Anyone made the leap?

Leslie Hatcher

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I really want a Pixel 3. My problem is, my current carrier is Xfinity Mobile. On their forums, they really dont want you to bring a Pixel to their network, because Androids BYOD, aren't supported. So, one option I have is to port out to Google Fi. My question is, what do I need to be prepared for, if I port out? Will I be losing anything, like having dropped calls, loss of good signal, etc? I'm really ticked that Xfinity hasn't upped their game yet, to BYOD for Android. I currently own a Samsung s9. So the regular Pixel 3 is what I would be getting. I'm just nervous to make the jump to Project Fi, which is fairly new. We have wifi at home, so data usage wont be much of a factor.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Simply get it and slap your SIM in and it should connect up. They of course don't want to active one (on a new account or something) since they would rather you buy from them.

Xfinity is Verizon. They aren't some special carrier. Want to test it out? Get a friend with a Verizon phone or something, take their SIM out, and slap yours in. See if it connects up. If it does -- it will do the same thing with the Pixel.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I haven't done it but I've heard great things about Fi from members like @TraderGary who made the leap. He should be able to explain the good and bad. Can't say that I've heard him say anything bad though.

Leslie Hatcher

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
My problem with Project Fi is the fact that they use Sprint. We used to have Sprint, years ago, and their coverage was spotty and it is super annoying that you cant be on a call and use data simultaneously. Supposedly now, though, Sprint brags that their coverage is better and comparable to Verizon. Not sure that is the case, but like I said, I haven't had Sprint in years. We do have Xfinity wifi at home, so I suppose wifi calling would work at home. Xfinity Mobile works great, great coverage (since they use VZW towers) and I have zero complaints about their service. But, they are limited on things such as BYOD for Android. I'm such a noob and need all the help I can get!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Supposedly now, though, Sprint brags that their coverage is better and comparable to Verizon. Not sure that is the case

It isn't. In their merger papers (they are trying to merge w/ T-Mobile) they blantly admit they can't compete. The "1% of Verizon" is strictly on talk/txt not data. Typical marketing.

njgill05

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
My problem with Project Fi is the fact that they use Sprint. We used to have Sprint, years ago, and their coverage was spotty and it is super annoying that you cant be on a call and use data simultaneously. Supposedly now, though, Sprint brags that their coverage is better and comparable to Verizon. Not sure that is the case, but like I said, I haven't had Sprint in years. We do have Xfinity wifi at home, so I suppose wifi calling would work at home. Xfinity Mobile works great, great coverage (since they use VZW towers) and I have zero complaints about their service. But, they are limited on things such as BYOD for Android. I'm such a noob and need all the help I can get!

I've been on Fi for the past few years and my experience is that it works better than the other providers because it switches between T-Mobile and Sprint and I think US Cellular. So in city coverage is great, and I've had excellent LTE speeds. When I drive to the middle of nowhere CT to visit family Fi is the only one where I maintain LTE coverage while driving as it uses Sprint in the rural hinterlands where their coverage is quite good. I also love that when I fly to Europe my phone just automatically connects with the same number/pricing and I don't even have to think about it. Also as I stay around 2 gigs of data use it's still cheaper than anything other than prepaid monthly plans. I'm a fan.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

You don't need to use Sprint on Fi...

You can download an app that will force a different connection. I use Fi Switch and have never once connected to Sprint..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cheekydevs.fiswitch&hl=en_US

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

Project-Fi is actually setup to dual home. It will use T-Mobile as the primary service (which is why Fi's global policies basically match Tmobiles). It uses Sprint as the back up service, on top of using Wifi-calling, It will even use local open networks automatically and create a VPN to Googles network and use that for data and phone calls if needed. Honestly I have yet to be disappointed in its coverage. Though I don't get a whole lot away from general civilization.

strykerpks

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
As others have mentioned, Fi service switches between Sprint, TMobile and US Cellular and allows wifi calling as well. That is the best feature imo as my in laws live in the boonies with 0 cell coverage. The only drawback to Fi is if you use a lot of data. Then it is not cost effective. You pay $10/gb up to $60.

I'm on WiFi most of the day so it works for me. I average about 1.5-2gb per month so with device financing, data, and calls/text I'm at about $75/month

Leslie Hatcher

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Another thing keeping me from pulling the plug is:

my perfect idea, would be to purchase a Pixel 3 from the Google store, pay for it outright, and use my Xfinity mobile SIM in it. But how long would it take for me to notice that scenario doesnt work. I know Google has a 15 day return period, but what if it take 3 months for things to possibly mess up? Then I would be stuck with a $800 phone that doesnt work. Though i suppose then, i could switch to Project Fi? I am so terrible at making decisions.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Another thing keeping me from pulling the plug is:

my perfect idea, would be to purchase a Pixel 3 from the Google store, pay for it outright, and use my Xfinity mobile SIM in it. But how long would it take for me to notice that scenario doesnt work. I know Google has a 15 day return period, but what if it take 3 months for things to possibly mess up? Then I would be stuck with a $800 phone that doesnt work. Though i suppose then, i could switch to Project Fi? I am so terrible at making decisions.

If it works from day 1 it won't just stop working 3 months later for no reason. The phone from Google is unlocked for all carriers and since Xfinity's main is Verizon and Verizon is the "official" carrier -- You will be fine.

Also yes you could just swap to Fi --- IF that happened but it really wouldn't. Speaking from a technical standpoint here.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
And, if I ported out to Project Fi, what happens if I want to port back to Xfinity in the future?

Technically nothing but if Xfinity doesn't like BYOD they could potentially not "activate" it. Basically they are saying they won't active / start up a new SIM for a phone they don't approve but if a SIM is already active (like yours) and gets swapped to another phone they won't block it. This is normal from Verizon for many years.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I haven't done it but I've heard great things about Fi from members like @TraderGary who made the leap. He should be able to explain the good and bad. Can't say that I've heard him say anything bad though.

TraderGary here...
Kate and I were on Sprint here in the Atlanta area for 15 years. We never had a problem with Sprint except for the pricing. When we switched to Fi we were paying Sprint about $135/mo.

Here in the Atlanta area (I live halfway between Atlanta and Athens) Fi switches transparently back-and-forth between T-Mobile and Sprint. We're on T-Mobile about 75% of the time but when Sprint is stronger Fi switches transparently to Sprint. I've never been without a connection and with WiFi calling I'll have data in the middle of steel buildings and the middle of restaurants where I never had a good cell connection before.

Kate and I both office from home and our home Comcast XFinity WiFi has a solid 180 Mbps down and 14 Mbps up. I have an acreage at lake level with hills surrounding me. I have no cell coverage inside my house but WiFi calling works flawlessly. There is WiFi literally everywhere we go in the Atlanta area. Fi looks for a WiFi connection first before it will settle for a cell connection. Of course this makes perfect sense for both Fi and me!

Here's my actual Fi bill for both our phones for the last 6 months with all data and fees included:
46.68 Oct
46.88 Sep
46.35 Aug
47.26 Jul
52.73 Jun
46.34 May

We love Google Project Fi.
Hope this is helpful.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
TraderGary here...
Kate and I were on Sprint here in the Atlanta area for 15 years. We never had a problem with Sprint except for the pricing. When we switched to Fi we were paying Sprint about $135/mo.

Here in the Atlanta area (I live halfway between Atlanta and Athens) Fi switches transparently back-and-forth between T-Mobile and Sprint. We're on T-Mobile about 75% of the time but when Sprint is stronger Fi switches transparently to Sprint. I've never been without a connection and with WiFi calling I'll have data in the middle of steel buildings and the middle of restaurants where I never had a good cell connection before.

Kate and I both office from home and our home Comcast XFinity WiFi has a solid 180 Mbps down and 14 Mbps up. I have an acreage at lake level with hills surrounding me. I have no cell coverage inside my house but WiFi calling works flawlessly. There is WiFi literally everywhere we go in the Atlanta area. Fi looks for a WiFi connection first before it will settle for a cell connection. Of course this makes perfect sense for both Fi and me!

Here's my actual Fi bill for both our phones for the last 6 months with all data and fees included:
46.68 Oct
46.88 Sep
46.35 Aug
47.26 Jul
52.73 Jun
46.34 May

We love Google Project Fi.
Hope this is helpful.

That is awesome! I wish this was my year to switch from ATT as I had planned, but the phones this year aren't inspiring enough unfortunately.

Leslie Hatcher

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
So, I went on Amazon and decided to buy a Pixel 2 XL. Great deal! Gonna try it on Xfinity and if it doesnt work, I will either switch to Fi or return the phone and suffer through XM restrictions on bring your own Androids.

Leslie Hatcher

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Pixel 2 XL. Should be here tomorrow. I saw in some other forums that some people who used XM SIMs in non-XM phones lost VoLTE. Any experience with this? Man, I hope this works!

Caezar07

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
Honestly I recommend against Google Fi. I had Google Fi on a Nexus 6p for a year. Google Fi operates under Spring and T-Mobile, and they don't have great coverage unless you live in the city and are outside. Even if you live in an ubran area (I do and I can attest to this), your coverage will only be good when you are outside, and coverage is not good in large buildings or underground in the subway.

I always recommend StraightTalk as a carrier. StraightTalk operates under AT&T. You can get 10gb for just $45/month plus taxes, or $55/month for unlimited data. With AT&T, I get good coverage even in large buildings and in the subway. AT&T isn't as good as Verizon if you live far out in a rural area, but it is certainly better than T-Mobile or Sprint for rural areas.

You can get a StraightTalk BYOP "Bring Your Own Phone" sim card kit from any Wal-Mart. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions. I've experimented with a lot of carriers and I always end up falling back on StraightTalk. It's simply the best value package you can get given the coverage.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie