Problem with Call Recipient Not Hearing Me?

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone, got my wife the Pixel 3 since she is the main family photographer for our 2 baby girls. She is not a techie (and I'm on an approaching 2 year old LG G6, and that is driving me crazy, but that is another matter altogether).

She has told me that she has had multiple instances this past week where she called someone and she could hear them, but they couldn't hear her, even when she hit speaker phone. I did have her call me one time and this happened. I could not hear anything from her, but she says she could hear me.

Very good possibility of user error somewhere, but she is getting frustrated, so i figured I'd see if anyone has a similar issue or heard of this.

Sarrod

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Hate to accuse your wife, but I have this happen multiple times a week. After a while I discovered that apparently I accidentally turn on the mute function with my cheek (at least, that's my working theory right now). Probably something else, but wanted to share 😇

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Hate to accuse your wife, but I have this happen multiple times a week. After a while I discovered that apparently I accidentally turn on the mute function with my cheek (at least, that's my working theory right now). Probably something else, but wanted to share
This probably is the best guess actually to what is happening. I'll definitely let her know to double check that if it happens again. Thank you!

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Well, she swears it's not the mute button, either way, it hasn't happened since I did a hard reboot and told her about the possible "reasons" and things to watch out for. Either way, as of now we are good to go. Thanks again!

Yanninp

Dec 19, 2018
Visit site
Hey everyone, got my wife the Pixel 3 since she is the main family photographer for our 2 baby girls. She is not a techie (and I'm on an approaching 2 year old LG G6, and that is driving me crazy, but that is another matter altogether).

She has told me that she has had multiple instances this past week where she called someone and she could hear them, but they couldn't hear her, even when she hit speaker phone. I did have her call me one time and this happened. I could not hear anything from her, but she says she could hear me.

Very good possibility of user error somewhere, but she is getting frustrated, so i figured I'd see if anyone has a similar issue or heard of this.

My boyfriend and I decided to switch from iPhones to Pixels earlier this month. He got the Pixel 3XL, I got the regular Pixel 3. He has had no complains, while I have been experiencing the same issue as your wife. I am certain that I am not pressing the mute button. My boyfriend has even witness me experience this issue and he was surprised that this problem was happening on a new phone.
By the sounds of it, it might be a Pixel 3 phone issue, not a Pixel 3XL.

bgard7

Dec 19, 2018
Visit site
My wife has been experiencing the same issue with her Pixel 3. So, there is a known issue where the phone, by default, uses the LTE data network to improve calling. This is causing the issue. So, you can turn it off. Settings>Network and Internet>Mobile Network>Turn off "Advanced Calling" However, with this setting turned OFF, you then can't reply to group text messages, since they are multimedia texts. SO...she really has to have the setting turned ON, and then is dealing with people who can't hear her all the time. I am going to call Verizon again and try to get a different phone all together, saying this phone is defective and doesn't fit my needs. We'll see what happens.

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
bgard-
A friend of mine had problems with Verizon after an OTA upgrade wiped out some features that he wanted, needed, and in fact had bought that particular phone for. Verizon politely said "TFB". So I told him to file a complaint with the FCC or our state commission, and he filed with the FCC.
When that happens you get a call back or an email from "Verizon's Executive Offices" and NO ONE else at Verizon (i.e. 611) is allowed to talk to you, your account is red flagged. The VEO people are allowed to behave like legitimate business people, and if they can't FIX your problem (they have the internal numbers for top-level real support) then they can, if necessary, buy back your phone or whatever else it takes to make the problem go away.
They get one demerit from the FCC for having a complaint filed. Another demerit if it isn't resolved promptly. And a whole book of demerits if the carrier says "Resolved" and the customer says "No, it wasn't." When it comes time for a regulated carrier to ask for rate increases, the FCC takes a look at the demerit book. Too many demerits? No increase.
So, the carriers have some real incentive to MAKE IT RIGHT and not blow any smoke when you file an FCC complaint.
I'll generally make one and only one complaint to a regulated "utility", and when they tell me "Gee, that's totally impossible" the second complaint goes to the FCC. On their web site or their phone, both get you the same fast response. Not just Verizon, every wireless carrier, every broadband cable company...a whole lot of folks.
One carrot, then the stick.

bgard7

Dec 19, 2018
Visit site
So I spoke to a Verizon Level 2 tech. He said that Google is recommending a new sim card and wiping the device. I am going to try that, and if it doesn't work, we'll take it further.

jabaa

Oct 25, 2018
Visit site
I've had my Pixel 3 since late Oct on Google Fi and have recently experienced this problem twice.

The first time, I made a call as I was leaving my house to walk the dog, so would've been on my home wifi as call was initiated. Then the issue started (person on other end couldn't hear me) maybe 100 meters from the house at about the extent of my home wifi signal. We hung up, I continued my walk further from the house and away from wifi, I called the person back, and everything was fine.

The second time I was at a grocery store and on their wifi which I've had some issues with in the past. A person called me and pretty quickly they had trouble hearing me.

So based on my two data points, I was guessing it was a problem when going from wifi to LTE, or to do with wifi when the signal is iffy. Which perhaps is the same thing-- i.e. wifi iffy so phone trying to switch over to LTE.

Last edited:

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
A new SIM card and wiping the device? Well, the nuclear option (wiping the device) will in theory cure anything that is corrupted or set incorrectly. But a new SIM card??

I keep hearing about all the wonderful things that can be programmed and set on the SIM card including "all" of your phone numbers, but typically I've only been able to put maybe 12 contacts on a SIM card, and if anything else (like the APN, the provider, etc.) is stored there...there just ISN'T a whole lot there, it should all show up in the phone's menus. Assuming any techie knows how to check them.

Good luck with that, at least they seem willing to replace the phone if they can't figure out anything else to do.

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like Google hired some design engineers from Apple and Samsung.

Knowing Google, they'll trace the problem to "Only happens when the user holds the phone in their hand. Suggest to the user that they hold the phone with their FEET, this will fix the problem. Phone was not designed to be used in the hand."

Gargoyle doesn't make mistakes, only dumb users do. (sigh)

bgard7

Dec 19, 2018
Visit site
We haven't yet replaced the SIM card and done a reset on the device. However, my wife turned on Wifi calling. That seemed to help the issue. Looks like something with the connection to the cellular network being iffy...so it tries to use the LTE data connection, which causes the issue I guess. In our home, with the Wifi calling turned on, she is having success talking to people in the same areas before where they couldn't here her speaking/very choppy sound.

bgard7

Dec 19, 2018
Visit site
So....my wife experienced the issue even with Wifi calling turned on. I just got a new sim card, did a factory reset, activated the sim and setup her Pixel 3 again today. We'll see if this corrects the issue.

mparkes_mp

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
My girlfriend is experiencing the exact same problem on Pixel 3 often and is talking about returning the phone. I'm on pixel 3 XL and have had only a few calls where people were unable to hear me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma