10-19-2018 04:33 PM
111 1234 ...
tools
    It'll be good to get confirmation. Anyone want to confirm that the Verizon version is lacking Verizon bloatware?
    it can install IIRC 3 apps or so that you can uninstall. Nothing like a Samsung device or anything of that nature.
    YAYTech likes this.
    10-18-2018 05:11 PM
    it can install IIRC 3 apps or so that you can uninstall. Nothing like a Samsung device or anything of that nature.
    My biggest concern was thinking back to the days when updates would hang up due to carrier bloatware. I know that's kinda the whole point of the pixel is that it gets updates and such, but it'd still stink to get 3yr down the road to just past when they promised updates, and find that the unlocked versions were getting updates that the Verizon ones weren't. Since Verizon has started locking their carrier phones again (seemingly with the Pixel as the exception), I wasn't fully trusting they weren't pulling shenanigans again...
    10-18-2018 05:14 PM
    My biggest concern was thinking back to the days when updates would hang up due to carrier bloatware. I know that's kinda the whole point of the pixel is that it gets updates and such, but it'd still stink to get 3yr down the road to just past when they promised updates, and find that the unlocked versions were getting updates that the Verizon ones weren't. Since Verizon has started locking their carrier phones again (seemingly with the Pixel as the exception), I wasn't fully trusting they weren't pulling shenanigans again...
    Has anyone tried putting a Verizon sim in to activate it on Verizon network then trying a different sim 24 hours later to see if this works?
    10-18-2018 07:00 PM
    Yes, Verizon is going back to its old ways of chaining customers to its network and being the most customer unfriendly network in the US. They make a small point about protecting itself against fraud, but mostly to make you go through hoops to get it unlocked so you can move to another network or sell it.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    10-18-2018 07:36 PM
    Yes, Verizon is going back to its old ways of chaining customers to its network and being the most customer unfriendly network in the US. They make a small point about protecting itself against fraud, but mostly to make you go through hoops to get it unlocked so you can move to another network or sell it.
    To be fair when you buy other phones from other networks they lock them to it as well. It's not something Verizon decided to do that no one else has.

That said I still think it's wrong since the spectrum deal they did they agreed not to.. but let's not pretend other carrier don't lock devices .
    10-18-2018 07:43 PM
    To be fair when you buy other phones from other networks they lock them to it as well. It's not something Verizon decided to do that no one else has.

That said I still think it's wrong since the spectrum deal they got the agreed not to.. but let's not pretend other carrier don't lock devices .
    What pisses me off is that Google's phones have only ever been sold sim unlocked. WTF Google!!!
    10-18-2018 07:49 PM
    What pisses me off is that Google's phones have only ever been sold sim unlocked. WTF Google!!!
    Well they technically are. Google has a model and another is labeled a Verizon model. If anyone snags the Google one they will never run into this.
    10-18-2018 07:51 PM

That said I still think it's wrong since the spectrum deal they did they agreed not to.. but let's not pretend other carrier don't lock devices .
    I'm agree with you. But if I go buy a phone from att or T-Mobile outright like I did today with the pics 3 xl I can get it unlocked instantly. There's no reason for them to lock me out to protect against fraud. I paid outright for the damn thing
    10-18-2018 09:54 PM
    I'm agree with you. But if I go buy a phone from att or T-Mobile outright like I did today with the pics 3 xl I can get it unlocked instantly. There's no reason for them to lock me out to protect against fraud. I paid outright for the damn thing
    Actually not always. T-Mobile has some rules about phones needing to be on the network for X amount of days and such. Of course YMMV.

TBH Verizon doesn't know you bought it outright. You did it at Best buy so they have no real idea.
    bhatech likes this.
    10-18-2018 09:57 PM
    Agreed even though it sucks Verizon started doing this again, other carriers suck as well and their phones are sim locked whether you pay full or not. Sure you can unlock them but every carrier also have policies like TMobile official policy is to unlock after 30 or 40 days on network but generally contacting T-Force on Twitter they sim unlock in a day or two via the T-Mobile sim unlock app that's preloaded on T-Mobile branded phones. It's not like other carriers are any better.

And I don't get blaming Google, they are selling unlocked model right on at store.google.com and it's not like it's out of stock or anything. Sucks that Verizon started doing this but there are options.
    Actually not always. T-Mobile has some rules about phones needing to be on the network for X amount of days and such. Of course YMMV.

TBH Verizon doesn't know you bought it outright. You did it at Best buy so they have no real idea.
    Almeuit likes this.
    10-18-2018 10:13 PM
    With other brand phones on VZW if you buy unlocked version you cannot access Verizon features like advanced calling and maybe vzw voicemail (not sure but I know u lose some features). If you buy unlocked Pixel 3 could there be any VZW features you cannot access?
    10-18-2018 10:26 PM
    Let's not forget too, that Verizon probably paid a pretty penny for the exclusive. Why would they want to sell phones to people that are not their customers? Making it inconvenient to other carrier customers to buy Verizon phones makes sense to me. It allows them to make sure they have plenty of phones for customers on their network, and that they have more choices of ways to buy.

I get that it has not been this way recently, and their are spectrum issues blah blah blah, but damn people are entitled these days. And this is a case where there are easy options to buy without the issues.
    10-18-2018 10:36 PM
    With other brand phones on VZW if you buy unlocked version you cannot access Verizon features like advanced calling and maybe vzw voicemail (not sure but I know u lose some features). If you buy unlocked Pixel 3 could there be any VZW features you cannot access?
    Nope.
    10-18-2018 10:44 PM
    Nope.
    Is it because Pixel has no features?
    10-18-2018 10:49 PM
    Is it because Pixel has no features?
    What?
    10-18-2018 10:50 PM
    What?
    Does it have all VZW Advanced calling features, VZW visual voicemail etc?
    10-18-2018 10:51 PM
    Does it have all VZW Advanced calling features, VZW visual voicemail etc?
    Yes.. you said do you lose any of that and I said no you don't.
    10-18-2018 10:51 PM
    Yes.. you said do you lose any of that and I said no you don't.
    Just wasn't sure I mentioned all of them. Weird u don't get them on unlocked Note9. I believe you Im just surprised
    10-18-2018 10:53 PM
    Just wasn't sure I mentioned all of them. Weird u don't get them on unlocked Note9. I believe you Im just surprised
    Because Verizon doesn't fully support unlocked phones. They sell the Pixel so they make an exception.
    10-18-2018 10:54 PM
    No question then gotta buy unlocked version. No advantage at all to VZW version unless they have a sale or something
    10-18-2018 10:56 PM
    Personally I think it's to keep their own customers from switching. By locking the device it would stop people from taking the phone to another carrier and canceling their service. Only way I can see them justifying locking their device was those on a device payment plan. That would be to ensure the customer is forced to use it on their Network until it's paid off.
    Let's not forget too, that Verizon probably paid a pretty penny for the exclusive. Why would they want to sell phones to people that are not their customers? Making it inconvenient to other carrier customers to buy Verizon phones makes sense to me. It allows them to make sure they have plenty of phones for customers on their network, and that they have more choices of ways to buy.

I get that it has not been this way recently, and their are spectrum issues blah blah blah, but damn people are entitled these days. And this is a case where there are easy options to buy without the issues.
    ZayMoney likes this.
    10-18-2018 10:56 PM
    Personally I think it's to keep their own customers from switching. By locking the device it would stop people from taking the phone to another carrier and canceling their service. Only way I can see them justifying locking their device was those on a device payment plan. That would be to ensure the customer is forced to use it on their Network until it's paid off.
    Not if the lock really is a 24 hour lock. So you stop them for .. 24 hours .. really? lol :P.
    10-18-2018 11:12 PM
    Agreed even though it sucks Verizon started doing this again, other carriers suck as well and their phones are sim locked whether you pay full or not. Sure you can unlock them but every carrier also have policies like TMobile official policy is to unlock after 30 or 40 days on network but generally contacting T-Force on Twitter they sim unlock in a day or two via the T-Mobile sim unlock app that's preloaded on T-Mobile branded phones. It's not like other carriers are any better.

And I don't get blaming Google, they are selling unlocked model right on at store.google.com and it's not like it's out of stock or anything. Sucks that Verizon started doing this but there are options.
    Also.... ^ This
    10-18-2018 11:13 PM
    There was an article sometime back on Droid life that they will start sim locking but said it's still not effective yet. May be they started doing that now?

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/09/1...payment-plans/

"The new unlock policy hasn’t yet replaced their publicly posted policy (here), but Verizon was showing the new policy yesterday on device pages. They have since removed links to it. However, we were able to access it again today on some of their Spanish device pages, thanks to our friend, Google cache.

The new postpaid policy will be put in place to “prevent identity theft and other fraudulent activities,” according to Verizon. They plan to SIM lock devices for 60 days after purchase if purchased at full retail or from a retail partner, so that they can’t be used on another network. Once 60 days is up, the lock will be “automatically” removed."
    Yep. It's this.

Totally violates their agreement with the FCC.

But the current FCC won't do anything about it.

Also - 60 days is too long. If they absolutely had to this because of theft, 1-2 days max.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    10-19-2018 12:22 AM
    Not if the lock really is a 24 hour lock. So you stop them for .. 24 hours .. really? lol :P.
    If 24 hour, or must activate on Verizon first, then I think it's OK. Maybe it's easier to track down if actually stolen?
    10-19-2018 12:24 AM
111 1234 ...