Just a quickie - Is there an app that hides the notch on a per app basis?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
How would you propose to do that, exactly?

The notch exists to make room for the front-facing camera, proximity sensor, and speaker. That leaves two options, 1) put them in a horizontal bar all by themselves (which removing the notch effectively does or 2) build a notch around them.

What is the third option?
Black out the areas next to the notch but still allow notifications/clock/battery etc icons there. Like how many other OEM's do it.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I hate the notch and cannot imagine when I would ever want to see it. So, yes, I disabled it in Developer Settings.

But, to your question, I would be very surprised if an app doesn't turn up soon to do what you want. :)
Does that give you a screen ratio closer to 16/9 (my preference)?

djisia87

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I use nano notch and I like utilizes the two corners and gives more screen real-estate vs pushing everything down ( via developer option)

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
** W O W **

First, thanks for all the discussion. I actually don't own a 3 yet. I went to look at it for the first time last Saturday. I honestly don't know which way I would go. The last bit about hiding the notch makes it a lot like the 2XL... I have a 2X. Now I really don't see the point of upgrading.

The "WOW" comes from the fact that this was such a detailed discussion! I would have thought everyone was sick of talking notch.

Honestly though, I was just curious if there was a per-app control. I can't name anything off hand but I bet there are apps out there that have yet to (or maybe won't ever) modify themselves to work with the notch, leaving the need for app that forces it.

Thanks!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
** W O W **

First, thanks for all the discussion. I actually don't own a 3 yet. I went to look at it for the first time last Saturday. I honestly don't know which way I would go. The last bit about hiding the notch makes it a lot like the 2XL... I have a 2X. Now I really don't see the point of upgrading.

The "WOW" comes from the fact that this was such a detailed discussion! I would have thought everyone was sick of talking notch.

Honestly though, I was just curious if there was a per-app control. I can't name anything off hand but I bet there are apps out there that have yet to (or maybe won't ever) modify themselves to work with the notch, leaving the need for app that forces it.

Thanks!

There are other reasons besides the extra space gained by the notch moving the notifications up to get the Pixel 3XL. It's a matter of whether or not you can justify the expense in your mind.
Besides as you've read the Notch can be disabled and the notifications pushed back up with a 3rd party app to regain the space.
Honestly in day to day usage the notch is a non-event for many of us that own it.

Bigleftyinaz

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I use the nacho notch app. i prefer it over the developer version. I like how it uses the time,temp and notifications in the sides by notch

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance