Pixel Stand Photo Frame Not Showing

o0Grinder0o

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone with a pixel stand could help me troubleshoot why the photo frame isn't popping up when I dock my Pixel 3 XL? From what I can tell, I have all the options enabled and have album selected to display but when I dock only the clock for ambient display shows; what am I missing?

cf73

Oct 19, 2018
Visit site
I created a thread about the photo frame and how to activate it, but as it turns out, there is an issue. I spent 2 hours on chat and screen share with Google support, and after a reset it worked a few times, then stopped. I gave them 2 bug report dumps and am now waiting for a fix. My guess is a memory issue, or something killing the slideshow. I've seen the slideshow crash.

I really hope they fix this soon, I spent a lot of money on the phone and 2 stands.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I created a thread about the photo frame and how to activate it, but as it turns out, there is an issue. I spent 2 hours on chat and screen share with Google support, and after a reset it worked a few times, then stopped. I gave them 2 bug report dumps and am now waiting for a fix. My guess is a memory issue, or something killing the slideshow. I've seen the slideshow crash.

I really hope they fix this soon, I spent a lot of money on the phone and 2 stands.

Odd....mine is working so I wonder what's broken?

o0Grinder0o

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

Appreciate the feedback. I will check out forum to read alternate threads on similar issues but agree that I hope this gets resolved soon!

drano

Jan 16, 2018
Visit site
Make sure you have it enable (which I'm you have) but also you then have to pick an album or suggested favorites to use as the feed.

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue. The first time I put the phone on the stand it worked, but then I turned it off, and now no matter what I do, it will not work. I am really getting frustrated with this phone (Pixel 3 XL) and charger. My phone has the bouncing dock problem (https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=916759&p=6374580&viewfull=1#post6374580), and after two long phone help sessions there is no solution. It's takes all the self control I can muster to not throw this phone up against a wall. What a piece of junk.

o0Grinder0o

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Well, after literally no tweaking of settings photos have started showing up sporadically when phone is docked on stand. What is even more weird is that it is not displaying photos from the specific album I chose in the setup but rather whatever photos are in my generic Google Photos profile. I still have no idea why I cannot control when pictures are displaying with any regularity or the photos that are being displayed...

Kane317

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
when on the dock touch the screen go to setting then enable photo frame then select the album

When my phone is on the dock, there is no setting (charges fine though). I've searched on YouTube and I see people's setting option pop up immediately after sitting it on the dock.

o0Grinder0o

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
When my phone is on the dock, there is no setting (charges fine though). I've searched on YouTube and I see people's setting option pop up immediately after sitting it on the dock.

I have read/seen video that if you are not using the Pixel provided charging cable that came with stand that the pop up option will not trigger.

ambrodsky

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
It says the phone has to be locked for the photos to appear. Do you have anything setup to keep it Unlocked, like when connected to a certain Bluetooth device, etc? My guess is that's the issue. Your phone isn't actually locked if you're doing that, so it won't show. Like when my Bose earbuds are connected it doesn't lock since the earbuds are a trusted device. If they're not connected, it locks, and then it works.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Same here...I have photo frame set up and no photo slide show. In fact, it just sits there on a ambient screen with time/date/weather and three Google Assistant option at bottom...doesn't even shift that data around to prevent screen burn in or even gives me the option to have a blank screen in a lit room.

I've cleared data/cache for Pixel Stand and it still doesn't resolve it...I can't seem to get into the permissions to see if something may be off there.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
It says the phone has to be locked for the photos to appear. Do you have anything setup to keep it Unlocked, like when connected to a certain Bluetooth device, etc? My guess is that's the issue. Your phone isn't actually locked if you're doing that, so it won't show. Like when my Bose earbuds are connected it doesn't lock since the earbuds are a trusted device. If they're not connected, it locks, and then it works.

This is a very good theory. I turned off Smart Lock on my Smartwatch, locked phone and put it on stand. Still nothing...no slideshow.

Kane317

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I have read/seen video that if you are not using the Pixel provided charging cable that came with stand that the pop up option will not trigger.

I'll test that. I AM using a third party cable. I'll test that theory and update the post.

Nope. It's on locked, but good theory.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Ok that has me a little paranoid....does this mean you have to disable AD before charging it?

Well, I think a handful of us seem to be having problems with both the photo frame not working and the ambient screen not moving places while docked. All this seems to be right now for me is an always on screen dock and nothing else. I've stumped Google Support.

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
This is really half-baked software. The slideshow starts at random times and stops at random times. Would it be asking too much for Google to give a detailed explanation of how exactly this thing is supposed to work?

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
This is what my Pixel 3 XL does when on the stand...
WIN_20181024_09_34_09_Pro.jpg

The ambient info doesn't move around nor does the slideshow begin. No matter what I do...there isn't even an option to turn this off unless the screen is dark.