Did anyone notice that during the big Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL announcement ... Unless I missed it, No one said "Android" once?
    10-12-2018 03:44 AM
    What are you trying to say?
    10-12-2018 04:32 AM
    Did anyone notice that during the big Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL announcement ... Unless I missed it, No one said "Android" once?
    They did not and, as the article states that you're vaguely alluding to suggests, Google has been shifting to a product strategy around the Google brand for a couple of years now.
    10-12-2018 04:57 AM
    'Android' is a dirty word. Is associated with cheap, laggy phones with bad cameras. We all know that's not the case and there are plenty of fast phones with great cameras, but I believe that's the public perception of Android - cheaper, lower quality phones.

Looks like Google's strategy is to ditch saying it entirely so that the Pixel brand is not associated with it. Pretty funny, that the creator of the OS won't even mention the name of it in their product launch.
    verks likes this.
    10-12-2018 08:03 AM
    It could be delberate, but I don't see how it's necessary to mention Android. We all know it's Android.
    10-12-2018 10:04 AM
    Every Android phone I have when you restart the device says powerd by Android including the pixel

So I don't think that's going away
    10-12-2018 10:09 AM
    Every Android phone I have when you restart the device says powerd by Android including the pixel

So I don't think that's going away
    I think it's all about branding. There was a lot of confusion about Android for the general public. For example, how Android on the Pixels and Galaxy devices could look so different but both still be Android. So now they're making a clearer division between the 2. Instead of the Samsung Experience like they call it now, Google could call theirs Pixelated or Pixelized Android.
    10-12-2018 11:54 AM
    I think it's all about branding. There was a lot of confusion about Android for the general public. For example, how Android on the Pixels and Galaxy devices could look so different but both still be Android. So now they're making a clearer division between the 2. Instead of the Samsung Experience like they call it now, Google could call theirs Pixelated or Pixelized Android.
    Makes sense..
    10-12-2018 12:02 PM
    I think it makes complete sense. Google is wanting to utilize their strong brand name to move products and services. Think about the people who may not use an Android device but do use Google services, like maps for example. The Google brand has a lot of power even outside of Android and the should market their products and services exactly that way.

As an example, changing the name of Android Pay to Google Pay breaks down a barrier that some consumers may have associated with the Android brand. Making it Google Pay helps people on the web and other platforms understand the service better and opens utilization to consumers who may have otherwise been closed because they thought that service only worked on Android.

A Google Home Hub is a product for everyone is another example. Brand consistency is important for their message to reach their target audience, IMO.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    10-12-2018 12:41 PM
    It's no different with computers. It's called a Microsoft Surface Pro not a Windows machine
    DMP89145 and billchat like this.
    10-12-2018 02:48 PM
    I vote for Pixelized, without the Android.
    10-12-2018 05:13 PM