pixel 3 xl vs iphone xs max vs samsung note 9. Which is best?

djisia87

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I guess it depends on what experience and eco system you want to have. The reason I decided to stick with Pixel device: software update ( no 6+ months delay like samsung), the best camera on the market ( fingers crossed), guranteed 2 years OS + 1 year security patches, clean android experience, no duplicate apps ( we know sammy has a ton of them), 2 variants different screen sizes vs one giant phone.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I wonder what the vast amount of responses will be in this Pixel 3 forum. :p

In all seriousness, I've used two of the three (and played with the Pixel 3 XL on demo) and I vastly prefer the Pixel 3 XL. The display looks better than the display on the other two devices. On the Note 9 you get more RAM and more storage space, but the regular software updates aren't there. On the iPhone XS Max, you also get more storage, and you get the excellent customer service associated with that. If you have a problem with the device, bring it in to an Apple Store and they'll take care of you. But then you're restricted in iOS.

Each device has its trade-offs. You'll have to decide which one fits into your life the best.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I know everybody makes a big deal about software updates but honestly half the time they break as much as they fix. and of course you really need to do a factory reset to finish ironing out the problems.
For me if the next software isn't bringing something great to the table I just as soon not go through with it.
If the battery life is gonna be better or the camera then it may be worth it. I've been happy with my last few Samsung devices just like they came.
I've tried the pixel 2 and the iPhone x and while they are great devices they lack some things the Samsung's come standard with . With the pixel 3 the gap gets worse compared to my s9. As far as I can see after playing with the new pixel at best buy it's really just the camera that's it. And while I admit pixels have the best cameras it's just not enough to make up for some other short comings. Of course this is just my perspective based on how I use my phone.

I think the average Joe could care less about updates.

My daughter refused to update her iPhone 7 from 10.Whatever just because she didn't like the changes in 11.0.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Depends on what your metrics for 'better' are. What I deem as important may be something you don't care for.

But being as objective as I can, of the three, I think the iPhone XS Max would be the best for the general consumer, then the Note 9, then the Pixel 3 XL. If you have specific things you really like, then go see how those three phones address them and decide from there, but I think the iPhone XS Max is the best overall device. Has the cleanest and easiest to use user interface, great features, iMessage is excellent, great cameras etc.

Note 9 looks like the best android consumer product as it offers a tonne of functionality, great battery, speedy performance and all around great cameras.

Pixel I'd say is more of an enthusiast device for those who really know what they want. It doesn't offer as much as competitors and isn't as competitively priced, but it also offers a unique set of features, great cameras and great user interface.

Umbrokhan

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Samsung Note 9 is clear winner here. nothing can beat the S-Pen.
Samsung Note 9 is full of features so it's more fun to play with.
Samsung has local store in major city to help customer's
samsung has 2 year's major updates
samsung flagship phone take's 5 to 6 months to get a new major update.
samsung has SD card slot.
old quick charge 2.0... why samsung?

Google Pixel 3 XL is stock android , fast updates that even android One phone also have.
Google Pixel 3 XL if you like big notch, big chin,
Google Pixel 3 has 3 years major updates.
no local Google store to help customers
Google Pixel quick charge 4.0+ ?????
Google like taking your privacy and data to make money on adverts

iPhone you get better privacy and data protection
iPhone you get 6 years major updates'
iPhone you get local Apple store to help customer's
iPhone you get better Re-sale Value.
iPhone has fast updates, smooth Ui, runs fast
iPhone don't have a chin.
iPhone has the fastest CPU on a single Core.
ipHone has the best ecosystem
no quick charge in the box...why Apple?

all camera on three phone's above will be good for an average joe.

Last edited:

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
The only "best" is what's best for the individual user. IMO out of these choices, I think the iPhone is the best for the "out of the box" crowd, then the Pixel 3 for the simplicity of use, then the Note 9; great device but is niche product.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Depends on what your needs are.

Xs Max, Pixel 3 XL - provide the best software, updates, camera on their respective platforms. Obviously people debate and fight over this so I'll say IMO.

Samsung Note 9 - for those who want best hardware with polished great software and don't care about updates since Samsung has most features built into their Samsung experience and they follow their own update cycle. Also, if you want SD card and headphone jack Note 9 is your option since iPhone and Pixel don't provide that option.
Camera is not the best but if you don't go look comparing photos it does a great job.

You got to choose between Android and iOS first, and then you have to choose a phone within Android based on what your needs are.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I know everybody makes a big deal about software updates but honestly half the time they break as much as they fix. and of course you really need to do a factory reset to finish ironing out the problems.
For me if the next software isn't bringing something great to the table I just as soon not go through with it.
If the battery life is gonna be better or the camera then it may be worth it. I've been happy with my last few Samsung devices just like they came.
I've tried the pixel 2 and the iPhone x and while they are great devices they lack some things the Samsung's come standard with . With the pixel 3 the gap gets worse compared to my s9. As far as I can see after playing with the new pixel at best buy it's really just the camera that's it. And while I admit pixels have the best cameras it's just not enough to make up for some other short comings. Of course this is just my perspective based on how I use my phone.

I think the average Joe could care less about updates.

My daughter refused to update her iPhone 7 from 10.Whatever just because she didn't like the changes in 11.0.

I have not come across the issues you mentioned in the first paragraph

LuxuryTouringZone

Trusted Member
Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
The best in terms of what? Features? Hardware? Software?

From best to worst in terms of software optimization: iPhone Xs Max, Google Pixel 3 XL, Samsung Galaxy Note 9.

From best to worst in terms of hardware: Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone Xs Max, Google Pixel 3 XL.

Features: They all have goods and tricks in their UIs.

Looks (Extremely subjective): Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone Xs Max, Google Pixel 3 XL.

Of course, there are plenty of other categories where they could be stacked, such as camera, connectivity and so forth.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I have not come across the issues you mentioned in the first paragraph

Well to be honest I haven't ether lately. But then again I only use maybe 2 app that didn't come factory on my phone.
But I do see a good many posts talking about the need to factory reset after a system update. It's not hard to find people having issues after a update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995