Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 5.56%
  • No, but I used to all the time

12 66.67%
  • No, I never rooted a phone

5 27.78%
    I was responding in another thread and it made me wonder, do you still root your phone.

Personally, I have stopped. I moved from Blackberry to Android with the launch of the Galaxy Nexus, which I rooted, and then the Note 4 (rooted). I did not mess with my Droid Maxx because it was too difficult.

When I got my OG Pixel XL, I realized most of what I rooted for was already done -- and the fun of rooting was gone for me. It seemed like it would be more of a chore for very little gain. Sitting here with my 3XL, I am in the same place. I simply don't feel like putting the effort in, I don't want to keep flashing new builds. I don't feel like I can get a huge performance or battery boost. There is no skin or bloatware I need to delete.

How many others that would root immediately have given up the practice? Why?
    Do you still root? Why?
    10-26-2018 02:48 PM
    When I got my OG Pixel XL, I realized most of what I rooted for was already done -- and the fun of rooting was gone for me.
    Since I regularly use Linux, I just don't feel comfortable using a Linux computer with sudo missing. But su will do. But I run the Magisk mcs module (among others) , so I need Magisk, which means that the phone is rooted. (Pixel 2 now.)

It seemed like it would be more of a chore for very little gain. Sitting here with my 3XL, I am in the same place. I simply don't feel like putting the effort in, I don't want to keep flashing new builds. I don't feel like I can get a huge performance or battery boost. There is no skin or bloatware I need to delete.
    Magisk is trivial to install. Flashing an update? I flash the factory image every month - it's faster than the update. (Take the -w out of the last fastboot line and you don't lose anything.)

I'm glad that John came out with Magisk - now maybe we can all root (as long as the phone has an unlockable bootloader) with the same method - no more fracturing of rooting methods.
    MooMooPrincess and Miche612 like this.
    10-26-2018 03:29 PM
    Since I regularly use Linux, I just don't feel comfortable using a Linux computer with sudo missing. But su will do. But I run the Magisk mcs module (among others) , so I need Magisk, which means that the phone is rooted. (Pixel 2 now.)

Magisk is trivial to install. Flashing an update? I flash the factory image every month - it's faster than the update. (Take the -w out of the last fastboot line and you don't lose anything.)

I'm glad that John came out with Magisk - now maybe we can all root (as long as the phone has an unlockable bootloader) with the same method - no more fracturing of rooting methods.
    I root every time too (3XL--> 2XL --> HTC 10 --> Note 5 --> HTC M9 --> HTC M8). Magisk is easy once you do it a couple times and like you said OS updates are a piece of cake. I have a few modules I like as well as Adaway. If Google finally comes up with a way to detect root and take away Android Pay then I'll have a dilemma!
    Miche612 likes this.
    10-26-2018 03:56 PM
    It's seems like rooting it's 2014 topic. I am guessing some people need it for some reason but my days rooting and custom recovery in the past especially how far android 9.0 is developed
    10-26-2018 09:42 PM
    I have not for a few years, it's not worth it anymore in my opinion.
    10-26-2018 10:49 PM
    Few years back yes, not rooted from a long time and perfectly happy with what I have. I don't see much use of root for me personally as of today.
    10-27-2018 01:47 AM
    Nope. I used to way back in the day but now-a-days I don't really see a big benefit at all.
    10-27-2018 01:51 AM
    There is no longer a reason for me to root.
    10-27-2018 02:44 AM
    I haven't rooted since 2015, since there aren't any benefits to rooting for me at this point.
    10-27-2018 02:46 AM
    Ever since I started using Nexus phones, I had stopped rooting. I believe the last phone I rooted was the HTC Evo. Love that phone with the built-in kickstand and the black and red color.

And then I changed to the nexus s that's when I stopped rooting.
    10-27-2018 06:16 AM
    agreed. why need to root the pixel? other phone might be yes, but strongly no for pixel.
    10-27-2018 06:51 AM
    There was a time, long, long, ago, when the only way to take screenshots was to install an app that required root permissions to operate.

I haven't rooted since Screenshot capability was added to the OS many years ago.
    10-27-2018 07:17 AM
    I haven't rooted since the Note 4.
    10-27-2018 11:47 AM
    I've root back in the days , now I just swap Carrier firmware on Samsung to unlock firmware. might root my Nexus 5x to pie but still haven't decided.
    10-27-2018 12:17 PM
    I do not Root phones and wonder what's the purpose of doing it nowadays
    10-27-2018 01:07 PM
    I do not Root phones and wkinder what's the purpose of doing it nowadays
    I actually been thinking about rooting my old Nexus 7 2013 since Google stopped updating it. It's still a good tablet. Been thinking about putting lineage on it, but got lazy.
    10-27-2018 01:42 PM
    If Google finally comes up with a way to detect root and take away Android Pay then I'll have a dilemma!
    Or John will figure out a way of hiding itself from Android Pay.

I do not Root phones and wkinder what's the purpose of doing it nowadays
    Aside from not feeling like being in a cage that's too small, running Linux without root access? Some apps won't run without it. And some of us need some of those apps.

agreed. why need to root the pixel? other phone might be yes, but strongly no for pixel.
    For the same reason as rooting any other phone. I can't run mcs without root. I can't run a few hibernation apps without root. I like Quick Reboot (to save the power switch) and it needs root. Etc., etc.
    10-27-2018 02:36 PM
    Or John will figure out a way of hiding itself from Android Pay.

Aside from not feeling like being in a cage that's too small, running Linux without root access? Some apps won't run without it. And some of us need some of those apps.

For the same reason as rooting any other phone. I can't run mcs without root. I can't run a few hibernation apps without root. I like Quick Reboot (to save the power switch) and it needs root. Etc., etc.
    Dude I need to learn to reply to 3 different people , is it possible through the app?
    10-27-2018 02:42 PM
    I never had a good reason so I stopped years ago...Did JB every iphone I ever had, but the reasons were to get get it to be more like an Android.
    SteelGator likes this.
    10-27-2018 05:12 PM
    I used to root my daily driver once it stopped receiving updates. Nowadays I don't really see the need to root my phone.
    10-27-2018 11:35 PM
    I used to root, now I Groot instead
    Attached Thumbnails Do you root?-397.jpg  
    SteelGator likes this.
    10-28-2018 03:41 PM