Google Pay is awesome

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
But isn't that because you said you used a Debit Card for Google Pay?

No....I meant the watch itself. If enable Google pay on the watch it forces you to use a pin code on the watch. so if I want to do anything with the watch other than check the time I need a PIN code to access it. It makes sense it's just a pain.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
No....I meant the watch itself. If enable Google pay on the watch it forces you to use a pin code on the watch. so if I want to do anything with the watch other than check the time I need a PIN code to access it. It makes sense it's just a pain.

That's insane and stupid. If they put the security layer at the app level this would only be necessary when actually using GP. SMDH...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
That's insane and stupid. If they put the security layer at the app level this would only be necessary when actually using GP. SMDH...

Its no different than using the phone but more annoying because I don't need security on a watch for the most part.

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I love Google Pay, and my phone is almost always much more accessible than my wallet (and then getting the cash/card out). I am using it at more and more places, yesterday I stopped into five places in the neighborhood and used it at four of them (the Chinese takeout the lone exception). Even the small non-chain sandwich shop near my office has Google Pay.

sjcdal

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Another convert here. I had tried it without success on previous phones..Pixel/Pixel2 without much success. Not sure if it is the phone, or just that the whole google pay/apple pay terminals have become much more available. Whatever, I love it now..VERY fast authorizations, and the added security is a bonus.

neo158

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
It's not that I don't know what I'm paying for, that was never mentioned.

It's very simple - you should be asked to confirm every purchase after you put your phone on the terminal. It's a financial transaction, it should require confirmation. Simply unlocking my phone doesn't mean I want to automatically give consent to all NFC payments even before I put it on the terminal.

Google Pay would be much better if you could touch the terminal with your phone when it's asleep, the phone wakes up, the phone shows that Google Pay wants to make a payment, and you confirm the payment via fingerprint, pin number, etc. Google is pushing for the Pixel to 'be smart' and pushing security so hard, I'm surprised they're so lax about financial transactions.

Not sure what you are trying to say with this, the act of unlocking the phone authorises the transaction, if it's over £30, and up to £30 there's no need to unlock the phone, here in the UK anyway. How many transactions are you making in one go that means security is such an issue!!?!

neo158

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
The act of unlocking my phone to read my email is most certainly not a Google Pay transaction authorization. Why does the GP app treat that as if it is?

Only if you're paying for something, otherwise it isn't an issue unless you're reading your email and have the phone permanently next to a contactless card reader and unlocking the phone only AUTHORISES the app to pay for something, the physical tap pays for it!!?!

Not only that but anyone trying skim your card details from your phone won't get much more than an alternate card number anyway. Seems to me that you don't actually know how Google Pay works.

Oh and well done, you can quote PART of a post completely out of context and reply to it, have a cookie!!

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The act of unlocking my phone to read my email is most certainly not a Google Pay transaction authorization. Why does the GP app treat that as if it is?

Ironically you can setup a pin or fingerprint to send money

Attachments

• 16809.jpg
    16809.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 12

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Only if you're paying for something, otherwise it isn't an issue unless you're reading your email and have the phone permanently next to a contactless card reader and unlocking the phone only AUTHORISES the app to pay for something, the physical tap pays for it!!?!

Not only that but anyone trying skim your card details from your phone won't get much more than an alternate card number anyway. Seems to me that you don't actually know how Google Pay works.

Oh and well done, you can quote PART of a post completely out of context and reply to it, here's your cookie!!

I was solely addressing what constitutes authorization, which is why I pulled that portion of your post. Next time I'll dumb it down and make that extra clear so that even rude gits have a fighting chance at comprehension. Have a pleasant day.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Man if you guys think Google Pay is so good, then you never used ApplePay.

I've used ApplyPay for years and it works way faster than Google Pay.

Since I put my XS Max in the drawer after getting my Pixel 3 XL, I've been using Google Pay at my usual haunts, and it is so slow and sometimes I think it isn't gong to work, and then all the sudden it does.

The iPhone must have a better NFC transceiver or something. When I put my iPhone next to a payment box, it immediately comes up and does the transaction.

With my Pixel, I have to unlock it first with my finger, then hold it next to the payment box, and wait....and wait....and wait....then it finally works.

I haven't replaced my Apple Watch with a WearOS watch yet. I haven't decided on which one to get yet, although I am leaning towards the Fossil Explorer. So lets see how well it works when I get a new watch. But as far as the phone is concerned, and iPhone works way better that the Pixel for NFC payments.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

Since I put my XS Max in the drawer after getting my Pixel 3 XL, I've been using Google Pay at my usual haunts, and it is so slow and sometimes I think it isn't gong to work, and then all the sudden it does.

The iPhone must have a better NFC transceiver or something. When I put my iPhone next to a payment box, it immediately comes up and does the transaction.

With my Pixel, I have to unlock it first with my finger, then hold it next to the payment box, and wait....and wait....and wait....then it finally works.

I haven't replaced my Apple Watch with a WearOS watch yet. I haven't decided on which one to get yet, although I am leaning towards the Fossil Explorer. So lets see how well it works when I get a new watch. But as far as the phone is concerned, and iPhone works way better that the Pixel for NFC payments.

There's only one problem.
Don't like Apple phones.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I use Apple Pay now, have used Google Pay tons before, and Samsung Pay. I haven't found one or the other to be "way faster" in my travels.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I use Apple Pay now, have used Google Pay tons before, and Samsung Pay. I haven't found one or the other to be "way faster" in my travels.

I haven't used any of them much , but from your experience Samsung pay works more places then the others?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used any of them much , but from your experience Samsung pay works more places then the others?

Well it does since it can work on normal card readers (ones that don't take NFC payments) -- otherwise they are the same. NFC payments have come a long way in the US so far now so there are a lot of places I can use Apple Pay now w/ my Watch & iPhone (and of course Google Pay would work there as well). Hell I even paid for a haircut two days ago with it :).

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well it does since it can work on normal card readers (ones that don't take NFC payments) -- otherwise they are the same. NFC payments have come a long way in the US so far now so there are a lot of places I can use Apple Pay now w/ my Watch & iPhone (and of course Google Pay would work there as well). Hell I even paid for a haircut two days ago with it :).

Nice ...
I love to use it at my Dunkin Donuts I'm there often, but I get the police/town discount if I pay cash.The owner told me if I pay credit he has to charge me full price because he loses his percentage through CC machine. But I'm going try it for haircut and other things see how it goes , I have them in all my phones should get on the ball and start using them lol.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I have both....I have never seen Google pay act as you describe. Not suggesting that you're not experiencing it but something must not be right.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Nice ...
I love to use it at my Dunkin Donuts I'm there often, but I get the police/town discount if I pay cash.The owner told me if I pay credit he has to charge me full price because he loses his percentage through CC machine. But I'm going try it for haircut and other things see how it goes , I have them in all my phones should get on the ball and start using them lol.

Yeah basically if you see this symbol somewhere (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contactless_payment) you can do Google Pay / Apple Pay. Sometimes they specifically say Apple Pay or G Pay -- but if you see this symbol it should pretty much work the same.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance