Android Auto

bkrickles

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I had one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6381522 in my bag of tricks (I'm an IT professional with a very large bag of tricks...) which I tried on the ride home last night.

It did connect much more reliably - about 5-8 seconds after plugging in which is still much slower than the 2XL was.

Also, I think this was mentioned somewhere, I have the problem where my audio volume control gets hijacked and put into "Voice Oper." mode. It's a random thing and almost seems like the 3XL "hears" something and thinks I want its attention; my current media volume drops down a notch or two and any attempt to change it just raises or lowers the Voice Oper. volume setting. The only way to adjust my media (radio, SiriusXM, SDCard music) volume at that point is to pull the cable from the 3XL.

Pretty darned annoying, but I assume a software update will eventually fix it.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is not a 3xl hardware/software issue. I've had the EXACT same thing happen with my 2xl in my 2018 Honda Accord.
It's happened probably a half dozen times in the past couple of weeks and I'd say it is most certainly the AA app since that is the only thing we have in common here.
BTW, I have found that when this happens if I press and hold the command button on my steering wheel and ask a simple question like what's the weather, it puts everything back in order and I can then control volume on my Siriusxm or whatever else I've got going on.
It was totally bugging me out and seemed completely random but I'm going to stick to my guns and blame it on the Android Auto app. That gets updated every month and I bet this started with the last update.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is not a 3xl hardware/software issue. I've had the EXACT same thing happen with my 2xl in my 2018 Honda Accord.
It's happened probably a half dozen times in the past couple of weeks and I'd say it is most certainly the AA app since that is the only thing we have in common here.
BTW, I have found that when this happens if I press and hold the command button on my steering wheel and ask a simple question like what's the weather, it puts everything back in order and I can then control volume on my Siriusxm or whatever else I've got going on.
It was totally bugging me out and seemed completely random but I'm going to stick to my guns and blame it on the Android Auto app. That gets updated every month and I bet this started with the last update.
That's a great tip; I'll be sure to try it.

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I had one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6381671 in my bag of tricks (I'm an IT professional with a very large bag of tricks...) which I tried on the ride home last night.

It did connect much more reliably - about 5-8 seconds after plugging in which is still much slower than the 2XL was.

Also, I think this was mentioned somewhere, I have the problem where my audio volume control gets hijacked and put into "Voice Oper." mode. It's a random thing and almost seems like the 3XL "hears" something and thinks I want its attention; my current media volume drops down a notch or two and any attempt to change it just raises or lowers the Voice Oper. volume setting. The only way to adjust my media (radio, SiriusXM, SDCard music) volume at that point is to pull the cable from the 3XL.

Pretty darned annoying, but I assume a software update will eventually fix it.

I tried a lot of different cables, including ones that should have worked, but the one that really fixed my issues was the one from Google. I know it's annoying, but it fixed things.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone attest to the fact that when connected to AA that their phone is "charging" and not "charging slowly"?
Funny you should ask that.

Just got into my wife's VW Jetta and plugged in to the AA port and my 3XL says it is charging slowly.

Not sure if my Passat does the same. At any rate, I assume it is the car's power output that determines whether the phone charges slowly or rapidly.

SmoovC

Oct 11, 2018
Visit site
Funny you should ask that.

Just got into my wife's VW Jetta and plugged in to the AA port and my 3XL says it is charging slowly.

Not sure if my Passat does the same. At any rate, I assume it is the car's power output that determines whether the phone charges slowly or rapidly.

Thank you for confirmation. I am wondering why a Pixel 2 XL shows "charging" while the Pixel 3 XL shows "charging slowly". Same vehicles, same ports, and same cables. The only thing that has changed is the phone. I am thinking it is more related to the phone than the vehicle's port.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for confirmation. I am wondering why a Pixel 2 XL shows "charging" while the Pixel 3 XL shows "charging slowly". Same vehicles, same ports, and same cables. The only thing that has changed is the phone. I am thinking it is more related to the phone than the vehicle's port.
Maybe the 3XL requires more power to charge rapidly than the 2XL.

Or, maybe the 2XL didn't bother to say "slowly" when it was actually doing just that.

SmoovC

Oct 11, 2018
Visit site
Maybe the 3XL requires more power to charge rapidly than the 2XL.

Or, maybe the 2XL didn't bother to say "slowly" when it was actually doing just that.

I can confirm that the P2 does gain 20% to 25% charge on my 30 minute commute home. The P3 however, does not; it may gain at most 5%. I find it hard to believe the P3 takes more power to charge, as the OEM charging bricks and OEM cables are the same for both phones.

That in itself means there is something different in charging implementation; rather than current requirements.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that the P2 does gain 20% to 25% charge on my 30 minute commute home. The P3 however, does not; it may gain at most 5%. I find it hard to believe the P3 takes more power to charge, as the OEM charging bricks and OEM cables are the same for both phones.
I'm seeing the same. On this 25 minute ride to the mall I've gained about 3%. That's while deliberately using the phone as little as possible

SmoovC

Oct 11, 2018
Visit site
I'm seeing the same. On this 25 minute ride to the mall I've gained about 3%. That's while deliberately using the phone as little as possible

This is a dealbreaker for me. I use my phone all day for work, and the commute is when it should recharge for the rest of the evening. Further, what happens on a long trip when using maps, music and Assistant? I arrive at my destination with a dead phone?

Not happy.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
This is a dealbreaker for me. I use my phone all day for work, and the commute is when it should recharge for the rest of the evening. Further, what happens on a long trip when using maps, music and Assistant? I arrive at my destination with a dead phone?

Not happy.
Maybe this is another case where Google Cable would make a difference?

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

Not happy.

Same, this is a pretty big deal for me...I expect 30% charge on my 1 hr commute as I’ve been getting with my iPhone 7+ plugged into my 2016 Golf. I will carry my packed in charger to work, and use the wireless charging stand at home...but this is pretty annoying to hear.

SmoovC

Oct 11, 2018
Visit site
Same, this is a pretty big deal for me...I expect 30% charge on my 1 hr commute as I’ve been getting with my iPhone 7+ plugged into my 2016 Golf. I will carry my packed in charger to work, and use the wireless charging stand at home...but this is pretty annoying to hear.

Are you using the "official cable" or something else in the car?

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

Not happy.

How do you figure? If it's gaining on your commute, it's gaining. On a long trip it would still gain. How would you end up with a dead phone?

SmoovC

Oct 11, 2018
Visit site
How do you figure? If it's gaining on your commute, it's gaining. On a long trip it would still gain. How would you end up with a dead phone?

"Gaining" is a lot different than "maintaining". With the P2XL, I am getting approx 1% per minute while in car and running AA. With the P3XL, maybe 1% per 10 minutes. That's pretty poor by any standard.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It's only gaining because he is not using the phone. Turn in navigation and I'll bet the phone will discharge.

This used to be a quite common problem.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12