I wanna buy the Pixel 3XL but I am concerned that it will not last for more than a year with 4 gigs of RAM. Please help me make a purchase decision
    10-18-2018 08:22 AM
    I'm sure it will be fine. Surprised they didn't go bigger just to equal most of the competition. My s9 has 4 GB ram and it flies. Plays PUBG mobile at highest possible setting with no issues etc. Can't imagine 4GB will be much different a year from now in usability.
    10-18-2018 08:27 AM
    I wanna buy the Pixel 3XL but I am concerned that it will not last for more than a year with 4 gigs of RAM. Please help me make a purchase decision
    You should be fine unless something monumental gets introduced to Android.
    10-18-2018 08:32 AM
    My Pixel XL OG is still going strong, and not doubt would make it a third year. I say that to illustrate that based on what we know today, there is good reason to believe that the Pixel 3XL will last for 3 years -- particularly if you are not looking to use if for gaming. Gaming is the one spot where I think we could see the need for additional RAM.
    10-18-2018 09:17 AM
    Google (like Apple) isn't in a position where it has the same need to implement more RAM that other OEM's are finding themselves experiencing, because Google's hardware and software are bespoke designed for one another. The Pixels don't suffer from many of the inefficiencies, nor are they saddled with skinned OS's or additional bloat. Phones currently running greater amounts are doing so to mitigate against the impact of their less optimized synergy, and/or to generate perception of greater value of their phone ("my amp goes to 11!").

All of that stated, there is a benefit to having more RAM than you need. If you tend to keep a lot of browser tabs open and leave other apps, games, etc running, switching back and forth, on a phone with more RAM you will less frequently find the app reloading (I rarely see this unless I'm going back and forth between more than 2 RAM-intensive games).

Short of it is, this should not be a concern.

Gaming is the one spot where I think we could see the need for additional RAM.
    My Pixel 2 XL has handled any game I've thrown at it with ease, so shouldn't be an issue there for the 3 XL
    10-18-2018 10:16 AM
    Yes
    10-18-2018 11:05 AM
    Definitely yes...
    10-18-2018 11:29 AM
    I forgot to mention that your battery life may be partially or severely diminished depending on your usage and charging habits
    10-18-2018 12:00 PM
    I forgot to mention that your battery life may be partially or severely diminished depending on your usage and charging habits
    Speaking of which, what are the best charging habits? I was considering getting the charging stand for my bed side and using the phone as an alarm clock. Is it not good for the battery to leave it on the charger all night? Or is it ok to do that?
    10-18-2018 12:18 PM
    Speaking of which, what are the best charging habits? I was considering getting the charging stand for my bed side and using the phone as an alarm clock. Is it not good for the battery to leave it on the charger all night? Or is it ok to do that?
    That opens up a whole debate and some follow strict rules about how low and high to charge. My main rule which works for me is to try not to let it get too low but extremely avoid going to zero. I try not to let it get below 40 or 30. I don't worry about the high end so much. Some will insist keeping always between 40 and 80 but that's too much work for my life style. Keeping it on a charger will keep it at a 100 percent and it's sort of bad but that depends on.the intelligence of the phone and the charger. I had a wireless charger that would take it to 100 but shut down and not reactivate until it dropped down a bit. You had to take it off and on to reset it unless it was below the threshold.
    10-18-2018 12:29 PM
    I'm one of those "40 to 80" folks. I've got a charger at work, in my car, and at home. Also have a portable charger. You get used to frequent charging after a while! And, after a year of use, my 2XL is still showing 94% capacity on AccuBattery. Helps a bunch to show a screenshot of that when reselling it.
    10-18-2018 12:38 PM
    Thats my plan to keep my Pixel 3XL at least 3 years considering the investment (money) I spent.
    10-18-2018 03:37 PM
    Maybe! If you mean will the phone work in three years, yes most likely. My 5X and 6P are still going. Two years of good performance is reasonable. Three years if you're not too picky. Regarding longevity vis-a-vis price, you pay for what you get now, not how well the technology will function three years later.
    10-18-2018 06:01 PM
    The phone won't be flagship status in 3 years, but it will compete well with the mid range devices of tomorrow. They will all run Android smoothly.
    10-18-2018 07:59 PM
    That opens up a whole debate and some follow strict rules about how low and high to charge. My main rule which works for me is to try not to let it get too low but extremely avoid going to zero. I try not to let it get below 40 or 30. I don't worry about the high end so much. Some will insist keeping always between 40 and 80 but that's too much work for my life style. Keeping it on a charger will keep it at a 100 percent and it's sort of bad but that depends on.the intelligence of the phone and the charger. I had a wireless charger that would take it to 100 but shut down and not reactivate until it dropped down a bit. You had to take it off and on to reset it unless it was below the threshold.
    That's similar to me. I don't do the 40 to 80 thing but I don't let my phone get below 40% usually. I charge it to 100% before bed then unplug it. The next day I top up the few % it lost overnight while I'm getting ready for work. Realistically I don't need to top it off in the morning but psychologically I prefer to leave the house with a 100%.
    10-18-2018 08:33 PM
    I have a first gen Pixel, and while I never let the phone get to 40%, and usually charged around 50, I would charge to full, and I am seeing some wear and tear on the battery. I am at 88% capacity according to Accubattery. I was going to get a new Pixel 2 or 3 no matter what this year, but I think my own charging habits would have me in need of a phone in 6 months.
    10-18-2018 08:39 PM
    all my phones I'll charge once it hits 5% then charge it until 95% never had any issues and very good battery life .
    10-18-2018 08:58 PM
    I suspect it will.
    10-19-2018 12:18 AM