Pixel 3 Battery reports

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I don't know what's going on here, I didn't use my phone at all...I got to work at 8:45am and it's been sitting in my pocket mostly and it dropped 30% in 3 hours. I have disabled adaptive battery now to see if that helps.Screenshot_20181105-120037.jpeg

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Ugh my battery life isn't good, had it on pixel stand over night went out this morning for appointment, didnt do much on it, got back around 11 working from home. AoD off, raise to wake and double tap on. Bluetooth, location and wifi always on (I should not need to shut these off). Adaptive battery and brightness on. Brightness at 60% usually.Screenshot_20181106-135621.jpegScreenshot_20181106-135449.jpeg

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Ugh my battery life isn't good, had it on pixel stand over night went out this morning for appointment, didnt do much on it, got back around 11 working from home. AoD off, raise to wake and double tap on. Bluetooth, location and wifi always on (I should not need to shut these off). Adaptive battery and brightness on. Brightness at 60% usually.

Definitely agree something is outside of normal. Have you contacted tech support to see if they can offer any insight?

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
No I'm being stubborn and want to resolve myself lol I haven't had it a full week yet, I usually figure it out myself
Definitely agree something is outside of normal. Have you contacted tech support to see if they can offer any insight?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
No I'm being stubborn and want to resolve myself lol I haven't had it a full week yet, I usually figure it out myself

Last time I saw something that bad was a couple of years ago when Facebook went rogue and highjacked the battery on mist everyone. I would try fully charging it and run it in safe mode to see if it reduces the drain rate.

cbcasas

Jun 1, 2018
Visit site
Anyone have any insight on whether Google Play Music uses less battery than Spotify. Spotify has been murdering my battery on my Pixel 3.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Last time I saw something that bad was a couple of years ago when Facebook went rogue and highjacked the battery on mist everyone. I would try fully charging it and run it in safe mode to see if it reduces the drain rate.

Is it possible Adaptive Brightness could cause some potential, unnecessary battery drain? I have to imagine with it ON that the sw needs to constantly read light source from front facing camera. to be honest after a week i havent found it work too great, i keep changing it to what i want but it gets confused...sometimes ill even sit there and the brightness will shift 3 times.

Martin_F

Oct 16, 2018
Visit site
Is it possible Adaptive Brightness could cause some potential, unnecessary battery drain? I have to imagine with it ON that the sw needs to constantly read light source from front facing camera. to be honest after a week i havent found it work too great, i keep changing it to what i want but it gets confused...sometimes ill even sit there and the brightness will shift 3 times.

I would think the proximity sensor would take care of that instead of the camera.

Martin_F

Oct 16, 2018
Visit site
You could be right, i honestly dont know

On my Pixel 3 with AOD on, when I cover the cameras nothing happens, but when I cover the opposing side of the speaker grill for a while, the display turns off. Same thing happens when you put it in your pocket.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
So not sure what was different today but it's a week I've had it and the longivity on a charge has improved...still have adaptive battery and brightness on. Getting better.Screenshot_20181108-194749.jpegScreenshot_20181108-194740.jpeg

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Seems like when you get a new mobile phone, for the 1st few weeks.
The phone goes into a learning mode.
Even the battery.
Things adjust and improve.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Seems like when you get a new mobile phone, for the 1st few weeks.
The phone goes into a learning mode.
Even the battery.
Things adjust and improve.

It also doesn't help battery life when you're using a new device more, learning it's capabilities or just playing around with it. Even before Adaptive Battery, I usually figured that my first week with a new phone wouldn't show me it's normal battery life because I knew I'd be using it more than I would, say a month later.

rexxsor

Oct 31, 2018
Visit site
Been using the phone for a week now and yeah battery life is quite acceptable. Latest usage from today is 6.5 hours screen on time.

This included browsing, instagram and a lot of photos. Plus about an hour of gaming to complete the day.

Always on Display active. Connected to mobile data the whole day.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181109-200644.jpg
    Screenshot_20181109-200644.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 31

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

and Facebook has not been on my phone since.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
It also doesn't help battery life when you're using a new device more, learning it's capabilities or just playing around with it. Even before Adaptive Battery, I usually figured that my first week with a new phone wouldn't show me it's normal battery life because I knew I'd be using it more than I would, say a month later.

True, i figured as much and did hold my expectations to be after 1 week of use before getting concerned. I just dont change phone very often (usually every 1.5 to 2 years) and tend to forget how the first week can be such a drastic difference to settling in. Exactly 1 week with the Pixel 3 (not xl) and the battery has gone from dismal to very good, im pleased with what ive been getting since yesterday.

I forgot to also mention im using Live Wallpapers and dont want to turn them off because they look sweet....yes they will use more battery, did not realize until now and maybe thats a point that while its cool its unnecessary

Last edited:

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
and Facebook has not been on my phone since.

its never on mine for multiple reasons. I have been using an app called friendly that has an ad blocker and doesn't eat resources in the background. Though I do get tired of FB occasionally and uninstall that to but between the Amoled mode, Ad blocker and being able to re-order the feed and a few other features, I just leave it on now.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Pixel 2 uses a Li-ion battery
Pixel 3 uses a Li-po battery

From my reading:
Lithium ion batteries have higher energy density and cost less than lithium polymer. Lithium polymer batteries are lighter weight and have improved safety . However their cost is higher (30% average) as compared to lithium ion. Lithium ion batteries tend to lose charge with ageing even when not used, while Li- Polymer batteries retain charge for a longer period even while ageing.

So that's why the price went up so much on the Pixel 3/3XL!

djisia87

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I have no complaints about 3XL... 12 hours with 5 SOT. Forgot to screenshot it. Give you new device several days and it will be good.