10-28-2018 07:33 AM
157 1234 ...
tools
    See the video below for an example of the memory management issue. It makes me a little nervous that the issue occurs only on the Pixel 3 and not the Pixel 2...does this imply that it's a hardware issue and not software? I would like for Google to comment on this and indicate that it is fixable, otherwise I may return the phone for the 1+6t. There is only a 15 day return period on the Pixel 3 after your delivery date and that's with a $35 restocking fee unless I'm able to convince them that the memory issue counts as a hardware defect.

The thing is I Can Be Your Hero said it happened on his 2XL.
    10-21-2018 08:21 PM
    I think the video shows the 3XL reloading apps more often
    10-21-2018 08:24 PM
    I think the video shows the 3XL reloading apps more often
    I was responding to his assertion that it happens on the the 3 and not the 2. Considering that they essentially use the same hardware, that should mean it happens all of them unless they coded the the XL series different than the regular Pixels, which I seriously doubt.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    10-21-2018 08:28 PM
    I've found a workaround that fixes the issue for me!! See here. Basically, whitelist everything, or at least your important apps under adaptive battery, and I would suggest that if you have adaptive battery off, turn it on, and begin whitelisting apps as they appear.

Interestingly, I actually turned off adaptive battery as soon as I got the phone thinking I would get better performance, but I was still having RAM management issues. I think that with adaptive battery on, any app that is whitelisted will have full access to RAM and the processor, but if you turn adaptive battery off, there must be a "light" version of adaptive battery that is still throttling everything. Turning adaptive battery on gives you full control of what is actually being throttled or kicked out of memory. Because I just turned adaptive battery on, no apps are currently listed as "misbehaving" and so nothing is being throttled. As apps begin to get on this list, I will just whitelist all of them.

So, I turned adaptive battery on, and the performance of my phone actually improved. I ran a test cycling through the camera w/pictures taken, instagram, chrome, instagram, and gmail, and nothing is being kicked out of memory! It's back to being a really fast and snappy phone without the constant reloading of apps.

I'm just glad to know that this is definitely a software issue. In the video above, it's possible that the guy who made the video had a fresh install on the Pixel 2 or already whitelisted everything on the Pixel 2 and so nothing was blacklisted under adaptive battery and being kicked out of memory.
    Ronny Reicher likes this.
    10-21-2018 08:30 PM
    I was responding to his assertion that it happens on the the 3 and not the 2. Considering that they essentially use the same hardware, that should mean it happens all of them unless they coded the the XL series different than the regular Pixels, which I seriously doubt.
    I know but the video does show the 3 reloading more frequently
    10-21-2018 08:32 PM
    I've found a workaround that fixes the issue for me!! See here. Basically, whitelist everything, or at least your important apps under adaptive battery, and I would suggest that if you have adaptive battery off, turn it on, and begin whitelisting apps as they appear.

Interestingly, I actually turned off adaptive battery as soon as I got the phone thinking I would get better performance, but I was still having RAM management issues. I think that with adaptive battery on, any app that is whitelisted will have full access to RAM and the processor, but if you turn adaptive battery off, there must be a "light" version of adaptive battery that is still throttling everything. Turning adaptive battery on gives you full control of what is actually being throttled or kicked out of memory. Because I just turned adaptive battery on, no apps are currently listed as "misbehaving" and so nothing is being throttled. As apps begin to get on this list, I will just whitelist all of them.

So, I turned adaptive battery on, and the performance of my phone actually improved. I ran a test cycling through the camera w/pictures taken, instagram, chrome, instagram, and gmail, and nothing is being kicked out of memory! It's back to being a really fast and snappy phone without the constant reloading of apps.

I'm just glad to know that this is definitely a software issue. In the video above, it's possible that the guy who made the video had a fresh install on the Pixel 2 or already whitelisted everything on the Pixel 2 and so nothing was blacklisted under adaptive battery and being kicked out of memory.
    Do you're saying this is a workaround to mitigate the problem for now?
    10-21-2018 08:35 PM

So, I turned adaptive battery on, and the performance of my phone actually improved. I ran a test cycling through the camera w/pictures taken, instagram, chrome, instagram, and gmail, and nothing is refreshing!

I'm just glad to know that this is definitely a software issue.
    I thought the point of adaptive battery was to limit apps' functionality while the phone was in sleep mode, not for apps running in the background while the phone's active. Perhaps I was mistaken.
    10-21-2018 08:36 PM
    Do you're saying this is a workaround to mitigate the problem for now?
    Yeah, it definitely works for me. I imagine that Google will still come out with a fix for this though. Obviously something in the way they set up ram management isn't working as intended.
    10-21-2018 08:40 PM
    Here's an article on the matter, but I don't think guy is very knowledgeable. For instance, he said that the Pixel 2/2XL were completely different internally. I was under the impression that other than the battery and display, they were the same, like they were on the original Pixels.

Anyways, here's the link:

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/andr...e-with-pixel-3
    10-21-2018 08:40 PM
    I know but the video does show the 3 reloading more frequently
    I get that, but he wasn't saying it happened less on the Pixel 2, he said it didn't happen at all on it. That's the only reason I posted.
    10-21-2018 08:44 PM
    Yeah, it definitely works for me. I imagine that Google will still come out with a fix for this though. Obviously something in the way they set up ram management isn't working as intended.
    Good find....I noticed that it required a reboot just like listed in XDA thread. The music apps no longer crash while using the camera in high memory functions. I only whitelisted my music apps. I don't care as much about reloading. Now I'm wondering if after a couple of days of using the music apps it would have whitelisted them automatically.
    10-21-2018 08:47 PM
    I get that, but he wasn't saying it happened less on the Pixel 2, he said it didn't happen at all on it. That's the only reason I posted.
    OK
    10-21-2018 08:48 PM
    I whitelisted the camera app too
    10-21-2018 08:54 PM
    I went back and looked at my Pixel 2XL and it only has the original apps whitelisted.....I guess it didn't learn much.
    10-21-2018 09:03 PM
    Not really what I said. Here's what I actually said:

It absolutely is a real issue - it happens with my Pixel 2 XL all the time. I believe it would be one or a combination of these 3 causes:
    I didn't make the assertion that it only happens to the Pixel 3 and not the Pixel 2. I was saying that frequent app reloads is something that occurs on my Pixel 2 XL. But according to that video, it seems that there are (worryingly) even more app reloads on the Pixel 3.

For an $800 phone, people should be expecting much better. Hope Google come out and fix this.
    10-22-2018 04:34 AM
    I really hope there's an update for these issues, for both the 3 and the 2 pixels...
    10-22-2018 06:35 AM
    You can't add more RAM to the phone, so no, it won't be fixed via software update.
    10-22-2018 06:36 AM
    You can't add more RAM to the phone, so no, it won't be fixed via software update.
    Can you clarify? How would adding hardware fix a software issue and how does the ability or inability to add hardware mean that Google won't attempt to fix the software issue with a software update?
    10-22-2018 07:11 AM
    Can you clarify? How would adding hardware fix a software issue and how does the ability or inability to add hardware mean that Google won't attempt to fix the software issue with a software update?
    The problem for music apps crashing already has a work around. Simply adding them to the whitelist for adaptive battery remedies the issue after a restart. This leads me to believe that it's a software problem and might even been related to adaptive battery. I wonder if whitelisting other apps will keep them in memory longer. I checked after adding those apps to the whitelist and it seems to keep more apps in memory without reloading. I'm going to try disabling adaptive battery to see if that also helps.
    10-22-2018 07:35 AM
    Disabling adaptive battery also prevents the music apps from forcing closed while using the camera but of course battery life may be impacted. The strange thing about adaptive battery it's supposed to learn which apps you use infrequently but I checked the Pixel 2XL and it didn't add any frequently used apps to to the white list or at least I don't see any difference between the 2 and 3 unless they got copied over Looks like all or mostly system apps
    bhatech likes this.
    10-22-2018 07:49 AM
    Right, it's a known software issue. So why are we bringing up hardware and why would Google not patch it?
    bhatech likes this.
    10-22-2018 07:53 AM
    I gave that idea to another user in different thread to disable the adaptive battery was curious how it worked out haven't heard back on the results.
    10-22-2018 07:58 AM
    Right, it's a known software issue. So why are we bringing up hardware and why would Google not patch it?
    I'm sure they will patch it. The people bringing up hardware are probably reaching for what they think is low hanging fruit.
    bhatech and windows in jazz like this.
    10-22-2018 08:03 AM
    Those of you experiencing this problem, are you considered "power users"? I am not. I use my phone for a camera, Reddit, FB, a few games here and there and typical phone functionalities. I don't do split screens running two apps at once and rarely do I even use YT's small video/floating video feature while looking at something else.

Is this problem apparent even w/ that kind of usage?
    10-22-2018 08:41 AM
    Those of you experiencing this problem, are you considered "power users"? I am not. I use my phone for a camera, Reddit, FB, a few games here and there and typical phone functionalities. I don't do split screens running two apps at once and rarely do I even use YT's small video/floating video feature while looking at something else.

Is this problem apparent even w/ that kind of usage?
    If you like to listen to music while taking photos it could shut down the music app. Other than that if you don't like waiting for some recently opened apps to refresh or reload it shouldn't be an issue. I don't mind waiting a second or two for something to reload as I'm not that power hungry.
    10-22-2018 08:46 AM
157 1234 ...