Speaker distortion.

marcocb8

Apr 30, 2018
Visit site
I just noticed on my Pixel 3XL that if you play sound or videos on low volume that the bottom speaker sounds distorted. I noticed it mostly playing YouTube video's.
The top speaker is fine and also on higher volume the lower speaker sounds fine.
I wonder if I just got a bad phone or not. Can someone please check and play a YouTube video on low volume and put the phone kinda close to your ear and see if it sounds clear or not.

Thanks.

marcocb8

Apr 30, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the link, yes, that is exactly the issue I am having, the buzzing sound.
I guess I will just wait a few weeks and then get an RMA, let's see if any other issues pop up.

marcocb8

Apr 30, 2018
Visit site
I can hear it also when using the speaker phone.
So yeah it seems like a common issue on Reddit.
Not sure if an RMA will help at this point. I guess I will see if any people on here have a phone that does not have the issue first.

marcocb8

Apr 30, 2018
Visit site
I bought my 2XL beginning of this year, I had no issues with it, even the screen is great on it. Maybe it is better to wait a while until the bugs are worked out.

I do like a few things better in this phone then the 2XL.
I like the haptic feedback, it is so much better then any other phone I tried before.
I had issues before with music skipping in my car while using Bluetooth, not this the 3XL, Bluetooth has been good so far.
The screen is not as saturated as the screen on the 2XL but it is very nice to look at. No weird tint to it at all.
The speakers are very loud compared to the 2XL, just to bad about that buzzing sound.

These are just my thoughts after the first day. It's not all bad.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Lol the more I read on this forum the more reasons I have to hold off buying...

Yeah, but the harsh reality is that if we took that approach every time we hear about an issue we wouldn't buy most phones or even other products. Not trying to minimize it, just trying to keep a realistic perspective on things. Waiting for my 3XL and I hope I enjoy it as much as my 2XL which has been great for the past year.

marcocb8

Apr 30, 2018
Visit site
So I just stopped by a Verizon store and I tested the speakers on both 3XL's they had, both of them have the exact same distortion as mine has.
The best video on YouTube to test this with is this one
https://youtu.be/gzERR48mz6o
The regular Pixel 3 they had did not have any issues.
It seems like it could be a software issue since it is only noticable on low to mid volume.
I guess I won't try to RMA for now, for the rest the phone is perfect.

TemporalBeef

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
So I just stopped by a Verizon store and I tested the speakers on both 3XL's they had, both of them have the exact same distortion as mine has.
The best video on YouTube to test this with is this one
https://youtu.be/gzERR48mz6o
The regular Pixel 3 they had did not have any issues.
It seems like it could be a software issue since it is only noticable on low to mid volume.
I guess I won't try to RMA for now, for the rest the phone is perfect.

I have the same thing. Hopefully it's addressed soon.

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I probably have bad ears. I didn't discern any distortion. Or maybe I can't recognize a distortion. I don't think average Pixel 3 XL owners will notice it.

chuckado

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I assume you guys also have a bit of vibration on the back glass when playing music off of the speakers? From what I have read it is because of the water proofing not allowing the air in the phone to leave so it vibrates the frame of the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith