Call screening FTW!

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I just had my first chance to use the new call screening feature on the 3XL and that was sweet. I highly suspected the call was spam, and they hung up during the initial hello and script that the call was being answered by a call screener.

So much more satisfying than sending to VM. This feature alone may justify the purchase. :D

So just for fun, I called myself to see how it works if they don't just hang up. It is pretty damn slick. You see immediately what the caller is saying, and you have voice prompts that you can click on the bottom of the screen to get more info, ask for a name, or politely tell them to call back later.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I just had my first chance to use the new call screening feature on the 3XL and that was sweet. I highly suspected the call was spam, and they hung up during the initial hello and script that the call was being answered by a call screener.

So much more satisfying than sending to VM. This feature alone may justify the purchase. :D

So just for fun, I called myself to see how it works if they don't just hang up. It is pretty damn slick. You see immediately what the caller is saying, and you have voice prompts that you can click on the bottom of the screen to get more info, ask for a name, or politely tell them to call back later.

Just used it today myself

I love it

TheJastrom

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
This is honestly the feature that made me the most excited at the Made by Google Event lol. It kinda of says something about the amount of spam calls we receive.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm wanting to try this feature out so bad. Usually in a day I've had 2 spam calls by this time and of course today my phone hasn't rang a single time.

Stoopstroop

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I thought google had integrated spam identification in the phone app already. Or are you guys just using it to play with the scammers? lol

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I thought google had integrated spam identification in the phone app already. Or are you guys just using it to play with the scammers? lol

This goes beyond the spam detection. I am currently getting a call a day from the Atlanta area with some offer, number changes everyday and is not picked up by Spam detector. Now I hit a new button -- the Call Screening button -- and it answers the phone explaining that the call is being screened and asking what the caller wants. The callers response is transcribed in text on your screen live time, and there is are blurb that you can push to ask additional questions, like "Who is this" or "What is this about". Also, you can respond that you will call back later and the call will disconnect.

It is very clever, and works flawlessly. It will be interesting to see the response of a valid caller -- say a job recruiter.

Last edited:

Dean Liensdorf

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
This is the feature I can't wait to get on my 2. When Google demo'd it at the made by Google event I was like "Now that's cool!"
I'm glad to hear that works really well.