Google Pay is awesome

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I know loyalty card reading is nfc capable but don't know what action I must take? It should not need to be manually scanned by hand held scanner. Perhaps the loyalty card info is only passed by nfc after paying.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
AFAIK, these are bar code scan only, not NFC.
I know loyalty card reading is nfc capable but don't know what action I must take? It should not need to be manually scanned by hand held scanner. Perhaps the loyalty card info is only passed by nfc after paying.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
You must be right. I thought it said in the Google write up they would automatically pass to the machine if in vicinity but both of you agree and you're both more knowledgeable than I. It is odd that the app requires finding the show code button after finding the card. If it isn't NFC the code should show right away. I mean everyone will need the code immediately to be manually scanned.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You must be right. I thought it said in the Google write up they would automatically pass to the machine if in vicinity but both of you agree and you're both more knowledgeable than I. It is odd that the app requires finding the show code button after finding the card. If it isn't NFC the code should show right away. I mean everyone will need the code immediately to be manually scanned.
I don't believe there is such standard (NFC contactless) for store royalty cards. The Google Pay/Apple Pay on the other hand are standard adopted by all major credit cards.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm still a stubborn cash guy hold out..... and probably will be for the foreseeable future, but it's extremely informative and interesting reading this thread ;-)

When I see people paying with cash in front of me, I want to club them like a baby seal. (Wait, can we still say that??? :) )

Seriously, the people holding up the line to pay at the cafe at my office are always the cash people. Always looking for exact change or the cashier making change. Same thing when I buy my coffee in the morning. I want an 'EZ-Pass' lane for folks using electronic payments.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Yup, that is my experience. Being able to link them to Google Pay NFC would be a great next step so I don't have to open the app for the store I am in, and I still get credit. I am mostly thinking about my Starbucks and Wawa cards.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
When I see people paying with cash in front of me, I want to club them like a baby seal. (Wait, can we still say that??? :) )

Seriously, the people holding up the line to pay at the cafe at my office are always the cash people. Always looking for exact change or the cashier making change. Same thing when I buy my coffee in the morning. I want an 'EZ-Pass' lane for folks using electronic payments.

The are food spots in NYC that don't take cash.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
The are food spots in NYC that don't take cash.

Makes sense. In some cases cash is more risky and difficult to keep up with. I'd imagine accounting is easier to follow if everything is electronic. Of course and all cash business would have certain advantages....

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

It rarely happens now, but it was infuriating when people would not use electronic payment options and instead write checks, particularly in grocery stores with people waiting behind them. They could've used an ATM card to pay from the same account. So rude...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It rarely happens now, but it was infuriating when people would not use electronic payment options and instead write checks, particularly in grocery stores with people waiting behind them. They could've used an ATM card to pay from the same account. So rude...

You may not like it when people do so but, I don't think it qualifies as rude because some people prefer to pay by check.

Last edited:

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
You may not like it when people do so but, don't think it qualifies as rude because some people prefer to pay by check.

IMO it's self-indulgent and inconsiderate to be filling out checks and making clerks process them (depending on retailer, can be a time consuming task) when an ATM card can effect the exact same transaction from the same checking account much more quickly.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
IMO it's self-indulgent and inconsiderate to be filling out checks and making clerks process them (depending on retailer, can be a time consuming task) when an ATM card can effect the exact same transaction from the same checking account much more quickly.

In any event its their choice and I respect that. If I'm in that much of a hurry it's my fault. Most of the people I've seen who pay with check are on the ederly side. Probably afraid of debit cards. I've seen some people who screw up using debit cards which end up taking just as long as writing a check.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
In any event its their choice and I respect that. If I'm in that much of a hurry it's my fault. Most of the people I've seen who pay with check are on the ederly side. Probably afraid of debit cards. I've seen some people who screw up using debit cards which end up taking just as long as writing a check.

I agree see that happened.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

Yes, I agree at this point that's right. As I noted in my original comment, it's pretty rare now and agree mostly seniors. I was really commenting about, shall we say, slow adopters of all ages in the past ("It was infuriating..."), when it was common to regularly get stuck in line behind a check writer.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes, I agree at this point that's right. As I noted in my original comment, it's pretty rare now and agree mostly seniors. I was really commenting about, shall we say, slow adopters of all ages in the past ("It was infuriating..."), when it was common to regularly get stuck in line behind a check writer.

I remember one time in a deli getting lunch the guy in front of me was paying his sandwich with a check had to be about 7 or 8 dollars . I was more surprised he paid by check then how long it took to write it which was fairly quick.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Last weekend in the Container Store we were behind a younger person (maybe 30 years old at most) who paid for the items with a check. First time I've seen someone paying via check in a store in years. I thought perhaps it could have been for a business, rather than personal use.

It did seem to take "forever" for her to write it out, and the cashier/manager to verify and process. In reality it was probably less than a minute in all, but slower than electronic methods, and being so used to using mobile payment and secure credit card methods, that probably make the check writing transaction seem even longer than it really took.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
When I see people paying with cash in front of me, I want to club them like a baby seal. (Wait, can we still say that??? )

LOVE Henry Rollins!!! That IS where you got that, isn't it?

On-topic - apparently Lowes hasn't caught up on the mobile payment bandwagon yet. Tried using it yesterday and had to pull out my wallet for a credit card...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech