Pixel 3 XL issues

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
If it's anything like the pixel 2 the majority of those will have to reload if you went back to them. Just because they're shown in the app window doesn't mean they haven't been killed.

That's true of apps that require reloading like games but a portion of the app is still in memory regardless.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
That's true of apps that require reloading like games but a portion of the app is still in memory regardless.

Your swipe up list is just a history of recently opened apps, not a list of apps fully open in RAM. Yes, some killed apps will have background processes loaded in RAM (e.g. email apps that periodically check for mail), however the killed app will have to reload from storage if you want to view it again. That's very different from having "23 apps open in the background."

Kingfroman

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Thinking about it Snapchat was one of the apps that caused by background apps to shut down. Maybe anything using the camera is the culprit.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Your swipe up list is just a history of recently opened apps, not a list of apps fully open in RAM. Yes, some killed apps will have background processes loaded in RAM (e.g. email apps that periodically check for mail), however the killed app will have to reload from storage if you want to view it again. That's very different from having "23 apps open in the background."

I didn't say fully open.

What phone do you own?

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I didn't say fully open.

What phone do you own?

No, but that's the reasonable reading of the word "open," which "killed" apps are not in any meaningful sense of that word.

A Nexus 6P on its last legs and needing replacement. For some time I've been targeting the P3XL as its replacement (hence my interest in this forum) and want to love it, but a) with 5G coming I'm not sure the timing is right to buy a 3-yr replacement device and b) since my 3GB RAM 6P kills apps regularly I'm skeptical that a 4GB device will remedy that for the next three years. That said, I still may bite the bullet and buy one, but I want to see/hear more about real life usage of the device before doing so, which is why I stick around here.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
No, but that's the reasonable reading of the word "open," which "killed" apps are not in any meaningful sense of that word.

A Nexus 6P on its last legs and needing replacement. For some time I've been targeting the P3XL as its replacement (hence my interest in this forum) and want to love it, but a) with 5G coming I'm not sure the timing is right to buy a 3-yr replacement device and b) since my 3GB RAM 6P kills apps regularly I'm skeptical that a 4GB device will remedy that for the next three years. That said, I still may bite the bullet and buy one, but I want to see/hear more about real life usage of the device before doing so, which is why I stick around here.

The 5G situation is hard to predict this far in advance. I don't keep my phone's that long anymore because phones plans have strayed away from 2 year upgrade scenario. I also prefer to upgrade sooner because it gets me into a fresh phone with a fresh battery. In addition even though the upgrades aren't very dramatic there are always a couple of features that pull me in. I really was hesitant in upgrading from the 2XL which has been perfect and has a year left on it's warranty but if I get a few bucks on Swappa I'll be OK. I'm OK with 4GB for now and I'm confident the Pixel 4 will offer more memory by then and since the HTC design team is involved we are likely to see some major changes.
If I were in your shoes where RAM and intending to keep a phone longer is important, I might wait for the LG V40 to drop in price. Of course, the updates aren't as timely if that matters. There's always Samsung but I'm not a fan of curved screens. Alternatively a new or slightly used Pixel 2 might get you by until the Pixel 4 or 5 comes along. A lot of people also like the one plus six but I'm a Verizon guy so that's out.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
If I were in your shoes where RAM and intending to keep a phone longer is important, I might wait for the LG V40 to drop in price. Of course, the updates aren't as timely if that matters. There's always Samsung but I'm not a fan of curved screens. Alternatively a new or slightly used Pixel 2 might get you by until the Pixel 4 or 5 comes along. A lot of people also like the one plus six but I'm a Verizon guy so that's out.

I don't want to deal with selling my phones, which is why I keep and use them for a few years. All the limitations you mention on the other brands are reasons why I wouldn't want them for 2-3 years, plus I really prefer stock Android. OnePlus and moving to ATT is an option, but VZW is better at my house so... Will at least wait until the 6T is out to see if the rumored VZW usability materializes (not optimistic). Anyway, we're a bit off thread topic here, but thanks.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Verizon is better at my house also but ATT is better everywhere else I go. Thankfully the pixel 3 gets wifi calling on ATT so I haven't had any problems not using a att branded device as non branded devices typically won't get wifi calling on ATT. I've been going strong. The 4gb of ram has been fine for me. But I don't keep tons of apps open at one time. And like the other poster I don't keep my phones for long. I barely make it a month or so before switching let alone 3 years so my concerns with long term use or ram is a non starter.
I don't want to deal with selling my phones, which is why I keep and use them for a few years. All the limitations you mention on the other brands are reasons why I wouldn't want them for 2-3 years, plus I really prefer stock Android. OnePlus and moving to ATT is an option, but VZW is better at my house so... Will at least wait until the 6T is out to see if the rumored VZW usability materializes (not optimistic). Anyway, we're a bit off thread topic here, but thanks.

JoePa2624

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Set up my Pixel 3 XL this morning and it sounds like my bottom speaker is blown? Even at ~20% volume there is significant static.

Any ideas?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Set up my Pixel 3 XL this morning and it sounds like my bottom speaker is blown? Even at ~20% volume there is significant static.

Any ideas?

How is the audio through a headset?
If it's good through the headset it could be a bad speaker.
If it's happens on both speaker and headset and with every app I would say there's a big problem with the hardware. I did have an audio issue on an LG phone once that was similar and I fixed it by doing a factory reset.

marcocb8

Apr 30, 2018
Visit site
It seem to be a pretty wide spread issue now and it only seem to affect the bottom speaker.
Let's hope they fix it soon. I know some of you lucky guys have no issue with the speaker, good to hear that. At least you guys don't have to go thru the hassle of RMA and hoping to get a good one.

josh3326

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
I have an issue with opening up apps. Some apps just never open up, instead showing a spinning blue wheel. Ram issues aren't a big deal till I listen to Spotify, but the slow opening of apps is the worst. Opening Excel, WheatherBug, and others take a while. My Note 9 or S9 are super fast at opening apps. Pixel 2 is pretty bad also. Calling the support, only to get someone from India who doesn't understand a word you're saying, only drags the call on so you get tired and end the call. I still have the launch day Pixel 2xl with screen burn in and a port issue never resolved. I have recorded tech calls that prove that they don't want to exchange a phone. I'm not looking for an exchange of the Pixel 3, but this should be much better than it is at the price we pay. Going back to the Pixel 2, well I can't sell that because of the screen and when they try to plug headphones only to find the port is bad, it's a no sale.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995