I wanna know your opinions about the notch.

Is the notch bad?

• Total voters

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'll say it better then again, nothing justifies the notch since we are talking about the top bezel only and not bottom bezel. True depth sensors in iPhone doesn't require a notch and they can do the same with top bezel. Same way Google can put a top bezel with it's two front facing cameras and whatever they put there. (Most Android OEMs anyway give the option to black out the notch area including google whose implementation of that could be better and may be they will in future update)

I get the point where you like the notch or not even though you have no interest in buying the pixel 3 XL. But don't get the point defending notches of others saying there is some reason to do that when you can do the same with top bezel. If your reason is they want a higher screen to body ratio then same applies to Pixel 3 XL. Should pixel also copied iPhone and went for a wider notch instead of deeper? May be. For me they both either look bad to you or you should be ok with either one imo.

violetta_ef

Oct 13, 2018
Visit site
I think people are overreacting about the notches in general. It's not that big of a deal. I mean the front camera needs its space, plus all the other sensors...

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I'll say it better then again, nothing justifies the notch since we are talking about the top bezel only and but bottom bezel. True depth sensors in iPhone doesn't require a notch and they can do the same with top bezel. Same way Google can put a top bezel with it's two front facing cameras and whatever they put there. (Most Android OEMs anyway give the option to black out the notch area including google whose implementation of that could be better and may be they will in future update)

I get the point where you like the notch or not even though you have no interest in buying the pixel 3 XL. But don't get the point defending notches of others saying there is some reason to do that when you can do the same with top bezel. If your reason is they want a higher screen to body ratio then same applies to Pixel 3 XL. Should pixel also copied iPhone and went for a wider notch instead of deeper? May be. For me they both either look bad to you or you should be ok with either one imo.

I will applaud manufacturers who use the notch to accommodate new components as well increase screen to body ratio. If they don’t do either but jump on the trend bandwagon, then it’s not worthy.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Let us differentiate standard components from components that are new and offering new experiences. Proximity sensor is something you always include and design for, so yea, there is nothing special about that piece of hardware.

What Google failed is to give a reason for notch. Even with this full screen as they say (which is not), screen to body ratio is just 82.8% while rest of the market has a larger screen to body ratio. This makes it a huge phone for sure but nothing applaudable. Even S9+ without a notch has a 83.9% screen to body ratio. Even OnePlus 6 has a 83.81% screen to body ratio.

So yea, the 3 XL notch doesn’t really bode well when you compare how well other manufacturers use it for what they claim - providing more screen real estate. That is why this design is questionable.

Again, it’s not about the existence of the notch itself, it’s the notch design and it’s use.

You don't like the notch so it's understandable that you think the way you but by consolidating all the sensors and moving the notifications up you get more screen so for my money it's justifiable. It really doesn't matter, it's a done deal.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I will applaud manufacturers who use the notch to accommodate new components as well increase screen to body ratio. If they don’t do either but jump on the trend bandwagon, then it’s not worthy.

Again the only thing the notch is achieving is increasing the screen to body ratio nothing else. You don’t need a notch to include that new components. It just happened apple decided to do both Face ID and increase screen to body ratio at the same time.

Anyway no one is going to change their opinion one way or the other. Everyone has already made up their mind and justification on how they see things (including me). This thread or million arguments in every pixel 3 videos or forums isn’t changing anything. I think I’m done with this subject and probably go enjoy my weekend

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I wonder how many of those now defending the notch, were criticizing or mocking it when apple first implemented it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
thing with Apple's notch is going in and out apps or scrolling you always see the notch , that's not the case with Google even you pull down the notification on Apple your greeted by the notch not on Google. Apple use to be the ones that took something and made it better . not in this case

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
your barely going to see the notch is there unless you want to have a staring contest with it lol

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I wonder how many of those now defending the notch, were criticizing or mocking it when apple first implemented it.

Not I.... Bought my daughter an iPhone X when they first came out......what difference does it make thought? Haven't you ever changed your mind on something?