Pixel to pixel data transfer - or fresh start?

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey, All,

Usually whenever I get a new phone, inset up from scratch as opposed to restoring a backup since it tends to be 'cleaner.'

With the Pixel to pixel method from my old pixel 2 xl to my Pixel 3XL, is there any DISadvantage to using this data transfer method?

Thanks!

locutor

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Shouldn't be a problem. I just did the data transfer from my original Pixel (2016) and it went fine. A few apps that no longer exist disappeared. The phone will update those that need it. Saves a ton of time over manual setup.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
No, Pixels have never had a problem restoring from the old one to a new one. (Or from any old phone, for that matter.)

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Not a Pixel 3 owner but...

I've also preferred to start from scratch and install everything manually to get as clean a setup as possible. With my current Pixel 2, I used the data transfer tool to migrate from my Nexus 6P and I was really impressed by how smoothly everything went. I've had to RMA my phone so I've actually done it twice. My girlfriend did the same thing. Her mom did the same but went from a Moto X 2014 to a P2. None of us have had any performance or battery life issues at all.

Try it and if you don't like it you can always spend hours (or days!) going through a manual setup.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I did not use the transfer. I take the opportunity to declutter. It is amazing the number of apps I let accumulated over time. More amazing is I am reluctant to go through and delete, but very happy to say, ahhh I will download that if it when I need it.

It has taken me a couple days to get all my seeings back, so maybe it is something I should consider.

Last edited:

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I always start fresh with a new phone and after every major update I do a factory reset.. I don't ever have major issues so I'll keep following this process..

MFox

Nov 23, 2018
Visit site
Im transferring from Pixel 1 to Pixel 3 using this copy feature. you do get an option to select which apps to copy over. I think this is a great idea, saves me from ensure data with apps comes across and copies the settings. Copying over 15m. Some apps need to resetup again but I am happy with this

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
The backup and restore works well, so if you are happy with your set up it makes sense to go for it. If you are like some of us who have stuff sitting there, this can be a good time to de-clutter.

If you are using a different launcher, you may want to back that up and restore it as well.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Historically have preferred a fresh start, but with my OG pixel, I restored and had zero issues. I've also had to FDR Pixel a couple times, and haven't had problems. When my gp3 arrives, I'll be restoring again.

Dean Liensdorf

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
If you're happy with your old phones setup and all the apps on it then the auto transfer is the way to go imo. When I see my pixel 2 from iPhone the auto setup even transferred pics and text messages, which to me was handy cause I didn't want to lose any of that. But if you feel you don't want all of the apps and other stuff then do it manually.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I always start fresh with a new phone and after every major update I do a factory reset.. I don't ever have major issues so I'll keep following this process..

I don't usually run any 3rd party apps on my phones, and pretty much leave all the settings stock except for wallpaper. I do that so it's super easy to do a factory reset if any problems come up. I've watched too many folks suffer along with a phone with problems because they didn't want the hassle of a reset. I've also found that running little to no 3rd party apps has helped me avoid most problems other folks seem to develop after security or os updates.

But that's just me though ;-)

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
No third party apps? That sounds rather limiting. I know that a lot of Google apps are really good, but there is just a LOT of stuff that they don't even try.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
No third party apps? That sounds rather limiting. I know that a lot of Google apps are really good, but there is just a LOT of stuff that they don't even try.

I know it sounds like I'm kinda defeating the whole customizable philosophy of Android lol, but for the most part I've honestly never needed any third party apps for anything. I have used the Fitbit app in the past....but that's about it. My phone does everything else I need it to without having to add anything extra to it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I know it sounds like I'm kinda defeating the whole customizable philosophy of Android lol, but for the most part I've honestly never needed any third party apps for anything. I have used the Fitbit app in the past....but that's about it. My phone does everything else I need it to without having to add anything extra to it.

I don't see it as defeating customization by not utilizing 3rd party apps except maybe launchers, widgets, wallpapers and themes. If it does what you need you're good to go.

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
I use the transfer tool to set up the new phones, can't remember the last time I did a clean install. I pretty much do the same thing with my computers. Set up Windows 10 on desktop, then installed images of that drive on laptop and Surface Pro. Can't remember the last time I did clean OS install on my computers, I'm lazy.

I am a very light phone and computer user, so I have nothing extra on either. I am now using the Pixel 3 that arrived yesterday, the Pixel 2 I used for the last year is standing by should I need it.

danthman

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm typically a "start from scratch" guy, but this time, I made a snap decision to just give the auto transfer a try. I figured I could always do a factory reset later if I regretted my decision. So far, I have been entirely happy with my decision.

Everything transferred over from my Pixel 1 beautifully, including most (though not all) phone and app preferences. The one thing I had to tediously do by hand was re-log in to all my accounts, but it would probably be a security issue if I didn't have to do this.

In terms of performance, the phone seems very responsive and snappy, not that my Pixel 1 was terrible. Battery life so far seems to be about what I was expecting (significantly better than my Pixel 1 with a new battery). I've also noticed very few glitches so far. The only thing of any consequence was that "OK Google"/"Hey Google" suddenly stopped working. I'm not sure what happened, but I was able to solve it by retraining the voice model.

Last edited: