Pixel Stand Photo Frame Not Showing

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
This is what my Pixel 3 XL does when on the stand...
View attachment 292833

The ambient info doesn't move around nor does the slideshow begin. No matter what I do...there isn't even an option to turn this off unless the screen is dark.

Wow that’s disappointing, for a product they showcased and are charging top $ for you’d think it would work for its basic publicized functions. I will get one part of my preorder for free but guess won’t use until the issue resolved

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Wow that’s disappointing, for a product they showcased and are charging top $ for you’d think it would work for its basic publicized functions. I will get one part of my preorder for free but guess won’t use until the issue resolved

I am giving it the benefit of the doubt that perhaps it is user error but I've tried everything...it just sits there with an always on screen on and doesn't do anything...heck, if a new notification comes in, it doesn't even show it on this screen. It just continues to show that same screen.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I am giving it the benefit of the doubt that perhaps it is user error but I've tried everything...it just sits there with an always on screen on and doesn't do anything...heck, if a new notification comes in, it doesn't even show it on this screen. It just continues to show that same screen.

I'm in the same boat, can't get it to work. Apparently my phone has the Google Stand app downloaded as well, but I can't get it to open, just shows it is there somewhere.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE:

I spent another hour on the phone with Google Support. Still nothing working. They don't have a clue...they seem to think that beyond the slideshow not working, the stand its doing what it is primarily designed to do: Charge The Phone. They said they would escalate the other issues...

Which kind of brings me to the question - Do I even need this stand? I like having the "official" wireless charger and prefer to charge wirelessly to prevent wear and tear on the USB-C port. But I doubt I'll use the ambient features much and there is no option to turn them off. Just as a principal, I do want those features to work and because they don't, it makes this an expensive charging stand.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE:

I spent another hour on the phone with Google Support. Still nothing working. They don't have a clue...they seem to think that beyond the slideshow not working, the stand its doing what it is primarily designed to do: Charge The Phone. They said they would escalate the other issues...

Which kind of brings me to the question - Do I even need this stand? I like having the "official" wireless charger and prefer to charge wirelessly to prevent wear and tear on the USB-C port. But I doubt I'll use the ambient features much and there is no option to turn them off. Just as a principal, I do want those features to work and because they don't, it makes this an expensive charging stand.

I’m getting one for free via preorder. Would I pay $120 (cdn) for it? No way, that’s why I preordered it to consider I was getting a high quality wireless charger. But I plan to disable those bonus features and just use it as a wireless stand as you put it.

If you expected to use those features and aren’t satisfied, return it and maybe buy again later when it’s fixed?

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE:

I’m getting one for free via preorder. Would I pay $120 (cdn) for it? No way, that’s why I preordered it to consider I was getting a high quality wireless charger. But I plan to disable those bonus features and just use it as a wireless stand as you put it.

If you expected to use those features and aren’t satisfied, return it and maybe buy again later when it’s fixed?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It's working perfectly fine for many of us. The way you are phrasing it feels like that it's not working for anyone. Have no issues with photos displaying on my pixel stand, but that doesn't mean others have no issues. People who don't have issues aren't going to make posts that theirs is working perfectly.

Last edited:

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Do you have best buy or Verizon store close by? May be drop by there and try with your phone to see if it works on those chargers to eliminate if it's an issue with your particular stand and if that's the case then exchange it. Not sure what else to say, for what it's worth it's working fine for me and photos display everytime I put the phone on the stand.

Personally if the photo frame isn't working, I definitely not going to keep this especially paying so much. If you can't get it working just return it and pick up another cheaper wireless charger.

UPDATE:

Last edited:

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
It's working perfectly fine for many of us. The way you are phrasing it feels like that it's not working for anyone. Have no issues with photos displaying on my pixel stand, but that doesn't mean others have issues. People who don't have issues aren't going to make posts that theirs is working perfectly.

Hey man I am so pumped to get my pixel 3, just all the negativity around all the problems being raised such as video recording audio, ram management and some other minor things are getting me a little worried I guess. I’m actually very happy to know many of you aren’t experiencing this specific issue, knowing that it might be good for him to swap for new stand.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE - A factory reset resolved this problem and I suspected, it was a Google Assistant problem. There was a screen that popped up this time during setup of the STAND that I didn't get the first time.

pixel_dock_assistant_01.png

It was basically a screen that acknowledged Google Assistant would work with it...never got that the first time and no matter of resetting app data fixed it. The Factory Reset did the trick.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Out of curiosity did you setup the phone from a previous device or new?

Set up as a new device. I never got that screen for the Google Assistant.

I think Google Assistant was messed up because I had issues setting up my Google Home Hub as well.

Darkstang5887

Oct 26, 2018
Visit site
You need to use the cable and charging brick that came with the stand to get photo frame. Even using the cable and brick from the 3xl, it wont work. I have verified this.

Set up as a new device. I never got that screen for the Google Assistant.

I think Google Assistant was messed up because I had issues setting up my Google Home Hub as well.

Kane317

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I'll test that. I AM using a third party cable. I'll test that theory and update the post.

That was it. It works now. Had an OEM wall charger but the cable with third party. Switched it out with the charger in the Pixel Stand box and the options show up now. 👍

ThaiBruin

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I just got my Pixel Stand today (got the phone yesterday). The photo frame feature seems to ONLY work after a fresh restart of the phone. I'm going to guess this has a lot to do with the RAM management issue. It's pretty annoying because when it works, I LOVE it. IT's amazing to see such high quality photos on my work desk.... but it's NOT so amazing to see static images that will likely cause burn-in.... :(

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Works every time for me, no need to restart or anything like that. Been using from launch day and never had to restart to get it working. As few others have stated make sure you are using the cable and power brick that came with the charger since that was the issue for some of them. If that's not the case not sure what's wrong with yours.
I just got my Pixel Stand today (got the phone yesterday). The photo frame feature seems to ONLY work after a fresh restart of the phone. I'm going to guess this has a lot to do with the RAM management issue. It's pretty annoying because when it works, I LOVE it. IT's amazing to see such high quality photos on my work desk.... but it's NOT so amazing to see static images that will likely cause burn-in.... :(

ThaiBruin

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Works every time for me, no need to restart or anything like that. Been using from launch day and never had to restart to get it working. As few others have stated make sure you are using the cable and power brick that came with the charger since that was the issue for some of them. If that's not the case not sure what's wrong with yours.

I'm definitely using the charger and cord that came in the box. I picked it up at my local verizon store during lunch and plugged in everything that came with it. I really do think it's a memory management issue as I have over 100 apps installed. And I'm sure one too many of them may be running processes in the background taking up precious RAM.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have close to 150 apps and works fine

Not saying you don't have the issue but it's definitely not happening to everyone. For example I had issue with camera where some stuff like playground, photosphere etc were not working and it was a hardware issue with pixel visual core but it was working fine for majority. I had to exchange to resolve that issue.

So it's definitely not because of some RAM management since I use pixel stand at work everyday all time and never once had an issue displaying pictures on my original 3 XL as well as the replacement device.

I'm definitely using the charger and cord that came in the box. I picked it up at my local verizon store during lunch and plugged in everything that came with it. I really do think it's a memory management issue as I have over 100 apps installed. And I'm sure one too many of them may be running processes in the background taking up precious RAM.
2bb074a2e54bf02ed20e3250b2e2200d.jpg

ThaiBruin

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I have close to 150 apps and works fine

Not saying you don't have the issue but it's definitely not happening to everyone. For example I had issue with camera where some stuff like playground, photosphere etc were not working and it was a hardware issue with pixel visual core but it was working fine for majority. I had to exchange to resolve that issue.

So it's definitely not because of some RAM management since I use pixel stand at work everyday all time and never had an issue displaying pictures.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181101/2bb074a2e54bf02ed20e3250b2e2200d.jpg

Well, if it's not a RAM issue, and it's not a physical hardware issue (again, I'm using what came in the pixel stand box) it's pretty infuriating why this is happening. I definitely do no want to factory reset it if I don't have to. However, it looks like that may be my only option short of returning the stand and trying a different one.

Last edited:

bpdamas

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE - A factory reset resolved this problem and I suspected, it was a Google Assistant problem. There was a screen that popped up this time during setup of the STAND that I didn't get the first time.

View attachment 292906

It was basically a screen that acknowledged Google Assistant would work with it...never got that the first time and no matter of resetting app data fixed it. The Factory Reset did the trick.

I so wish this worked for me. Everything I try doesn't get the photo frame to work. I even went through troubleshooting with Google and got nowhere so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome