Pixel 3 users who switched from iPhone X

vhl71

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Anyone who switched from iPhone X’s? Here in Canada we have to wait for another 2 weeks beige getting to see the pixel 3. Can’t even see a demo unit so far where I live.

What are your thoughts so far? Are you liking it? Anything you miss on this compared to iPhone?
Any comments from iPhone users would be appreciated

alodar101

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: Pixel 3 users who switched for iPhone X

I switched from an iPhone Xs Max...well switched is wrong. I bought the Pixel3xl and still have the MAX. Why? First and foremost, I'm a geek...I get new stuff. The iPhone Max is fast...really fast..exverything is smooth. Screen is beautiful..and the hardware is too. Apple focused on software this time around...and ...well...its really smooth. The camera is great. I had the pixel2xl...IMO...no comparision. The Max beats the 2xl.

So, why the 3xl?

There's something about the software...that does what I'm interested in. We all pay for things on these new phones, we'll never touch. I mean, Facetime with 32 people. Yep...sign me up..not. But the flow of the software is just so attractive.

The overwhelming thing for me is fitness. The apple watch 4 is hte kicker here though. Nothing Wear OS has can compare and sync with the devices. Without that companion device, the 3xl doesn't stand a chance. A friend told me about some fitbit watches that she loves. So I have one coming from amazon tomorrow. With a decent companion watch, I think the 3xl...might have chance.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site

The gestures on the iPhone Xs Max are more fluid than on the Pixel 3. Also, the iPhone Xs Max's build quality feels better/more premium than the Pixel 3's build. I also prefer the sound from the speakers on the iPhone than the Pixel. And FaceID is better than the fingerprint sensor on the Pixel. The videos taken on the iPhone sound better than the videos taken with the Pixel and the iPhone has 4K @ 60fps.

The only two things the Pixel does better than the iPhone are the better price point and the better camera for photos.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

The gestures on the iPhone Xs Max are more fluid than on the Pixel 3. Also, the iPhone Xs Max's build quality feels better/more premium than the Pixel 3's build. I also prefer the sound from the speakers on the iPhone than the Pixel. And FaceID is better than the fingerprint sensor on the Pixel. The videos taken on the iPhone sound better than the videos taken with the Pixel and the iPhone has 4K @ 60fps.

The only two things the Pixel does better than the iPhone are the better price point and the better camera for photos.

There's one more advantage the Pixel has. The Pixel runs Android! :cool:

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

For me, I’ve tested Face ID and not a fan...curious of why you consider it faster since you have to look at it and swipe up. Every review id watched says finger print is still better than Face ID. Lack of finger unlock on iPhone has me moving to android...for now.

TC, I’m gonna be moving from an iPhone 7+ and also in Canada waiting eagerly for my preorder pixel 3 64gb black to be shipped. So pumped.

Also curious to know if others leaving iOS are missing a whole lot

Mulligan7

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site

I didn't actually switch from an iPhone X, but purchased a Pixel 3 in addition to it as I have to keep an IOS and Android phone for work (long story).

In my opinion, the Pixel 3 competes in all areas with the iPhone X. I believe it comes down to whether or not you prefer Android or iOS operating systems.

For my personal use, I'd be perfectly happy with the Pixel 3 as my full time device with the exception of not being able to use iMessage. My family regularly texts me photos and the loss of quality between iOS devices and Android devices is intolerable for me. Wish Android would come up with an alternative that is cross platform.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site

For me, I’ve tested Face ID and not a fan...curious of why you consider it faster since you have to look at it and swipe up. Every review id watched says finger print is still better than Face ID. Lack of finger unlock on iPhone has me moving to android...for now.

TC, I’m gonna be moving from an iPhone 7+ and also in Canada waiting eagerly for my preorder pixel 3 64gb black to be shipped. So pumped.

Also curious to know if others leaving iOS are missing a whole lot

Did you own an iPhone X/XS Max? Because that's the only way you can test FaceID. It's not available on demo units. FaceID on this year's iPhones is much faster than FaceID on last year's iPhone X and it's more secure.

Mulligan7

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site

Did you own an iPhone X/XS Max? Because that's the only way you can test FaceID. It's not available on demo units. FaceID on this year's iPhones is much faster than FaceID on last year's iPhone X and it's more secure.

FACE ID works fine on the X/XS phones. I've had both and didn't notice a speed difference on the XS over the X. I did notice a slight speed improvement when I upgraded the X to iOS 12.0. My guess is the speed improvement was in the software and not as noticeable in the hardware upgrade.

My preference for screen unlocking after using them all is as follows:
Rear thumbprint
FaceID
Front thumbprint

Any of these are quite capable though and I believe it's just a matter of personal preference.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

No my friends have a X and used it on their multiple times (programmed by face and tested). Even if it unlockes faster it still requires to look at it and swipe, no I don’t own the device and just like anything else I’m sure people get used to it

JoePa2624

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site

I currently have a Pixel 3 XL and the Xs Max. I believe that all tech is about compromises and finding the devices that makes the least amount of compromises, or where the compromises are less important to you.

This year the Pixel 3 is a let down for me because the compromises are deal breakers for me personally. The speakers are awful and sound grainy, I can't stand the new Pixel gesture navigation, and battery life looks to be really disappointing. These tend to be important to me.

The trade offs with the Xs Max are less important to me. The price is outrageous, it's much heavier than I expected, and iOS has gotten really boring. However, the Max's screen is beautiful, speakers are amazing, it is lightning fast, and iOS is a more fluid experience.

I prefer Android over iOS and like a lot of things about Pixel 3 this year. Haptics are awesome, I like their implementation wireless charging, and the software add ons are great. But I will probably be returning the Pixel this week.

The features that are important to you are probably different than mine so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

I use an XS Max and the Pixel 3 XL. I think they are both great phones this year, you can't go wrong either way.

alodar101

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site

I agree... FACE ID, until you own it and use it..is not to be believed. Its great. I know people who do not want to log in with their face. Fine. Just say that. I think FACE ID and fingerprint would be overkill...but...the speed of FAce ID, is all lighting...can't be understood without owning one. Oh Wait!! The notch!! Face ID interferes with the notch!!

:)

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

I have an iPhone X and Pixel 3 XL and like some others they both have there pluses and minuses. Unfortunately I have sent Pixel 3XL back as for the price I don't think it is worth the money IMO. The audio sound when recording videos and the memory management issues leave much to be desired. You have cheaper midrange devices with more features and bang for the buck. QC should have picked up the video recording mic issue or at least someone using it a Google HQ should of went why is the noise cancelation and speech focus so high that it sounds like tiny can voices are talking.

The ram management is a software and hardware problem. Software in that it is too aggressive conserving ram dumping programs and hardware in that the base amount should have been 6GB of ram so that the ram management wouldn't be so aggressive in the first place. The notch shouldn't have been as big in size for what they have tech wise in it. The imbalance in speaker sound is also a miss for having front facing speakers. They could've just put one on the bottom if they were going to be imbalanced in sound. Doing that they could have made the phone smaller in bezel and general size.

I'm going midrange here on out with android as the high end IMO is not the end all it seems.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

The ram management is a software and hardware problem. Software in that it is too aggressive conserving ram dumping programs and hardware in that the base amount should have been 6GB of ram so that the ram management wouldn't be so aggressive in the first place.

You could have 12 GB of RAM but if the thing that controls it is super aggressive and programmed wrong it could not matter since it would be aggressive on closing it. A bad RAM controller isn't solved by just throwing more RAM at it lol. It is fixing the controller.

The iPhone is literally the example of this. Your iPhone X has 3 GB of RAM and my iPhone XS Max has 4 GB without any hiccups what-so-ever. Why? Better management. Hell even the Pixel 2 phones aren't seeing this -- why ? -- better RAM management. I don't see the pitchforks raised about "The P2 should be 6 GB!" -- we are only saying this because the P3 is the "new" one and people seem to think more RAM = always fix. Sure in some cases more RAM is a good thing but it isn't the SOLE factor on how a phone functions. Hence these other 4 GB phones doing just fine.

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

Let me explain why IMO Google should have went with more instead of trying to rope this calf with some silly string. Apple gets away with it because they are the sole developer and producer of what they sell. Their phones don't do what most android phones are able to do until years later most times. Example of this is the background processes they run are less than android and they don't really multitask. They just give the illusion of it but suspends most apps in background. The customized A series chip and the NVE storage they have give them a huge edge over android in being able to use less resources than android phones.

The Pixel 2 4GB of ram is great for what it does, how it is used, and the features it has. The Pixel 3 though is doing way more than the P2. The more features and beefier hardware probably called for more ram in the P3 IMO. The Visual core is being more greatly used, more on device machine and neural engine use, more AI and camera features. I'll admit the ram controller might be the issue but I think that keeping the same ram amount as the P2 was not the best idea with what they are trying to do with the P3.

And like you said my iPx has 3 GB and your iPxs max comes with 4GB ram. Kinda telling when even apple had to bump the resources up for all the features the phone has to run. The more features and tech you pack in the more you have to add resource wise to get the same experience. It doesn't go up symmetrically but you do have to account for user experience.

Ram controller issue....we will see and I hope for the best. I scratch my head though and ask did any normal user in Google HQ even use the Pixel 3 series other than your software design and hardware engineers when it was deemed finished and ready for mass production.

Google touts the camera/features of camera and no one shot a video. No one shot a video squinted their eyes and said "Why does the audio sound like that?". Google comes out and says it focuses on speech and suppose it is suppose to sound like that. Unbelievable at best and makes me ask what or the other companies doing then since they don't sound like that. Ram controller being super aggressive...IMO Google set it that way. Thats not the kinda over site thats just missed in QC/QA software wise a lot. Hardware problem with a controller yeah, software wise it's something you set the parameters for.

I'm going to wait and see down the line what happens and if it is software i'll see the fix issued with an update. Until then it's not a phone thats high on my list anymore no matter the camera and features. I'm not a google hater or apple hater I just like to hold them both to the fire on occasion.
IMO though just for me...I think they tried to shoehorn this stuff in and skimped on the ram needed to provide a good user experience. If it's a ram controller issue then I think they need a better testing team of users to put these devices through their paces before release.