Fair price?

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
About a week ago I ordered two black Pixel 3 XL 128's for my daughter and I. She has since decided that she doesn't want one and rather than cancel the order I have decided to sell one of them. It is set to be delivered to my place Thursday. This will be unopened/Brand new, whats a fair price?

Buyer will pay shipping (15.00) for a Medium Flat rate USPS box (Lower 48 states only), this includes 50.00 of insurance, if the buyer requests extra insurance they are responsible for that. paypal only, or local pick up (cash).

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Why go through the trouble? Just return it unopened.

Agreed. I don't know how warranty would work for someone else buying the device,and you'll take a hit on the price,since at this point they're not seriously backordered or hard to get. If you charge anything close to full price AND charge for shipping, they could go and get one direct from Google or Verizon with free shipping. It just doesn't seem worth it. And if the box isn't opened, I don't think they can charge you a restocking fee.

blkppr

Oct 11, 2018
Visit site
If you can return it for full refund, that's probably better. Because people most likely won't pay full price to buy it from you.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I doubt you can make anything. Not like people are having trouble getting them on time this year. Most of us are even getting them a little earlier than the first promised date. If you order one now, the delivery date is next week. I wouldn't be surprised people can just walk into a best buy or Verizon store to get one on the same day. I would just return it if I were you. FYI I see Google starting to charge a $35 restocking fee. You should call and see if that's still applies if it's unopened. Good luck.

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
My guess is he did something like the Google Fi deal. Add a new person and get $799 off. So he can make some money by not returning the phone.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I doubt you can make anything. Not like people are having trouble getting them on time this year. Most of us are even getting them a little earlier than the first promised date. If you order one now, the delivery date is next week. I wouldn't be surprised people can just walk into a best buy or Verizon store to get one on the same day. I would just return it if I were you. FYI I see Google starting to charge a $35 restocking fee. You should call and see if that's still applies if it's unopened. Good luck.

You underestimate the impact paying no taxes can have (for those that live in places where there is sales tax).

If someone tried to sell me a sealed 3XL at face value, I'd do it. I'd avoid paying the $30 upgrade fee and the $110 in taxes and that stupid $30 notch fee that Verizon is charging.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
You underestimate the impact paying no taxes can have (for those that live in places where there is sales tax).

If someone tried to sell me a sealed 3XL at face value, I'd do it. I'd avoid paying the $30 upgrade fee and the $110 in taxes and that stupid $30 notch fee that Verizon is charging.

$110 in sales tax? I'm lucky my state only charges 6%. Well Verizon also gives you extra perks like free pixel stands and some other credit? OP is trying to make money so I doubt he's selling it at face value without tax.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

Well if the seller paid sales tax then they'd need to pass that along as well to break even....

I can't see the logic of trying to sell it when it can be returned, unopened for a full refund..

On top of that why deal with trying to sell it? Lowballers, the chance of getting fake money ect. If sold online you run the risk of a charge back....

PayPal gives buyers 6 months to file a claim and they almost always side with the buyer..

I dunno, make no sense to me whatsoever....

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Well if the seller paid sales tax then they'd need to pass that along as well to break even....

I can't see the logic of trying to sell it when it can be returned, unopened for a full refund..

On top of that why deal with trying to sell it? Lowballers, the chance of getting fake money ect. If sold online you run the risk of a charge back....

PayPal gives buyers 6 months to file a claim and they almost always side with the buyer..

Yup, agreed. I remember I accidentally bought 2 nexus 4 when it first came out. Actually sold 1 of them and made like $200. With the Pixel 3 being readily available to purchase you will be lucky if you can get your money back.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Yup, agreed. I remember I accidentally bought 2 nexus 4 when it first came out. Actually sold 1 of them and made like $200. With the Pixel 3 being readily available to purchase you will be lucky if you can get your money back.

Agree.... Lets say you had pink and that color was back ordered for months then maybe you'd be able to extract a profit..

The problem with selling a phone that's easily obtainable is:

1. Assume seller paid $860 after tax for the phone
2. eBay charges 10% seller fee and PayPal 3%
3. swappa will charge less than 10% but still a fee and still the PayPal 3%

In order to make money or even break even on a phone that's easily available that the seller paid $860 for, it would need to have at least 13% tacked on. So the phone would need to sell for about $970...

Not real sure who is going to pay $970 for a phone they can order themselves for over $100 less....

As far as local sales goes, the phone would need to sell for exactly what was paid for it to break even. You still run the risk of bogus money and have the hassle of lowballers and wasted time responding to the ad for the tire kickers..

Easy solution is refuse shipment or return without opening it for a full refund..

Wait 30 days and the market will be flooded with the free Fi phones people are getting once they meet the Fi requirement for the credit and sell the 2nd one...

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site

Because as people have already mentioned, he probably did buy one get one free. So if he returns it, what's going to get refunded?

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
She's decided that she wants my original Pixel XL.

Isn't the 3XL pretty much the see size as the original Pixel XL? So she would get nearly the same thing but wouldn't get the benefits of 2 years of advancement. I could undt if you got her a regular Pixel 3 but she wanted the larger model, but I don't see any reason to want the older phone, other than having the headphone jack. But if she's worried about headphones, reviews are saying the included Pixel Buds are excellent and well balanced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995