Just a quickie - Is there an app that hides the notch on a per app basis?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I have read that there is a developer setting to hide the notch (black on either side). Is there an app that will do this based on which app you are using?

Thanks!

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have read that there is a developer setting to hide the notch (black on either side). Is there an app that will do this based on which app you are using?

Thanks!

I hate the notch and cannot imagine when I would ever want to see it. So, yes, I disabled it in Developer Settings.

But, to your question, I would be very surprised if an app doesn't turn up soon to do what you want. :)

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site

Thanks!

What sort of apps are you looking to hide it on? I have a few where it gets hidden automatically, YouTube and games mostly.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Thanks!

There is an appthat lets you hide the notch while keeping the notifications there but it's not Exclusive by app.

sjcdal

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
If there is a stand alone app, you could always use IFTTT or AutomateIt pro to invoke that setting using the app you want it as the "trigger".
Hoping that AutomateIt will just add that setting as switch option.....

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I tried to like the notch for a few days. For me the distaste for the notch won out. I too eliminated the notch with the option in Developer Settings.

I also tried the Nacho Notch app. I prefer the option in Developer Settings.

My wife felt the same way and she has also eliminated the notch with the option in Developer Settings.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
My wife felt the same way and she has also eliminated the notch with the option in Developer Settings.

Seems insane to me that Google didn't build an appropriate solution to hiding the notch. Other companies have the option to hide the notch and still keep the notifications/icons, but Google only has a sub-optimal solution that's not intended for consumer use.

If I had the 3XL, it'd annoy me that to hide the notch, it'd require the blacking out that part of the screen and essentially make it dead space.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Seems insane to me that Google didn't build an appropriate solution to hiding the notch. Other companies have the option to hide the notch and still keep the notifications/icons, but Google only has a sub-optimal solution that's not intended for consumer use.

If I had the 3XL, it'd annoy me that to hide the notch, it'd require the blacking out that part of the screen and essentially make it dead space.

I think I read somewhere that Google will come out with something. Haha, but I'm not surprised if they don't. The fact that during the pixel 3 announcement, they tried there best to ignore the notch in the presentation. All the pictures were at an angle to hid it, or they just showed a black screen. seems like they were almost ashamed of it. Haha. Reminds me in high school how I tried to hid my pimple, but can't really hid it since it was right on my nose. Haha.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

How would you propose to do that, exactly?

The notch exists to make room for the front-facing camera, proximity sensor, and speaker. That leaves two options, 1) put them in a horizontal bar all by themselves (which removing the notch effectively does or 2) build a notch around them.

What is the third option?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I have the 3XL and the notch doesn't impact my life

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
How would you propose to do that, exactly?

The notch exists to make room for the front-facing camera, proximity sensor, and speaker. That leaves two options, 1) put them in a horizontal bar all by themselves (which removing the notch effectively does or 2) build a notch around them.

What is the third option?

He just wants the ability to hide it.... Make it black and leave the notifications in place

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084