• Pixel 3

18 78.26%
  • Galaxy S9

5 21.74%
10-18-2018 05:52 PM
34 12
tools
    The S9 isn't that small
    The S9 is significantly smaller than the 3 XL.
    10-17-2018 07:37 AM
    I've had an S6, Note 5, and S7 now and although Samsung does certain little things better than stock Android, the newest version of the Samsung OS started getting really annoying. Why do I need an unclearable notification that my battery is at 100%? Why do I need one that tells me an app is running when I'm clearly using it? And the redundant apps are so pointless. Not a fan of the super long screen on the S9 either.
    10-17-2018 07:58 AM
    Samsung has excellent hardware. If they had a phone that ran absolutely stock Android I'd consider getting one. But, their ego gets in the way.

I've ordered the Pixel 3 but won't see it till January when my sister visits from the U.S. I prefer the size of the Pixel 3 but don't understand the rage over the "notch". Of course, I never understood the rage over bezels, either.
    Coop61 likes this.
    10-17-2018 09:03 AM
    I dealt with enough OEM optimized Android phones in the past but honestly TW is probably the most invasive, most different, most bloated of all of them. I will give Samsung kudos for taking it from the dog it was to what they have now. But as someone that has been mostly Android since 2009, I will not get a Samsung phone till TW dies, even getting an Iphone over a Samsung.
    10-17-2018 03:32 PM
    I upgraded from an S8 to the Pixel 3 and was also torn between the S9 and the Pixel 3. The $180 price difference made it an especially tough decision, on top of the Samsung trade in program that increased the S8 trade in price to $400...so the S9 would only have cost me $220 plus tax to upgrade to.

Ultimately I decided to get the Pixel 3 with the main benefit being stock android. Constantly disabling/hiding Samsung's duplicate app store, calendar, tasks, fitness, email, photo gallery and other apps gets annoying. I found a pretty effective method to disable un-disable-able (is that a word?) apps with the app BK Manager, but every now and then apps randomly reinstall themselves as Samsung packages certain apps with updates. There's even a Facebook app installed on the phone that I have disabled but it will re-enable itself when I do OS updates sometimes. This is pretty ridiculous for an unlocked phone. I can't imagine how bad an AT&T or Verizon phone is.

Additionally, after trying a Pixel 3 in store, I was really impressed by the screen and the usability of the new Android Pie gestures. The Pixel 3 screen is better than the screen in my old S8.

In my opinion, the only negatives of the Pixel 3 vs the S9 is the higher price of the Pixel, uncertainty around how scratch prone the laser etched frosted glass back will be, and the slightly larger bezels which isn't really a negative to many if you consider that you're getting better front facing speakers, and somewhere to hold on to while watching videos in landscape mode.
    10-17-2018 10:46 PM
    I really like the Samsung Note 7 while I had it, but when I switched to the Pixel XL, I realized how much of my stuff got pulled into the Sammy ecosystem and that I could not use once a Sammy phone was not an option. For me, splitting my stuff between to ecosystems is not desirable and I am not ready to be all in with Samsung. There is a lot that I like about the Note 9 -- secure folder, S-Pen, Sam Pay etc. -- but I don't like them enough to deal with the bloatware and bifurcation.

I also have not been impressed with the build quality of my previous Samsung phones -- my Note 4 and Nexus both died prematurely. The newer phones seem better built, but I don't trust them.

In the end, I prefer the camera, clean Android experience and the early beta OS option of the Pixels.
    10-17-2018 11:01 PM
    Value of Pixel is simplicity, best camera, great hardware overall even though some people like to dispute without even owning the phone, great software with fast platform and security updates.

You buy S9, if you value ton load of features, headphone jack, best display and hardware. And you don't care about what version of Android it runs etc. S9 also has a good software experience and many people like it because it's filled with features. You might also get better deals for it since it's been out of 6 months and you will also have better accessory support in terms of cases etc.

So comes down to what you want. Personally I like what Pixel provides and it'll be my first Android choice but you do what you like.
    10-17-2018 11:03 PM
    between these 2, pixel 3 definitely wins because of much faster software updates and clean-stock android.
    As always, it's a matter of perspective. Like many, I will run Nova on any phone I buy, so "stock android" is meaningless to me. As for "faster updates", meh. That's a nice to have, but by no means a dealbreaker. Hell, I can't even recall the last time they rolled out a new feature that I simply couldn't wait to have. For me, both of these would rate well behind expandable memory and headphone jack.
    10-18-2018 07:15 AM
    I had the same issues with the S7 I used to have.
    10-18-2018 05:52 PM
34 12