10-23-2018 12:11 AM
93 1234
tools
    For what it's worth, there are a couple of apps that will allow the nav bar to be hidden and the use of OnePlus gestures. I am using them and they work really well. I can't stand the Google gestures or the way the pill intrudes on screen space in many apps.
    10-19-2018 01:11 PM
    I just turned off gesture navigation on my pixel xl and boy are the standard 3 buttons better. i hope google rethinks their gestures or at least makes them useful, they currently are useless as the pill takes up just as much room as the nav buttons.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    10-19-2018 01:19 PM
    What I don't like about this is the lack of choice. Isn't Android all about choice and not being forced to conform when it comes to software? They should have given us a choice of nav bar or gestures.

I guess I will have to use a custom launcher if I don't like it.
    kct1975 and J Dubbs like this.
    10-19-2018 01:25 PM
    What I don't like about this is the lack of choice. Isn't Android all about choice and not being forced to conform when it comes to software? They should have given us a choice of nav bar or gestures.

A custom launcher, by itself, will not change the gestures.
    10-19-2018 01:30 PM

Technically, it's an Android phone. But that's not what it is being marketed or pushed as. This is a Google Pixel phone, which means you get what Google wants to give.
    DMP89145 and kct1975 like this.
    10-19-2018 01:46 PM
    Technically, it's an Android phone. But that's not what it is being marketed or pushed as. This is a Google Pixel phone, which means you get what Google wants to give.
    Sounds like Apple. The 3 and 3XL are still much more customizable than anything Apple sells, though.
    areyes163 and chezm like this.
    10-19-2018 02:00 PM
    I don't mind the gestures. Works fine for me and how I use the phone. I find them easier.
    Sounds like Apple. The 3 and 3XL are still much more customizable than anything Apple sells, though.
    10-19-2018 05:03 PM
    That's it exactly. It is their experience they are wanting to manifest, not just a housing for Android Pie. Plus I think this definitely signals that 3 buttons is gone forever for Pixel phones.
    osubeavs728, areyes163 and kct1975 like this.
    10-19-2018 05:16 PM
    Most likely yes. Those are gone perminently. Gestures don't bother me. They are actually fast for me to use than buttons and more convenient. Not everyone will agree but they work fine in my case.
    That's it exactly. It is their experience they are wanting to manifest, not just a housing for Android Pie. Plus I think this definitely signals that 3 buttons is gone forever for Pixel phones.
    DMP89145 and Blaize19 like this.
    10-19-2018 05:27 PM

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...s-google-pixel

Found this in my news feed
    10-20-2018 12:12 PM
    ..and first comment belongs to...?

Vlad's bugging a lil.. NOT A LOT.. just a lil.
    mustang7757 and wwickedd like this.
    10-20-2018 12:27 PM
    ..and first comment belongs to...?

Vlad's bugging a lil.. NOT A LOT.. just a lil.
    This stuff is crazy how now more and more people talking about pix 3
    I mean I'm not a fan of how Google did the navigation but still
    DMP89145 likes this.
    10-20-2018 12:29 PM
    This stuff is crazy how now more and more people talking about pix 3
    I mean I'm not a fan of how Google did the navigation but still
    It's so wild.. Like the sensationalist writing is on overload. Vlad's piece is really reagrding Android Pie, which he already covered when it was released. However, with the Pixel 3 out, he revisits the OS again with a rant.
    10-20-2018 12:35 PM
    I still don't have a issue with the navigation. It works great in my use case. Since I hold the device in my left hand it is finally much easier to switch apps. Even on my other devices I always switch the back button to the left side as it's easier for me. So now being able to swipe for multi task it works great.

I remember the forums for the iPhone X so many people were all up in arms over the gestures. Now it's mostly crickets. People get used to it. May not like it still but people get used to it.
    DMP89145, mustang7757 and wwickedd like this.
    10-20-2018 12:40 PM
    So, slap on a launcher - you still get the benefit of the superb camera and a VERY smooth experience, as long as you use a good launcher.

I use Nova, but it's not the only game in town.
    mustang7757 and Itsa_Me_Mario like this.
    10-20-2018 08:19 PM
    So, slap on a launcher - you still get the benefit of the superb camera and a VERY smooth experience, as long as you use a good launcher.

I use to use Nova , haven't in past 2 years always have it ready but prefer stock launcher in my phones
    10-20-2018 08:58 PM
    So they figured out how to disable gesture.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/1...ixel-launcher/
    10-21-2018 05:18 AM

From my understanding, a launcher won't change the system navigation setup? It'll remain with the new pill setup?

I'm seriously doubting purchasing the Pixel 3 now. I thought the gesture system was terrible back when I was on the Android Pie beta. It is objectively slower and more cumbersome to use than the previous three icon setup, but I thought they'd still have the option to go back to previous setup in the settings somewhere, but that's not the case.
    10-21-2018 08:15 AM
    From my understanding, a launcher won't change the system navigation setup? It'll remain with the new pill setup?

I'm seriously doubting purchasing the Pixel 3 now. I thought the gesture system was terrible back when I was on the Android Pie beta. It is objectively slower and more cumbersome to use than the previous three icon setup, but I thought they'd still have the option to go back to previous setup in the settings somewhere, but that's not the case.
    *subjectively slower and more cumbersome ...

I get not everybody likes it, and that is fine. I personally find it faster in my use, and I actually use app switcher more frequently now that I have the gestures there.
    Blaize19 likes this.
    10-21-2018 08:48 AM
    I actually have no issues with the gestures but really love Nova swipe down for notifications and the finger print swipe option doesn't do it for me in the stock Pixel Launcher.
    10-21-2018 09:12 AM
    AMLike
    Isn't theverge regarded as pro iPhone?
    10-21-2018 09:20 AM
    *subjectively slower and more cumbersome ...

I get not everybody likes it, and that is fine. I personally find it faster in my use, and I actually use app switcher more frequently now that I have the gestures there.
    No, it's objectively slower and more cumbersome.

Examples:

OLD: A small flick up on the homescreen (swiping up <10% of the screen) will pull up the app drawer.
    NEW: A large swipe up on the homescreen (swiping up >50% of the screen) will pull up the app drawer.
    CUMBERSOME: Requires a MUCH higher swipe and if you didn't swipe high enough, then it will pull up the task switcher and you have to do another swipe up to get to the app drawer.

OLD: While in an app, tapping the home button then a small flick up on the homescreen (swiping up <10% of the screen) up will pull up the app drawer.
    NEW: While in an app, the launcher requires an even larger swipe (swiping up ~80% of the screen) to go to the homescreen.
    CUMBERSOME: If you don't swipe high enough (now an ~80% screen swipe!), you again will only open the task switcher and have to do another swipe. While you can do two flicks in quick succession, you have to move your thumb back down after the first flick to do a second one. The old system had you tapping the home button, then your thumb was already in position for a small flick to bring up the app drawer.

OLD: Tapping the square button would bring up the task switcher.
    NEW: Swiping up will bring up the task switcher.
    CUMBERSOME: It's faster to tap the square button than to swipe up. My thumb is on the screen less time with a tap than it is for a swipe to achieve the same outcome.

OLD: Double tapping the square button would immediately pull up the previous application.
    NEW: Swiping to the right will pull up the previous application.
    CUMBERSOME: The new method is slower as it slides to the previous app, the animation pauses, then brings it to the foreground. The old method would avoid this with your second tap, which is essentially confirming you want to go right back to the previous app and it'd do it right away. New method is slower as it does a slide, pause then brings the app to foreground.

So the new gesture system is definitely objectively slower and more cumbersome in the new Android Pie navigation than the Oreo navigation.

And there are other, subjective things that I dislike:

- Moves to a half-gesture system, yet makes no space savings whatsoever. The pill takes up the same space the previous setup did.

- Now the UI is lopsided with the pill and back button and the right being completely empty.

- Swiping on the pill to scroll through applications feels weird and unintuitive. Swiping the pill to the right scrolls through the apps in a slowish pace and if you want to speed it up you have to do this weird right, left, right swipe to have the apps swipe with the movement of your thumb.

The whole system feels confusing and unintutitive. I was holding hope that Google would still allow the old navigation to be toggled, but they're going all in on this new system which isn't nearly as good as Apple's gesture navigation without giving us an option to use a different method.
    Robisan, Ben_70, J Dubbs and 1 others like this.
    10-21-2018 09:47 AM
    yeah, if only gesture works as good as the button should, mainly just move around faster at times.
    10-21-2018 10:01 AM
    No, it's objectively slower and more cumbersome.
    Your examples are not even close to objective. For instance:

OLD: Tapping the square button would bring up the task switcher.
    NEW: Swiping up will bring up the task switcher.
    CUMBERSOME: It's faster to tap the square button than to swipe up. My thumb is on the screen less time with a tap than it is for a swipe to achieve the same outcome.
    The old multi task button was static on screen, botton right. Thus to take action, your thumb has to tap, bottom right. With the gestures system, the same is accomplished with a single flick up from anywhere in the lower region of the phone. left, center, right, search bar, app row... That's not objectively slower or more cumbersome. If anything, quite the opposite.
    10-21-2018 10:44 AM
    Isn't theverge regarded as pro iPhone?
    IMO, I would say moderate. I would say most writers are in the middle, but some definitely find Apple more favorably and Google in a more "disgruntled" light.
    10-21-2018 10:47 AM
93 1234