is Total Mobile Protection worth it?

Bond111

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
You should ask yourself, do I have enough money to replace a 1k phone if I lose it, or completely demolish the phone, and it's not dipping into your emergency funds too badly? I've never broke a phone, and have had it on all of my phone's other than my OG Pixel XL(order thru Google, tried to add their insurance after & couldn't) but I've also never lost or broke a phone. I like the piece of mind insurance gives me, even though I'm very careful with my phone/possessions.

robinhelenehebert

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
You should ask yourself, do I have enough money to replace a 1k phone if I lose it, or completely demolish the phone, and it's not dipping into your emergency funds too badly? I've never broke a phone, and have had it on all of my phone's other than my OG Pixel XL(order thru Google, tried to add their insurance after & couldn't) but I've also never lost or broke a phone. I like the piece of mind insurance gives me, even though I'm very careful with my phone/possessions.

Yes agree just wondering if it's the best option

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I've always used total mobile protection because it covers loss and theft. Many of the others don't. I don't think I've ever replaced a phone due to damage, but I've lost a phone and had one stolen, so total mobile was definitely worth it.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I usually never get insurance but this time I added it through Fi for $7 a month.. I paid close to $900 for my non XL after tax and while I have the cash to replace it if it busted, I'd rather pay the $7 a month and the $80 replacement fee if I break it....

Maybe I end up flushing $7 a month down the drain but it's worth the piece of mind especially since I carry it naked and with no screen protector..

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Personally no, all the money I have saved over the years not paying monthly premiums will itself cover if I need to repair something if I break the phone. Most of these plans also carry a deductible on top of monthly premium or one time payment. Personally I don't see that helpful if I take into account the money I have saved not having phone insurance over the years and also I carry the phone with a case which gives protection against drops. Overall comes to individual preference but for me personally it made financial sense not to buy insurance for phones I buy.

Everyone is different and think in a different way so depends on how you see it.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Personally no, all the money I have saved over the years not paying monthly premiums will itself cover if I need to repair something if I break the phone. Most of these plans also carry a deductible on top of monthly premium or one time payment. Personally I don't see that helpful if I take into account the money I have saved not having phone insurance over the years and also I carry the phone with a case which gives protection against drops. Overall comes to individual preference but for me personally it made financial sense not to buy insurance for phones I buy.

Everyone is different and think in a different way so depends on how you see it.

I agree with this to a point but I get the new Pixel every year so for me it's $7 a month x 12 = $84 wasted $$ if I don't use it...

If I do use it then the math varies but lets assume long scenario... I break it at month 11.. I've paid $7 a month for 11 = $77 and then the $80 replacement deductible. My total out of pocket expense would be $157 to get a $900 phone replaced..

For me $7 a month is nadda and if the phone were $650 I probably would not bother. But @ almost $900, $7 a month is worth the piece of mind to me...

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The point is you are assuming a replacement, why would it need replacement? If it's within a year it's covered under manufacture warranty for most issues and if I break the glass I walk into ubreak fix official Google partner to pay out of pocket less than $200 to fix it. I don't even keep my phones more than a year so don't care about extended warranty which is useful with the insurance.

So theoretically I have already saved more than a phone or two worth of cost by not paying anything for insurance over the last 8-10 years and haven't had any scenario where I had to need repair for my phone.

Again, it's up to individual on how they feel about this in general and I agree with peace of mind and all. But for me the cost of phone repair is very insignificant to have an insurance plan. It's just my comfort level some one else may say you can apply same formula to car and home insurance, argue you can save so much money not paying those etc. First it's required by law and also I'm not comfortable paying thousands of dollars in repair if something happens. But for phone I'm perfectly fine shelling out couple of hundred dollars if it needs repair which is rare in my scenario since I don't even keep phones for that long.
I agree with this to a point but I get the new Pixel every year so for me it's $7 a month x 12 = $84 wasted $$ if I don't use it...

If I do use it then the math varies but lets assume long scenario... I break it at month 11.. I've paid $7 a month for 11 = $77 and then the $80 replacement deductible. My total out of pocket expense would be $157 to get a $900 phone replaced..

For me $7 a month is nadda and if the phone were $650 I probably would not bother. But @ almost $900, $7 a month is worth the piece of mind to me...

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
The point is you are assuming a replacement, why would it need replacement? If it's within a year it's covered under manufacture warranty for most issues and if I break the glass I walk into ubreak fix official Google partner to pay out of pocket less than $200 to fix it. I don't even keep my phones more than a year so don't care about extended warranty which is useful with the insurance.

So theoretically I have already saved more than a phone or two worth of cost by not paying anything for insurance over the last 8-10 years and haven't had any scenario where I had to need repair for my phone.

Again, it's up to individual on how they feel about this in general and I agree with peace of mind and all. But for me the cost of phone repair is very insignificant to have an insurance plan. It's just my comfort level some one else may say you can apply same formula to car and home insurance, argue you can save so much money not paying those etc. First it's required by law and also I'm not comfortable paying thousands of dollars in repair if something happens. But for phone I'm perfectly fine shelling out couple of hundred dollars if it needs repair which is rare in my scenario since I don't even keep phones for that long.

Even using your theory, insurance would still save you cash.. $200 for a screen replacement -v- $80 for the deductible plus how many months you've paid the $7 a month....

Whats the cost to replace the back glass? Probably more than the screen I'd assume.

Look I get it, it's personal preference.. I've don't usually buy insurance but I did this time mainly due to the cost of the phone. If you do not see the value or the piece of mind it offers then cool... I can't and won't argue that..

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm not arguing at all, it's individual choice as you said and I was just stating why I didn't opt for it

My theory **for me** still saves cost. I'm not just talking about paying $7 a month or whatever monthly or one time cost for this phone, it's the money I would have paid over the years for phone insurance. So my $200 out of pocket cost is small change compared to phone insurance cost I have saved not paying over the years. And it has worked out well for my use case till now since I never had to have any repair for any of my phones till now and for manufacture defects I'm under warranty since I don't keep phones more than a year. I will take the savings from not paying phone insurance over the scenario I **may break** my phone sometime in one of the years and have to pay one time repair cost.

I think we both made our points and this will be last from me, lots of valid points based on how you look at it. Good discussion
Even using your theory, insurance would still save you cash.. $200 for a screen replacement -v- $80 for the deductible plus how many months you've paid the $7 a month....

Look I get it, it's personal preference.. I've don't usually buy insurance but I did this time mainly due to the cost of the phone. If you do not see the value or the piece of mind it offers then cool... I can't and won't argue that..

Last edited:

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I'm not arguing at all, it's individual choice

Just to correct, my theory for me saves cost. I'm not just talking about paying $7 a month or whatever monthly or one time cost for this phone, it's the money you would have paid over the years for phone insurance. So my $200 out of pocket cost is small change compared to phone insurance cost I have saved not paying over the years.

I think we both made our points, lots of valid points based on how you look at it. Good discussion

This Q comes up all the time.. Some always get insurance, some never get insurance and some later wish they had gotten it...

If you know how much is it to replace the rear glass? I'm curious as to the cost of it...

The answer resides with each person. I carry mine naked and with no screen protector. The $7 a month does not phase me in the least bit..

A bit off topic but I recently purchased insurance when I bought a new soft top for my Jeep. The soft top sells for $1500.. They offered me $80 insurance for a 3-year replacement plan. Replacement is fee with no deductible and it covers everything including vandalism...Even if you leave doors unlocked, the junkies will still cut it to get in as they are not smart enough to try the door 1st. So to me the $80 was worth it as opposed to spending hundreds for replacement windows or another $1500 for a new top...

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
If you know how much is it to replace the rear glass? I'm curious as to the cost of it...

I'm guessing it'll be probably around $200 or so. For example the front screen for Pixel 2 XL costs $229 at ubreak fix. Assuming it's the same cost as front I would say it's around $200. Generally any kind of front screen replacement you are looking at around $200 - $250, back glass generally little cheaper but round it off to $200 roughly.

Last edited:

legion125

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Protection may be good for a year to 18 months, but Android phones depreciate so much that it isn't worth it after that time frame considering deductables and premiums.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
just get the lost or broken torsion, not the warranty repair portion. The phones covered for a year, if you bought it with your credit card is cover for two years

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance