2 - "might just skip the screen protector altogether" on the 3 XL also.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Went a year with no screen saver on my P2 - "might just skip the screen protector altogether" on the 3 XL also.

I'm starting to think about returning my Pixel 3. There are some things I like, but mine has a noticeable red tint once you get around 30 degrees off axis, and even on axis white backgrounds look almost grayer when compared to my Pixel 2 (although it can get brighter than the 2). Tried out the speakers, and to my ears the volume sounds the same to slightly quieter than the 2, so I'm not seeing the 40% increase in volume either. Performance seems the same, although it'll take a day or 2 to get some idea on battery life. The camera seems to have ramped up the contrast and saturation a bit over the 2's camera. I don't know, between the screen protector and these issues I don't know if it's worth it to keep it.

I also found when looking at their 14 day return policy for any surprises, that they charge a $50 restocking fee regardless of returning or exchanging that I don't believe was there last I checked (to be fair it's been quite awhile since I had to consider returning a device. Maybe the red tint could be considered a defect. Anyways, that's where I am. Hope yours is going better.

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
I'm starting to think about returning my Pixel 3. There are some things I like, butine has a noticeable red tint once you get around 30 degrees off axis, and even on axis white backgrounds look almost grayer when compared toy Pixel 2 (although it does get brighter than the 2). Tried out the speakers, and toy ears the volume sounds the same to slightly quieter than the 2, so I'm not seeing the 40% increase in volume either. Performance seems the same, although it'll take a day or 2 to get some idea on battery life. The camera seems to have ramped up the contrast and saturation a bit over the 2's camera. I don't know, between the screen protector and these issues I don't know if it's worth it to keep it.

I also found when looking at their 14 day return policy for any surprises, that they charge a $50 restocking fee regardless of returning or exchanging that I don't believe was there last I checked (to be fair it's been quite awhile since I had to consider returning a device. Maybe the red tint could be considered a defect. Anyways, that's where I am. Hope yours is going better.

Sorry to hear of your disappointment I am very happy with my XL - Wanted the bigger screen for old eyes and clumbsy fingers - all good in this area. I was very happy to hear the improvement in the sound, hearing has never been that good so this was an unexpected benefit.
The notch, the RAM, and other things others complain about, are not an issue for me. For the present, I am 100% happy with the Pixel 3 XL.

Hope you can come up with something that satisfies your needs - Good Luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34