I wanna know your opinions about the notch.

Is the notch bad?

• Total voters

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
It’s not a big deal at all. I had the iPhone X for a year and now the Xs Max. Trust me, this is just overblown. I ordered the 3XL And cannot wait for it.

ndonnine

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Doesn't bug me. Looks kind of cool and robotic if you use a white background. I ordered the smaller phone for one hand friendly use though.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
The notch in Pixel 3 XL is a useless design complexity that may have clearly avoided. Google for some bizarre reasons unknown chose not to. I used the Pixel at Best Buy and that notch is more hideous than the notch in my Xs Max. Also while the notch in an iPhone can be justified, literally there is nothing you can say to justify the notch in a 3 XL. Google could have easily chosen Samsung’s route of having tiny bezel/chin on the top and the bottom instead.

Google’s implementation of customizing the notch using the available developer options are good but not great. UnboxTherapy explains very well in his latest video of how you lose a lot of screen real estate once you hide the notch using those software options.

And yes, you can get used to the notch in a few days but I can’t get out of the fact that it’s an useless thing sitting there and staring at me for no reason.

cmb713

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
I'm debating the 3XL vs. Note 9 vs. iphone XL. Seems like the iphone has the biggest screen for video content but I'm not sure about the notch. When I am watching videos, are the screen sizes actually 6.5 inches or is it less with the notch? What about the Pixel XL 3? Is it really 6.3 inches or more like 5.5 if you hide the notch?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The notch in Pixel 3 XL is a useless design complexity that may have clearly avoided. Google for some bizarre reasons unknown chose not to. I used the Pixel at Best Buy and that notch is more hideous than the notch in my Xs Max. Also while the notch in an iPhone can be justified, literally there is nothing you can say to justify the notch in a 3 XL. Google could have easily chosen Samsung’s route of having tiny bezel/chin on the top and the bottom instead.

Google’s implementation of customizing the notch using the available developer options are good but not great. UnboxTherapy explains very well in his latest video of how you lose a lot of screen real estate once you hide the notch using those software options.

And yes, you can get used to the notch in a few days but I can’t get out of the fact that it’s an useless thing sitting there and staring at me for no reason.

Why is the X justifiable?

Rick Jacobs

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I went to Verizon yesterday to see the notch for myself, I did not think it was that big of a deal. I did see a video yesterday showing how Google offsets a YouTube video in landscape mode so the notch does not cut into the video. I'm ordering a 3xl from Google.

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I use a mostly black background and won't even notice it. I'll appreciate the notifications being used in that space.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
They could add a notch to the bottom also then it'd be balanced at least. Also would need no bezels at all which is what everyone seems to want. The 3XL I played with had the notch cropped off so it was not visible. But less screen so don't get that point either.
Those with a black background will see it whenever they are in a google app, or most other apps

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't like the Notch in the sense that I can be a little bit of a Videophile. The idea of losing video information into a black zone just so you could say your screen is edge to edge I don't like.

I am hoping for a comprimise between cutting off video in the notch zone and "hiding" the notch by not diplaying anything in the top left and right. If they can get it to the point that those two area's are used only for notification information and and everything else stays below it I will be a happy camper.

It was nearly a deal breaker. But the more I thought about it getting anything else might force me to change services, would mean losing the buttery smoothness of my PXL, and honestly everything else including the glass back with Wireless charging and decent weather protection, front facing speaks, are all things I have had and have missed on my PXL.

TheJastrom

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I actually was kinda shocked that there wasn't any kind of face unlock and that being the reason for the huge notch. I would most likely hide the notch as soon as possible.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't like the Notch in the sense that I can be a little bit of a Videophile. The idea of losing video information into a black zone just so you could say your screen is edge to edge I don't like.

I am hoping for a comprimise between cutting off video in the notch zone and "hiding" the notch by not diplaying anything in the top left and right. If they can get it to the point that those two area's are used only for notification information and and everything else stays below it I will be a happy camper.

It was nearly a deal breaker. But the more I thought about it getting anything else might force me to change services, would mean losing the buttery smoothness of my PXL, and honestly everything else including the glass back with Wireless charging and decent weather protection, front facing speaks, are all things I have had and have missed on my PXL.

It doesn't interfere with video

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I went to Best Buy yesterday to check it out and the notch didn't look that bad to me. For some reason it looks worse in photos IMO.

Torisen1

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't bother me and I like front firing speakers. I did see some pictures today of the 3 XL and 10s Max and you either want a longer top notch with less notifications (no dual front cameras but face I'd and no front facing speaker) to display or a narrower slightly deeper notch with the ability to display more notifications (plus the dual front cameras and speakers).

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Why is the X justifiable?
Face ID is the biggest reason why along with the fact that there is no chin at the bottom giving you that edge to edge display such devices are craving for. Face ID, being such an integral part of using the iPhone, gets used all the time and not have serves the purpose until Apple can completely move those sensors and camera behind the display.

If Google had the notch and no chin at the bottom like iPhones, I would appreciate them and totally applaud for coming out with a design where you target larger screen to body ratio like other manufacturers are doing.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't interfere with video
We are seeing different things with video apps so far from reviews. For example, when playing YouTube videos in the non-zoomed mode which is the default, the video is off centered. It probably doesn't respect the notch yet but if it doesn't, that would be the case for many other apps too. iPhone X went through this same phase last year.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX