Google Pay is awesome

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Well unless a store disables all contact less payments, that's where Samsung pay shows it's superiority over Google pay.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
LOVE Henry Rollins!!! That IS where you got that, isn't it?

On-topic - apparently Lowes hasn't caught up on the mobile payment bandwagon yet. Tried using it yesterday and had to pull out my wallet for a credit card...

Good question, not sure where I heard that. It's been ages.

Home Depot is the same. Amazing, because they have pretty advanced checkouts near me, but no NFC.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
One thing in regards to my previous posts about slowness of google pay as opposed to Apple Pay.

I noticed that some places it seems slow and other places it is fast. For example, it’s just as fast as Apple Pay at Starbucks, which is good because I’m always at one. Hehe

But other places like my local grocery store and McDonald’s are slow, whereas Apple Pay are pretty much instant.

One thing I was thinking that maybe the NFC on the Pixel isn’t as strong of a signal as on an iPhone. Some place’s payment machines might be broadcasting at a lower signal that iPhones are still able to pick up on quickly, but the Pixel takes a little bit of time to acknowledge it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
One thing in regards to my previous posts about slowness of google pay as opposed to Apple Pay.

I noticed that some places it seems slow and other places it is fast. For example, it’s just as fast as Apple Pay at Starbucks, which is good because I’m always at one. Hehe

But other places like my local grocery store and McDonald’s are slow, whereas Apple Pay are pretty much instant.

One thing I was thinking that maybe the NFC on the Pixel isn’t as strong of a signal as on an iPhone. Some place’s payment machines might be broadcasting at a lower signal that iPhones are still able to pick up on quickly, but the Pixel takes a little bit of time to acknowledge it.

I use both with no noticable difference.

lcneed

Dec 8, 2018
Visit site
So it was my first time using Google Pay at Subways. I pulled out my Pixel 3 XL, unlocked it, hold it over the big pad with the word "SCAN" on it. Nothing happened. The cashier looked at me funny and said... "That's for scanning coupons, you put your phone over the terminal not the pad." Oops. Good news is it does work... if you put it over the right place....

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
So it was my first time using Google Pay at Subways. I pulled out my Pixel 3 XL, unlocked it, hold it over the big pad with the word "SCAN" on it. Nothing happened. The cashier looked at me funny and said... "That's for scanning coupons, you put your phone over the terminal not the pad." Oops. Good news is it does work... if you put it over the right place....

Yup....Subway is behind with their payment terminals

lcneed

Dec 8, 2018
Visit site
Just came back on my Europe trip and I used Google Pay just about every chance I got. At Netherlands and Belgium, Google Pay works just about everywhere that takes VISA (I only have VISA cards). Some small stores seem to only take Maestro debit card, so those I have to pay cash.

In Paris, it is a different story. Many times, the little terminal will take Google Pay, but then it will refuse and I will have to put my actual VISA card into the chip reader. On Google Pay screen on the phone, it will just show pay and then a refund of the same amount. After the fifth or sixth times this happened, I just use the physical card instead.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Just waiting for grocery stores to get on board... Left home one day last week without my wallet, and grocery shopping was the only task I wasn't able to complete via Google Pay (neither Harris Teeter nor Publix support it, at least in my area).