Pixel 3 XL - Verizon Locked (Update: Blog Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZayMoney

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
Hey what's up guys. Here's a little bit of info I just learned with the Verizon pixel 3 and 3xl. So I went and bought one from best buy. (I have at&t) I've had Verizon phones before that were sim unlocked and even on their website it states THEY DO NOT LOCK THEIR 4GLTE devices. I try to put my ATT sim in and it says the device is locked. Mind you I buy the device outright no Device payment agreement. So if you're trying to use a pixel 3 or 3xl from Verizon on another carrier it WILL NOT work. I went to a Verizon store and best buy and they couldn't tell me what was going on other than it won't work

Mod Edit

Blog Post:

https://www.androidcentral.com/google-pixel-3s-purchased-best-buy-are-sim-locked-verizon

Last edited by a moderator:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Pixel 3 XL VERIZON

Hm I wonder if they put in their locked protocols on the Pixel 3. I know Verizon was going to start locking devices until activated (to help prevent fraud supposedly). Got any friends you could slap a Verizon SIM in for then try?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

There was an article sometime back on Droid life that they will start sim locking but said it's still not effective yet. May be they started doing that now?

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/09/...-phones-for-60-days-or-life-of-payment-plans/

"The new unlock policy hasn’t yet replaced their publicly posted policy (here), but Verizon was showing the new policy yesterday on device pages. They have since removed links to it. However, we were able to access it again today on some of their Spanish device pages, thanks to our friend, Google cache.

The new postpaid policy will be put in place to “prevent identity theft and other fraudulent activities,” according to Verizon. They plan to SIM lock devices for 60 days after purchase if purchased at full retail or from a retail partner, so that they can’t be used on another network. Once 60 days is up, the lock will be “automatically” removed."

Last edited:

TechCaptain

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site

There was an article sometime back on Droid life that they will start sim unlocking but said it's still not effective yet. May be they started doing that now?

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/09/...-phones-for-60-days-or-life-of-payment-plans/

"The new unlock policy hasn’t yet replaced their publicly posted policy (here), but Verizon was showing the new policy yesterday on device pages. They have since removed links to it. However, we were able to access it again today on some of their Spanish device pages, thanks to our friend, Google cache.

The new postpaid policy will be put in place to “prevent identity theft and other fraudulent activities,” according to Verizon. They plan to SIM lock devices for 60 days after purchase if purchased at full retail or from a retail partner, so that they can’t be used on another network. Once 60 days is up, the lock will be “automatically” removed."

If this is the case that's absolutely asinine.

ZayMoney

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site

Hm I wonder if they put in their locked protocols on the Pixel 3. I know Verizon was going to start locking devices until activated (to help prevent fraud supposedly). Got any friends you could slap a Verizon SIM in for then try?

Check this out. I went to a Verizon store (authorized dealer) asked them to help Me out to see if that was the case. I offered him and his buddy lunch to try it and they refused. I know they have active dummy sim cards laying around. Went back to best buy where I bought it and they didn't want to try a sim card either for me I was like OK that's fine I'll return it then

ZayMoney

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site

There was an article sometime back on Droid life that they will start sim unlocking but said it's still not effective yet. May be they started doing that now?

If I bought it OUTRIGHT that shouldn't be the case. Also if you check Verizon's site it says nothing about that. Which is foolish on their part

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Yep sounds like this.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site

Well that's kind of nuts on Verizon's part as well as Google's because it seems like it would cause a lot of returns back to Google for people that bought the unlocked version. seems like an underlying motive on Verizon's part is to get people to buy the phone from them and use it on their Network

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Well that's kind of nuts on Verizon's part as well as Google's because it seems like it would cause a lot of returns back to Google for people that bought the unlocked version. seems like an underlying motive on Verizon's part is to get people to buy the phone from them and use it on their Network

Well -- wait -- you are confusing it. If you bought the unlocked version from Google you have no issues. That isn't an issue at all.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site

yeah, most people who buys Verizon version are actual Verizon customer. Some of the folks who are complaining is because they want to use it on other carriers. I can't really fault Verizon for it. yeah, it's kind of a d**k move on Verizon, but the box does say Verizon on it so yeah.

ZayMoney

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site

yeah, most people who buys Verizon version are actual Verizon customer. Some of the folks who are complaining is because they want to use it on other carriers. I can't really fault Verizon for it. yeah, it's kind of a d**k move on Verizon, but the box does say Verizon on it so yeah.

But ALL VERIZON 4GLTE PHONES HAVE BEEN UNLOCKED IN THE past. If it would have stated "we are locking devices for 60 days" I wouldn't have bought it. I had Verizon 9 months ago and I would swap out my att sim on my pixel 2 all the time. That pixel 2 was from Verizon

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

But ALL VERIZON 4GLTE PHONES HAVE BEEN UNLOCKED IN THE past. If it would have stated "we are locking devices for 60 days" I wouldn't have bought it. I had Verizon 9 months ago and I would swap out my att sim on my pixel 2 all the time. That pixel 2 was from Verizon

Yes they have been but as you can see what @bhatech linked they are working on changing that policy. I knew it was coming just didn't know this soon.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site

Believe me, i feel you man. nothing worse than having a brand new toy in front of you, but can't use it. like i said, it's a d**k move by Verizon, but that's the risk people take for taking this route.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

If you are buying from Google direct, buy the unlocked one. No reason to buy the Verizon version from Google store. I understand people trying to buy Verizon version since it's available locally on best buy and Verizon stores or if you are Verizon costumer. But if you are buying from Google store always choose unlocked, it'll work with Verizon or any other carrier.

It's a crappy move by Verizon but honestly can't complain much personally since we have the option to buy unlocked from Google store. I would be mad if that option wasn't there. But I do agree at least Verizon should update their policies on their actual website if infact they have now started sim locking phones.
What about buying direct from Google? Same?

ZayMoney

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site

Believe me, i feel you man. nothing worse than having a brand new toy in front of you, but can't use it. like i said, it's a d**k move by Verizon, but that's the risk people take for taking this route.

So it's my fault that Verizonis locking their devices and not telling anyone? Thats my fault that I went off of what a billion dollar companies website states

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

If you are buying from Google direct, buy the unlocked one. No reason to buy the Verizon version from Google store.

This is how I feel as well (unless you are already a Verizon customer and just want to choose it for the hell of it).

Status
Not open for further replies.