Do the Pixels have a memory management issue? And if so, can't it just be fixed via update?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Can you clarify? How would adding hardware fix a software issue and how does the ability or inability to add hardware mean that Google won't attempt to fix the software issue with a software update?

The problem for music apps crashing already has a work around. Simply adding them to the whitelist for adaptive battery remedies the issue after a restart. This leads me to believe that it's a software problem and might even been related to adaptive battery. I wonder if whitelisting other apps will keep them in memory longer. I checked after adding those apps to the whitelist and it seems to keep more apps in memory without reloading. I'm going to try disabling adaptive battery to see if that also helps.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Can you clarify? How would adding hardware fix a software issue and how does the ability or inability to add hardware mean that Google won't attempt to fix the software issue with a software update?

Disabling adaptive battery also prevents the music apps from forcing closed while using the camera but of course battery life may be impacted. The strange thing about adaptive battery it's supposed to learn which apps you use infrequently but I checked the Pixel 2XL and it didn't add any frequently used apps to to the white list or at least I don't see any difference between the 2 and 3 unless they got copied over Looks like all or mostly system apps

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I gave that idea to another user in different thread to disable the adaptive battery was curious how it worked out haven't heard back on the results.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Those of you experiencing this problem, are you considered "power users"? I am not. I use my phone for a camera, Reddit, FB, a few games here and there and typical phone functionalities. I don't do split screens running two apps at once and rarely do I even use YT's small video/floating video feature while looking at something else.

Is this problem apparent even w/ that kind of usage?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Those of you experiencing this problem, are you considered "power users"? I am not. I use my phone for a camera, Reddit, FB, a few games here and there and typical phone functionalities. I don't do split screens running two apps at once and rarely do I even use YT's small video/floating video feature while looking at something else.

Is this problem apparent even w/ that kind of usage?

If you like to listen to music while taking photos it could shut down the music app. Other than that if you don't like waiting for some recently opened apps to refresh or reload it shouldn't be an issue. I don't mind waiting a second or two for something to reload as I'm not that power hungry.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
If you like to listen to music while taking photos it could shut down the music app. Other than that if you don't like waiting for some recently opened apps to refresh or reload it shouldn't be an issue. I don't mind waiting a second or two for something to reload as I'm not that power hungry.

Has anyone checked whether or not the music apps in questions are targeting API Level 28?

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the heads up, Mike. Doesn't sound like this will be a huge deal to me. I can wait a couple seconds vs .3 seconds. I'm not that crazed about it.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

I’m curious to know the % ppl listening to music and taking photos

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
seems like a lot of the major sites are talking about the memory management issues. I am sure Google will come up with a fix for it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I’m curious to know the % ppl listening to music and taking photos

I don't recall ever doing that prior to testing for the bug however it could happen. I do enjoy the sound more on the Pixel 3 series than the 2 so I play music from the phone when sitting around the house alone but rare that I need to take pictures and it only crashes the music in certain modes. I'm sure we will see a fix soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36