Forced gesture navigation

MrHades17

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't mind it at all. I feel like this is just a transition period for the gestures. I'm certain that they will improve as time goes on. But I can see why people might get turned off by them.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Is there a way to turn off assistant when long pressing the gesture button? I just want to use the active edge.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I'm already used to them considering I used an iPhone X and iPhone XS Max. The gestures on the Pixel 3 XL aren't nearly as fluid as they are on the iPhones.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Alright, so I'm trying it again and with Nova launcher I think I can make it work. Going to try it for a few days and see. It's not as bad as I remember and I think I like it better on Nova for sure as I can setup the app drawer different. That second swipe for the app drawer is what bugs me the most and it doesn't work in Nova which is fine.

The reason I decided to try it again is because I've been looking at other phones the last couple of days and went and played with a few. One I really like but I'm just worried the camera won't measure up to this one on my Pixel 2. However I love the rest of the V40, way more phone in a lot of ways.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
For what it's worth, there are a couple of apps that will allow the nav bar to be hidden and the use of OnePlus gestures. I am using them and they work really well. I can't stand the Google gestures or the way the pill intrudes on screen space in many apps.

movielover76

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I just turned off gesture navigation on my pixel xl and boy are the standard 3 buttons better. i hope google rethinks their gestures or at least makes them useful, they currently are useless as the pill takes up just as much room as the nav buttons.

TheAlmightyDrew

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
What I don't like about this is the lack of choice. Isn't Android all about choice and not being forced to conform when it comes to software? They should have given us a choice of nav bar or gestures.

I guess I will have to use a custom launcher if I don't like it.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
What I don't like about this is the lack of choice. Isn't Android all about choice and not being forced to conform when it comes to software? They should have given us a choice of nav bar or gestures.

A custom launcher, by itself, will not change the gestures.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site

Technically, it's an Android phone. But that's not what it is being marketed or pushed as. This is a Google Pixel phone, which means you get what Google wants to give.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Technically, it's an Android phone. But that's not what it is being marketed or pushed as. This is a Google Pixel phone, which means you get what Google wants to give.

Sounds like Apple. The 3 and 3XL are still much more customizable than anything Apple sells, though.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site

That's it exactly. It is their experience they are wanting to manifest, not just a housing for Android Pie. Plus I think this definitely signals that 3 buttons is gone forever for Pixel phones.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Most likely yes. Those are gone perminently. Gestures don't bother me. They are actually fast for me to use than buttons and more convenient. Not everyone will agree but they work fine in my case.
That's it exactly. It is their experience they are wanting to manifest, not just a housing for Android Pie. Plus I think this definitely signals that 3 buttons is gone forever for Pixel phones.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
This stuff is crazy how now more and more people talking about pix 3
I mean I'm not a fan of how Google did the navigation but still

It's so wild.. Like the sensationalist writing is on overload. Vlad's piece is really reagrding Android Pie, which he already covered when it was released. However, with the Pixel 3 out, he revisits the OS again with a rant.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I still don't have a issue with the navigation. It works great in my use case. Since I hold the device in my left hand it is finally much easier to switch apps. Even on my other devices I always switch the back button to the left side as it's easier for me. So now being able to swipe for multi task it works great.

I remember the forums for the iPhone X so many people were all up in arms over the gestures. Now it's mostly crickets. People get used to it. May not like it still but people get used to it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma