Pixel Stand with metal plate for magnetic mount

tpero

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone tried the wireless charging stand with a case that has a metal plate for a magnetic mount? My new thin fit Spigen case has a warning that the metal plate is incompatible with wireless charging, but I'm hopefule that if you place the plate high enough up on the phone, it will still allow wireless charging to work. But perhaps that is too optimistic?

I use a magnetic mount in my car all the time, and it's the best car mount I've ever used. I'm not willing to take my case off/on all the time just to use wireless charging, so as much as I like the idea of having the pixel stand on my nightstand, the magnet mount takes precedence (for me).

But if it's possible to have the best of both worlds, I'd love to hear about it!

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
It all depends on the platr and the charger and the placement. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. You'll have to experiment.
Has anyone tried the wireless charging stand with a case that has a metal plate for a magnetic mount? My new thin fit Spigen case has a warning that the metal plate is incompatible with wireless charging, but I'm hopefule that if you place the plate high enough up on the phone, it will still allow wireless charging to work. But perhaps that is too optimistic?

I use a magnetic mount in my car all the time, and it's the best car mount I've ever used. I'm not willing to take my case off/on all the time just to use wireless charging, so as much as I like the idea of having the pixel stand on my nightstand, the magnet mount takes precedence (for me).

But if it's possible to have the best of both worlds, I'd love to hear about it!

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
has anyone tested the Pixel 3 / 3XL to see if they might already be compatible with a magnet mount (without adding a metal plate/ring)? Just because the back is glass doesn't mean there isn't a chance that some metal innards would provide adequate ability to attach to a magnet...

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I've read that if the magnate plate is attached to the Pixel 3 at the very bottom of the case, it won't interfere with the wireless charging using the new Google stand. Is this true? Thanks.

pathworks

Dec 1, 2018
Visit site
I've read that if the magnate plate is attached to the Pixel 3 at the very bottom of the case, it won't interfere with the wireless charging using the new Google stand. Is this true? Thanks.

I also have the Spigen case with the divit for the metal plate. Still waiting for my pixel 3 xl case from them but testing the pixel 2 xl case on the 3 xl with the Pixel Stand does not work. I moved the metal plate to the bottom of the case (outside the divit) and the charging does work. It appears the charge sensor on the phone is right under the fingerprint sensor (right where the metal plate sits in the case). I thought about cuting the plate in half but it would make the plate edge prone to scratch the phone so I bagged that idea. Maybe Spigen engineered the new case with a hole in the plate? Won't know until I get it. Placeing the plate at the bottom of the case will be a strange look attached to the magnet in the car an probably will be prone to fail.

Looks like the Pixel Stand will be going back to Google.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Looking for a Google charger stand user that has a magnetic plate attached to their Pixel 3. If it's working, where did you mount the magnetic plate on the Pixel 3. Thanks

pathworks

Dec 1, 2018
Visit site
I have a solution. I purchased a Scosche Magicmount power bank for USB-C Devices. In the box are 2 'Magicplates' (one large and one small). I removed the seal from the small plate and stuck it to the bottom of the divit on Spigen case and it works! I can wireless charge from the Pixel Stand and use the magnet in the car on the vent mount. I purchased the Scosche Magicmount during a 'DealZone' special at B&H for $14.99. Looks like I'm keeping the Pixel Stand now.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Does the metal plate, when slotted into the Spigen case, contact the back of the phone? I'm worried that it would scratch it over time.

suzib

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I also have the Spigen case with the divit for the metal plate. Still waiting for my pixel 3 xl case from them but testing the pixel 2 xl case on the 3 xl with the Pixel Stand does not work. I moved the metal plate to the bottom of the case (outside the divit) and the charging does work. It appears the charge sensor on the phone is right under the fingerprint sensor (right where the metal plate sits in the case). I thought about cuting the plate in half but it would make the plate edge prone to scratch the phone so I bagged that idea. Maybe Spigen engineered the new case with a hole in the plate? Won't know until I get it. Placeing the plate at the bottom of the case will be a strange look attached to the magnet in the car an probably will be prone to fail.

Looks like the Pixel Stand will be going back to Google.

My pixel 3xl will attach to my car magnet holder without a case on it but not with it. I have a spigen case (with the kickstand) and just have the magnet which came with the car mount and is a rectangle between the case and phone like I did with my Pixel for over a year but now it won't work with the pixel stand. I'm tempted to cut the magnet plate into a circle to put around the finger sensor as I think if the magnet is high enough up it will work. I tried it on the very bottom of the phone and it still won't charge in pixel stand.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
For reference with regards to the charging coil location, it is nearly perfectly centered on both models.

Here's exactly where the coil is on the 3 XL (image taken from ifixit.com, red highlight added):

pixel3xl.JPG

and on the 3 (image from JerryRigEverything):

pixel3.jpg

NOw back to the search for the 'golden' solution...

Has anyone tried the Scosche MagicMount? Looks like they include 2 very small rectangular plates (shown for use outside of a case, but I've never had a problem using such plates inside of a case, keeping location via friction (3m tape towards phone for protection)), Plates are designed to line up with the magnets on the mount above and below where the coil needs clearance, which would allow it to hold the phone more firmly in any orientation than a single plate at the bottom. Not cheap (about $60 USD), but most likely option to maintain pixel stand compatibility I've seen.

scosche1.JPG

scosche2.JPG

Another generic brand option, using a magnetic ring - much less expensive at about $37 USD. Looks like accuracy of placement would be much more critical.

OtherOption.JPG

suzib

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
has anyone tested the Pixel 3 / 3XL to see if they might already be compatible with a magnet mount (without adding a metal plate/ring)? Just because the back is glass doesn't mean there isn't a chance that some metal innards would provide adequate ability to attach to a magnet...

yes pixel 3xl back will attach to my car mount without a case but doesn't feel strong enough to hold phone, I still use the metal plate that came with mount

akuki

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. I just held my Pixel 3 XL on the Koomus magnetic car mount, and it stayed up there while driving! Not sure how strong the naked hold will be in more severe driving, but I prefer a thin clear case over thicker opaque ones that can disguise an added metal plate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12