10-23-2018 12:11 AM
93 ... 234
tools
    From my understanding, a launcher won't change the system navigation setup? It'll remain with the new pill setup?
    I actually left most of the gesture stuff in place. What I did do was to have the app drawer be a separate swipe, so I don't have to think about exactly how long to swipe. It works well. And the phone (Pixel 2) is otherwise completely responsive.
    10-21-2018 06:57 PM
    I don't think it's so much for changing to gestures I prefer it over buttons but how they did it . It makes no sense to me to do double swipe waste of time where I want to go. They trying something that's most of a manufacturers didn't do with their gestures. why? Are all these other phone manufacturers wrong ? I rarely go into the recent apps menu , but I do go to my app drawer to see my apps I haven't put on my home screen. Why couldn't 2 swipes bring the recent app and one quick to app drawer. Just it could've been done different. I love changes when it's done right .
    I can get to the app drawer in one swipe.
    hub1 likes this.
    10-21-2018 06:57 PM
    I can get to the app drawer in one swipe.
    I love to hear this 😁
    10-21-2018 07:00 PM
    Swiping up to get to the multitasker is slower and requires your thumb to be on the screen longer than tapping the square in the old system. So it is slower.

In addition all the other points I mentioned, it's slower to navigate and do what you want to do. It doesn't do anything faster or more efficiently than the old system.

It's a polarising system that needs a lot of work. I do think that gestures are the way of the future and think tapping buttons is on the way out and am firm with that. It just needs to be implemented much better. Apple did really well with the iPhone X gestures, as have OnePlus and other manufacturers. Google should have held off on completely removing the old system and making this the default until they have a full solution imo.

I see. I don't use Nova, just the Pixel launcher, so not sure how it worked.
    I don't see a speed difference....if anything the old method required you to look before you tap. Swiping does not require hitting a precise. Not trying to change your mind. I just think it's a personal preference. I'm sure Google will improve on the gestures at done point.
    10-21-2018 07:01 PM
    Not entirely true. Nova on my Phone the swipe up still brings up previously opened apps. The second swipe up doesn't do anything now. To get to the app drawer I have to tape on the 6 little dots.
    You can do that, or you can set it up to swipe from above the pill.

The way I have it set up is the pill on bottom, the app dock next, then the google search bar. Above that is a little arrowhead, and I swipe on that to get the app drawer. I like that better than the button in the dock, because I can put an app in the place of the button.
    10-21-2018 07:01 PM
    I can see why. But, for anyone for whom the navigation is a non-starter obviously doesn't feel quite the same way about it.
    Imagine using different OS daily and learning where the power buttons and gestures and volume buttons from iPhones to Samsung's , pixels and 1+6 pretty much got them down pat don't need to add launcher to the mix lol
    10-21-2018 07:04 PM
    I love to hear this 😁
    You really don't know how?

Several ways:
    Swipe up till you begin see carosel and give a quick flick. Alternatively take a long swipe....just slightly more than half and let go.
    10-21-2018 07:06 PM
    You really don't know how?

Several ways:
    Swipe up till you begin see carosel and give a quick flick. Alternatively take a long swipe....just slightly more than half and let go.
    I know those methods, just not fan of it
    10-21-2018 07:11 PM
    Mike you Kno from the pixel 2 beta's I didn't like how Google went about the gestures , I use it but don't mean I like it .
    now I Kno Google probably fix it so I can wait it out
    10-21-2018 07:21 PM
    I don't find that useful at all. For me, it doesn't seem to predict the apps I need to use. I go to work every day and use Microsoft Outlook and OneNote every day, but guaranteed in the morning when I get to work, neither of the two apps are suggested. They'll only appear once I have opened them, then they'll start to be suggested.

In addition to that, the placement of the apps seems completely random. Of the 5 app icons, the apps can be in any order with (from what I can tell) no logic behind why they're played that way. So even if it did predict that I need Microsoft Outlook, it'll be in one of five locations that I'd have to scan my eyes over to look for. And if it didn't suggest it, I still have to scan my eyes in the hopes that they did predict it. If could choose the 5 icons I want and set it, at least I'd know that I have 5 icons that will always be there and I'd always know the placement so my muscle memory would train over time. But right now the apps and order of them just seem random to me. Or at least, it's likely to suggest apps you've used recently, rather than being intelligent and figuring out it's Monday morning at 10am, your location is your workplace that you've told Google, so based on those metrics, it's highly likely that you will need the Outlook app.

I think it's something that could be really useful of it got much, much smarter about what it suggests, or just let us assign the applications to appear. Maybe allow assigning apps based location and time.
    It doesn't predict what apps you're going to use. It just shows previously used apps . If Google could create a phone that knew what I wanted before I did, that would truly be amazing .
    10-21-2018 08:08 PM
    It doesn't predict what apps you're going to use. It just shows previously used apps . If Google could create a phone that knew what I wanted before I did, that would truly be amazing .
    But it does predict what apps you are going to use, and in my use it is very accurate. My best example is that I think it recognizes WiFi or location in Starbucks and in WaWa (a convenience store), because invariably when I am there, my app for those 2 stores is in the suggested apps section. It also know when I am going to work out and offers me Google music.

I know there are more, but can't recall them off hand. The ones I mention I use daily.
    10-21-2018 10:03 PM
    I actually left most of the gesture stuff in place. What I did do was to have the app drawer be a separate swipe, so I don't have to think about exactly how long to swipe. It works well. And the phone (Pixel 2) is otherwise completely responsive.
    That's exactly what I did on my Nova Prime. It works so much better than the Google Launcher "double swipe".
    10-21-2018 10:09 PM
    But it does predict what apps you are going to use, and in my use it is very accurate. My best example is that I think it recognizes WiFi or location in Starbucks and in WaWa (a convenience store), because invariably when I am there, my app for those 2 stores is in the suggested apps section. It also know when I am going to work out and offers me Google music.

I know there are more, but can't recall them off hand. The ones I mention I use daily.
    How do you get it to predict the apps you're going to use? I've been using Pie since the beta and I don't think it's accurately pulled up 5 apps that I would actually want to at that moment in time. At best it might get one or two apps correct randomly. Then I swipe down and up again and it's an entirely new set of apps.

And if the system is guessing the apps correctly for you, are the apps just placed anywhere or are they always appearing in a certain order? Because that's one of my biggest issues and why I gave up on bothering to look at that row of apps - the same app never seems to be in the same spot twice.

Also speaking of randomness, those two apps in the app drawer that are supposed to be some sort of particular actions - they too never ever show up anything useful for me.
    10-22-2018 03:17 AM
    How do you get it to predict the apps you're going to use? I've been using Pie since the beta and I don't think it's accurately pulled up 5 apps that I would actually want to at that moment in time. At best it might get one or two apps correct randomly. Then I swipe down and up again and it's an entirely new set of apps.

And if the system is guessing the apps correctly for you, are the apps just placed anywhere or are they always appearing in a certain order? Because that's one of my biggest issues and why I gave up on bothering to look at that row of apps - the same app never seems to be in the same spot twice.

Also speaking of randomness, those two apps in the app drawer that are supposed to be some sort of particular actions - they too never ever show up anything useful for me.
    They're picking based on situations, such as if you almost always open two apps in a certain order, or three apps at a certain time of day or an app in a certain location, etc.
    10-22-2018 05:24 AM

Well, as you know, we’ve had the predicted/suggested apps row since Marshmallow. They just made that row more accessible in Pie. From what I’ve read, the predictive algorithm considers app usage, apps that are normally launched together, and what time of day it is. So it changes throughout the day, for sure. I’m pretty much a creature of habit and routine, so they function really well for me.

I’ll agree with you though on the “app actions”. Those two action areas are rarely right for me, plus they’re too buried for me to even want to engage with that feature more. Once I’ve decided to go all the way into the app drawer, I’ve already mentally committed to doing something else and overlook the “actions” as a functional choice.
    Itsa_Me_Mario and SteelGator like this.
    10-22-2018 05:44 AM

So other than being a predictable person that has a fairly set routine in the mornings, I have not done anything special. I have not paid attention to which 5 apps are shown as much as I have seen that the ones I need are there -- so the order is not relevant to me.

Switching phones has disturbed the accuracy (I set up as new), so it will be interesting to see how long it takes to settle back to where it was. That said, Pocket Caster was offered up to me this morning along with maps, both of which were why I picked up the phone to start my commute. I didn't need maps there b/c I launch it from the home screen, but Pocket Caster was handy.

What's more, is these apps are available when my other apps are running, so with 1 swipe and a tap I pay for my coffee, and then a swipe right and my maps are back up. Very efficient.

I have not yet be able to make use of the quick actions, as DMP89145 said, by the time I get that far into the drawer, I am not looking at those.
    Itsa_Me_Mario and DMP89145 like this.
    10-22-2018 10:03 AM
    No, it's objectively slower and more cumbersome.

Examples:

OLD: A small flick up on the homescreen (swiping up <10% of the screen) will pull up the app drawer.
    NEW: A large swipe up on the homescreen (swiping up >50% of the screen) will pull up the app drawer.
    CUMBERSOME: Requires a MUCH higher swipe and if you didn't swipe high enough, then it will pull up the task switcher and you have to do another swipe up to get to the app drawer.

OLD: While in an app, tapping the home button then a small flick up on the homescreen (swiping up <10% of the screen) up will pull up the app drawer.
    NEW: While in an app, the launcher requires an even larger swipe (swiping up ~80% of the screen) to go to the homescreen.
    CUMBERSOME: If you don't swipe high enough (now an ~80% screen swipe!), you again will only open the task switcher and have to do another swipe. While you can do two flicks in quick succession, you have to move your thumb back down after the first flick to do a second one. The old system had you tapping the home button, then your thumb was already in position for a small flick to bring up the app drawer.

OLD: Tapping the square button would bring up the task switcher.
    NEW: Swiping up will bring up the task switcher.
    CUMBERSOME: It's faster to tap the square button than to swipe up. My thumb is on the screen less time with a tap than it is for a swipe to achieve the same outcome.

OLD: Double tapping the square button would immediately pull up the previous application.
    NEW: Swiping to the right will pull up the previous application.
    CUMBERSOME: The new method is slower as it slides to the previous app, the animation pauses, then brings it to the foreground. The old method would avoid this with your second tap, which is essentially confirming you want to go right back to the previous app and it'd do it right away. New method is slower as it does a slide, pause then brings the app to foreground.

So the new gesture system is definitely objectively slower and more cumbersome in the new Android Pie navigation than the Oreo navigation.

And there are other, subjective things that I dislike:

- Moves to a half-gesture system, yet makes no space savings whatsoever. The pill takes up the same space the previous setup did.

- Now the UI is lopsided with the pill and back button and the right being completely empty.

- Swiping on the pill to scroll through applications feels weird and unintuitive. Swiping the pill to the right scrolls through the apps in a slowish pace and if you want to speed it up you have to do this weird right, left, right swipe to have the apps swipe with the movement of your thumb.

The whole system feels confusing and unintutitive. I was holding hope that Google would still allow the old navigation to be toggled, but they're going all in on this new system which isn't nearly as good as Apple's gesture navigation without giving us an option to use a different method.
    THIS !!!

Switching between apps has to be done very precisely or you end up on the wrong app. What was wrong with the old way ?
    Nothing that's what.

Now we are doing changes for the sake of change. And it's crap.
    10-22-2018 07:49 PM
    I'm still trying to get used to the whole thing. Been using the old back/recent buttons for years so it's gonna take a while.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    10-23-2018 12:11 AM
93 ... 234