10-28-2018 08:33 AM
157 ... 34567
tools
    Also, do we think Google made these changes, although too extreme, in an effort to need less RAM?
    Not to need less ram, it would be more to conserve battery life....which Google could have addressed by putting in a larger battery. We're seeing phones with 4k+ mAh batteries and they're not needing such aggressive ram management.

Having a large battery would have benefitted the phone so much - wouldn't have to be so aggressive with ram management, much better battery life for the user and possibly would have allowed a higher max brightness for the screen as there's more battery to chew through.
    10-23-2018 08:53 AM
    Not to need less ram, it would be more to conserve battery life....which Google could have addressed by putting in a larger battery. We're seeing phones with 4k+ mAh batteries and they're not needing such aggressive ram management.

Having a large battery would have benefitted the phone so much - wouldn't have to be so aggressive with ram management, much better battery life for the user and possibly would have allowed a higher max brightness for the screen as there's more battery to chew through.
    I'm all for a bigger battery, although far so good with the XL. Maybe next year Google will up their game with HTC team on board.
    10-23-2018 08:58 AM
    I took 20 pictures of a family friends birthday and none zilch zero saved. Furious almost asked for a refund for the Pixel 3. Instead I did a complete format and reinstalled all my apps, have not had an issue since.
    10-23-2018 09:11 AM
    Not sure if this will help,. But giving feedback to Google through your pixel phones may help them see to address the management issue. I did this last night, but I'm only one person .... And I am not sure if that's the right way of getting them to notice the problem...
    10-23-2018 09:57 AM
    Not sure if this will help,. But giving feedback to Google through your pixel phones may help them see to address the management issue. I did this last night, but I'm only one person .... And I am not sure if that's the right way of getting them to notice the problem...
    I did this as well on Sunday. She said it was the first time she has heard this and documented the case so it could be fixed in the next security release.
    10-23-2018 09:59 AM
    I did this as well on Sunday. She said it was the first time she has heard this and documented the case so it could be fixed in the next security release.
    It was the first time she heard it, but I doubt Google is not aware of it
    10-23-2018 10:53 AM
    I agree
    10-23-2018 10:57 AM
    I took 20 pictures of a family friends birthday and none zilch zero saved. Furious almost asked for a refund for the Pixel 3. Instead I did a complete format and reinstalled all my apps, have not had an issue since.
    See here.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/go...ng-photos.html
    10-23-2018 11:05 AM
    It was the first time she heard it, but I doubt Google is not aware of it
    They are completely aware of it.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/go...ng-photos.html
    10-23-2018 11:06 AM
    Doubtful since the keynote was a good 2ish weeks after the release of iPhones ?
    I'm not an Apple guy by any means, my last was the iPhone 4 and its been all Android since then. I am just disappointed to be reading about this memory management issue when I, and others, expect a bit more from this phone right out of the box. I'll try the adaptive battery and white list work around because I know I won't be able to stand not trying out this phone since the box is right here next to me. Just a bit of let down when I was so excited for my first Pixel phone but hopefully Google can make things right with an update.
    10-23-2018 11:22 AM
    I'm not an Apple guy by any means, my last was the iPhone 4 and its been all Android since then. I am just disappointed to be reading about this memory management issue when I, and others, expect a bit more from this phone right out of the box. I'll try the adaptive battery and white list work around because I know I won't be able to stand not trying out this phone since the box is right here next to me. Just a bit of let down when I was so excited for my first Pixel phone but hopefully Google can make things right with an update.
    And iPhone had issues out the box with its starting price phone of $1,100 .. It happens. It is inevitable for software to have bugs. In a perfect world there would be no bugs but that isn't going to happen.

To me the key isn't that a company releases with no bugs -- it is how fast they fix it. I am confident Google will fix it. Samsung or something -- well -- go look at the Note 9 area and look how many have been waiting for a camera fix for awhile now and have no idea if it is coming. That is where I say it isn't okay.
    anon(10092459) and J Dubbs like this.
    10-23-2018 11:25 AM
    And iPhone had issues out the box with its starting price phone of $1,100 .. It happens. It is inevitable for software to have bugs. In a perfect world there would be no bugs but that isn't going to happen.

To me the key isn't that a company releases with no bugs -- it is how fast they fix it. I am confident Google will fix it. Samsung or something -- well -- go look at the Note 9 area and look how many have been waiting for a camera fix for awhile now and have no idea if it is coming. That is where I say it isn't okay.
    When I had my LGV20 no attempts were ever made to fix the camera. I had the V30 for 2 weeks while waiting for the pixel 2XL last year....same lousy camera.
    10-23-2018 11:37 AM
    I've never really cared about specs before, but I'm starting to as the prices on Android phones increase. I mean, when the Nexus 4 came out, it was startlingly cheap compared to Apple's devices. Yeah, Apple may have had it beat in some specs, but those differences weren't worth the price difference to me. The problem as I see it is that Apple is killing it on the hardware improvements and Android phone makers just keep increasing their prices. Samsung was always expensive, but even Huawei is getting in on the $1,000 phone craze. A Pixel 3 XL is just $100 cheaper than the iPhone XS. The regular Pixel 3 is actually more expensive than the XR. I'm not sure its faults can be excused as easily as when Google's flagships were closer to half the cost of the competition.

As the title says, apparently some reviewers have had issues with apps staying open in the background.

My questions are: a) is this your experience? B) I find it hard to just "blame it on the 4gb ram" as many phones including the xl2 have 4gb and this issue isn't there-hence, can we expect a simple update to fix this issue?
    J Dubbs likes this.
    10-23-2018 03:22 PM
    Memory issues do abound as I normally run 4-6 apps at a time and memory manager is already showing 3.1 gb used. I often have apps refreshing and on my S9+ with 6gb I don't have this issue. Of course that galaxy is still running 8.1 so i'll wait on an update and go from there...but with that big screen and only 4 gb of memory, power usage will get greatly reduced.
    10-24-2018 04:55 AM
    Memory issues do abound as I normally run 4-6 apps at a time and memory manager is already showing 3.1 gb used. I often have apps refreshing and on my S9+ with 6gb I don't have this issue. Of course that galaxy is still running 8.1 so i'll wait on an update and go from there...but with that big screen and only 4 gb of memory, power usage will get greatly reduced.
    I hear what everyone is saying about apps refreshing but for my purposes I never even gave it a thought until the "is 4GB enough RAM conversation" began. I mean it's nice and all to have quick opening apps but is that vital? I'm just not seeing it. Now the "I'm a power user crowd" will say that they need it for productivity and that's OK but I don't think that's where Google is aiming. I also realize that part of it is that many feel for the price why can't Google up their game. Ultimately when we are spending this kind of money we have to be careful with our choices and compromises. I know for my usage there is no perfect phone but for me Google comes close.
    anon(10092459) likes this.
    10-24-2018 06:42 AM
    I remember when 1GB was considered a lot of RAM! Anyway, as Apps keep using more, there will never be enough for everyone!
    10-24-2018 07:16 AM
    Ideally you want that 3.1 to be as close to 3.33, or 90%, as possible. That said, all three of my Pixel 3 devices have also only been hovering around a 3.1 average, including one doing so all summer long.

One of the main tenants of Android resource management is that we want as much RAM in use as possible. 3.1 is only about 82%.

One of the main problems with some of the OEMs doing 6 GB + RAM is that they are trying to force a Windows style mentality upon Android resource management, which a) requires more RAM and b) is the main cause of the stuttering and "lag" that are seen on those devices.

Basically, they need more RAM because they cause more RAM overhead by misusing RAM.
    10-24-2018 08:05 AM
    Do you guys get annoyed because of the 4gb available ram and no expandable storage?
    10-25-2018 01:38 PM
    I hear what everyone is saying about apps refreshing but for my purposes I never even gave it a thought until the "is 4GB enough RAM conversation" began. I mean it's nice and all to have quick opening apps but is that vital? I'm just not seeing it. Now the "I'm a power user crowd" will say that they need it for productivity and that's OK but I don't think that's where Google is aiming. I also realize that part of it is that many feel for the price why can't Google up their game. Ultimately when we are spending this kind of money we have to be careful with our choices and compromises. I know for my usage there is no perfect phone but for me Google comes close.
    I've never understood this either. I mean is your life really robbed of you have to wait 1 service for an app to load?
    10-25-2018 03:02 PM
    Has Google even acknowledged this issue yet with the RAM being too aggressive? Or is this just how things are going to be with 4GB RAM?
    10-25-2018 03:10 PM
    Has Google even acknowledged this issue yet with the RAM being too aggressive? Or is this just how things are going to be with 4GB RAM?
    They are aware
    onthecouchagain likes this.
    10-25-2018 04:05 PM
    Ideally you want that 3.1 to be as close to 3.33, or 90%, as possible. That said, all three of my Pixel 3 devices have also only been hovering around a 3.1 average, including one doing so all summer long.

One of the main tenants of Android resource management is that we want as much RAM in use as possible. 3.1 is only about 82%.

One of the main problems with some of the OEMs doing 6 GB + RAM is that they are trying to force a Windows style mentality upon Android resource management, which a) requires more RAM and b) is the main cause of the stuttering and "lag" that are seen on those devices.

Basically, they need more RAM because they cause more RAM overhead by misusing RAM.
    So should they go back to 1GB RAM and have the phone run at 100% utilization all the time?

I've seen this statement repeated so many times before, even with the 1GB RAM Galaxy S3 Exynos which became a pig on Jellybean as it never kept anything in memory and simply got annoying to use. The USA got the 2GB Snapdragon so those users never experienced that issue, but this Pixel memory issue reminds me of what my Galaxy S3 Exynos was like. Same issue when I got iOS11 on the older Apple iPad 4, it could barely keep 3 windows in Safari going in the background.
    10-25-2018 06:21 PM
    So should they go back to 1GB RAM and have the phone run at 100% utilization all the time?

I've seen this statement repeated so many times before, even with the 1GB RAM Galaxy S3 Exynos which became a pig on Jellybean as it never kept anything in memory and simply got annoying to use. The USA got the 2GB Snapdragon so those users never experienced that issue, but this Pixel memory issue reminds me of what my Galaxy S3 Exynos was like. Same issue when I got iOS11 on the older Apple iPad 4, it could barely keep 3 windows in Safari going in the background.
    Now it's a question of optimization. You want sufficient RAM to be able to do anything that you need to be able to do, but also no more than that. Given how low resource most tasks in this operating system hard having 8 gigs is overhead is more problematic than only having 4 if you're only using 3.7 GB. But that is only if you're using it the way that it's intended to be. if you are hard stringing your RAM to behave the same way that it would it windows, then you do need more.
    10-25-2018 06:24 PM
    You want sufficient RAM to be able to do anything that you need to be able to do, ...
    Define that. I need/want to my 6 or 8 (or more?!) most recently used apps available without reloading from storage. It appears 4GB is not sufficient to do this on Pixel skinned devices.

Given how low resource most tasks in this operating system hard having 8 gigs is overhead is more problematic than only having 4 if you're only using 3.7 GB.
    If you have 8GB of RAM why would they limit usage to 3.7GB? Why do you assume or impose that limitation?

But that is only if you're using it the way that it's intended to be.
    Intended by whom? God?
    10-26-2018 02:05 PM
    Define that. I need/want to my 6 or 8 (or more?!) most recently used apps available without reloading from storage. It appears 4GB is not sufficient to do this on Pixel skinned devices.

If you have 8GB of RAM why would they limit usage to 3.7GB? Why do you assume or impose that limitation?

Intended by whom? God?
    Intended by the the designers of the operating system.
    10-26-2018 02:07 PM
157 ... 34567