I researched and couldn't find any articles about the"real" screen size when you hide the notch. Let's be honest, that it's just another bezel disguised as extra screen real estate. I went to Best Buy yesterday and compared the Pixel 2 XL against the 3XL while viewing Chrome. While I did not pull out a ruler to measure the screen dimensions, to the naked eye the screens on both devices were exactly the same. So I'm wondering if the Pixel 2 XL is actually a better deal right now.
    10-14-2018 08:06 AM
    I researched and couldn't find any articles about the"real" screen size when you hide the notch. Let's be honest, that it's just another bezel disguised as extra screen real estate. I went to Best Buy yesterday and compared the Pixel 2 XL against the 3XL while viewing Chrome. While I did not pull out a ruler to measure the screen dimensions, to the naked eye the screens on both devices were exactly the same. So I'm wondering if the Pixel 2 XL is actually a better deal right now.
    What about the other improvements?
    10-14-2018 08:17 AM
    I really didn't notice any physical improvements. I think most is software based and slightly better photos?
    10-14-2018 08:19 AM
    What about the other improvements?
    In my short time playing with Pixel 3, 3XL and 2XL at Best Buy yesterday I noticed that both Pixel 3 models felt substantially lighter and faster than the 2XL for what it's worth.

Camera launched faster, chrome opened faster. Everything was just so much quicker. Also faster than my GS8... As it should be on newer hardware.

I miss the three button nav system, but I think I could get used to the gestures pretty easily.
    10-14-2018 12:28 PM
    In my short time playing with Pixel 3, 3XL and 2XL at Best Buy yesterday I noticed that both Pixel 3 models felt substantially lighter and faster than the 2XL for what it's worth.

Camera launched faster, chrome opened faster. Everything was just so much quicker. Also faster than my GS8... As it should be on newer hardware.

I miss the three button nav system, but I think I could get used to the gestures pretty easily.
    The 845 chip is awesome
    The pixel 2xl and gs8 have the 835 which good but the newer chip is that much better.
    10-14-2018 12:30 PM
    The 845 chip is awesome
    The pixel 2xl and gs8 have the 835 which good but the newer chip is that much better.
    Clearly. I did play with a Note and GS9 while there and wasn't very impressed, perhaps because I'm done with curved screens.

Beautiful looking, but I'm beginning to realize I want function over form (flat screen instead of glary curved, optimized Android over laggy OEM skins)
    billchat, recDNA and WarBeagle like this.
    10-14-2018 01:27 PM
    Clearly. I did play with a Note and GS9 while there and wasn't very impressed, perhaps because I'm done with curved screens.

Beautiful looking, but I'm beginning to realize I want function over form (flat screen instead of glary curved, optimized Android over laggy OEM skins)
    Everyone has different things they like about phones , but the note 9 doesn't lag and it's well optimized. Even how well the note 9 is my 1+6 will blow it away in speed and including my pixel but that phone also is not for everyone.
    So what I'm trying to say to you is will see better performance and battery life do to the sd845 .
    I see it in my note 9,s9+,1+6 it's a good chip
    Kalvin Kerns likes this.
    10-14-2018 01:46 PM
    I really didn't notice any physical improvements. I think most is software based and slightly better photos?
    New processor, 2nd camera, better display. Software improvments count.
    10-14-2018 03:28 PM
    don't forget display is better, the stereo speakers, wireless charging,haptic feedback. and some other under the hood enhancements.
    10-14-2018 03:57 PM
    Does the P3 use last years camera and just improve software or is it a new camera module?
    10-14-2018 04:17 PM
    Does the P3 use last years camera and just improve software or is it a new camera module?
    Same Camera.
    10-14-2018 04:18 PM

Can you explain a little more about what you mean regarding the three button nav system? I have the XL on the way, coming from an OG pixel XL. What is the new way to go back, home and to recently used apps?
    10-14-2018 04:33 PM
    Same Camera.
    Thanks
    10-14-2018 04:36 PM
    Can you explain a little more about what you mean regarding the three button nav system? I have the XL on the way, coming from an OG pixel XL. What is the new way to go back, home and to recently used apps?
    I meant the new gesture system vs the three buttons we're used to (back, home and open apps).

I'll be honest, I don't really know how to use the gestures or how to use the new system so I'm not really qualified to answer your question.
    10-14-2018 04:39 PM
    The improved display is a huge difference. The 2 XL was garbage, and easy to tell the difference.
    10-14-2018 04:41 PM
    Same Camera.
    I've read that it's a slightly updated version of the 2 XL camera with wider dynamic range.
    10-14-2018 04:41 PM
    I've read that it's a slightly updated version of the 2 XL camera with wider dynamic range.
    I may have missed that. I'll check it out. Thanks!

EDIT: Ah yes, new sensor. Megapixel count is the same, but the unit got a bump.
    10-14-2018 05:00 PM
    The improved display is a huge difference. The 2 XL was garbage, and easy to tell the difference.
    I compared my 2XL right next to the 3XL. There are differences but I would hardly consider the 2XL's display garbage. I'm glad for the improvments though and looking forward to my 3XL.
    Torisen1 and bkrickles like this.
    10-14-2018 05:16 PM
    I meant the new gesture system vs the three buttons we're used to (back, home and open apps).

I'll be honest, I don't really know how to use the gestures or how to use the new system so I'm not really qualified to answer your question.
    Basically, it works like this (and anyone chime in if I'm wrong or miss something).

The pill is the home button, a short swipe up from the pill brings up your recent apps, a second short swipe (or a single long swipe) up from the pill brings up the app drawer. The back button appears whenever you're able to go back (in an app, in the settings, in the browser, etc). Long pressing the pill brings up Google Assistant (like it previously did long pressing the home button).

It's really.not any worse than the single & double swipe down for the notification shade & quick tiles. I decided to start using it since it was seemed like that's the direction they we're heading, and honestly it's second nature now. It really only took a few days to get used to, and I've been using Android since 2010 (my first phone had 4 buttons: home, menu, back, and search).
    billchat and Davidoo like this.
    10-14-2018 05:41 PM
    Basically, it works like this (and anyone chime in if I'm wrong or miss something).

The pill is the home button, a short swipe up from the pill brings up your recent apps, a second short swipe (or a single long swipe) up from the pill brings up the app drawer. The back button appears whenever you're able to go back (in an app, in the settings, in the browser, etc). Long pressing the pill brings up Google Assistant (like it previously did long pressing the home button).

It's really.not any worse than the single & double swipe down for the notification shade & quick tiles. I decided to start using it since it was seemed like that's the direction they we're heading, and honestly it's second nature now. It really only took a few days to get used to, and I've been using Android since 2010 (my first phone had 4 buttons: home, menu, back, and search).
    A few days, slow poke 😋 just kidding, yeah it was easy to learn and I like it better than the 3 button method.
    10-14-2018 05:46 PM

Good deal, thank you.
    10-14-2018 05:48 PM
    Just my opinion but I find the gestures stupid. Also there is still a bar across the bottom with gestures. Which is kinda dumb when they should give you an option to auto hide it. Like other companies that let you auto hide the nav buttons.
    In saying that it would give you more screen.
    10-14-2018 09:37 PM
    Just my opinion but I find the gestures stupid. Also there is still a bar across the bottom with gestures. Which is kinda dumb when they should give you an option to auto hide it. Like other companies that let you auto hide the nav buttons.
    In saying that it would give you more screen.
    Yet another reason I use Nova Prime launcher.
    Davidoo and mwboost like this.
    10-14-2018 09:52 PM