Now playing not working on lock screen?

bhemi73

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone else use now playing with streaming music? I've found that it doesn't work when you're streaming on pixel 3. I'm using a pixel stand right now but I'm having the same issues with any stand/charger. When I had the P2 now playing would still come through on my lock screen. I made sure the lock screen toggle is on and I still get nothing. My pixel 2 did a great job of catching new music that I miss the title/artist on and since I've gotten the P3 I've noticed that now playing it really off on music ID. Now I'm curious if any others are having issues.

Attachments

• 8374.jpg
    8374.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 162

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
The musical note you see is the notification that now playing has identified a song. All you have to do is double tap the note and you will see.

It only behaves this way when it's on the Pixel Stand.

bhemi73

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Actually the note is the notification from Google play music. Also I've been having issues on standard chargers as well. I've tried it off the stand and I'm not getting notifications either. If I look at my history, the last time it caught a song was the 25th.

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Actually the note is the notification from Google play music. Also I've been having issues on standard chargers as well. I've tried it off the stand and I'm not getting notifications either. If I look at my history, the last time it caught a song was the 25th.

I get that note when I'm not streaming music, so I don't think that is the notification from Play Music.

And the Now Playing database doesn't have every song. It could very go a long time without recognizing a song, depending on what you're listening to.

bhemi73

May 11, 2012
Visit site
so I just tried this with a friend who also has a pixel 3. His pixel has song ID's coming up and I don't. also it's hit or miss on ID'ing anything. it's not catching mainstream music. My pixel 2 was rock solid and even picked up on a good portion of new music. This one not so much. I'll get a screen shot of a non pixel stand to see the notification from different apps.

bhemi73

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I get that note when I'm not streaming music, so I don't think that is the notification from Play Music.

And the Now Playing database doesn't have every song. It could very go a long time without recognizing a song, depending on what you're listening to.

Just so you don't think I'm crazy, here it is on an Anker charger. For some reason it wouldn't let me take a screen shot either so the wife's phone had to do. 8:37 is Google play music, 8:35 is radio.com. Radio is what I use the majority of the time and where my pixel 2 had zero issues. Tomorrow I'm thinking of chatting with Google support because I've tried every toggle and cache delete that I can think of.

Attachments

• 1530367358.jpg
    1530367358.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 51

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Now that I think more about, I think the musical note I saw as a notification of Now Playing looked a little different, it was a note with no circle around it.

I'm on the road right now so I can't check that though.

bhemi73

May 11, 2012
Visit site
so after talking with Google about this, now playing is working as intended. They suggested that I allow app notifications on the lock screen. unless I'm missing something, I can't find that setting anywhere. I've asked to confirm but haven't gotten a response yet.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Mine works fine, now playing for music(apple) and YouTube works...however for some reason Netflix doesn't show but not sure if normal.

bhemi73

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Are you streaming music on your phone while now playing ID's? I've tried radio.com and Google play music, the two apps I use the most, they both don't work.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
so after talking with Google about this, now playing is working as intended. They suggested that I allow app notifications on the lock screen. unless I'm missing something, I can't find that setting anywhere. I've asked to confirm but haven't gotten a response yet.

There are 2 places in the settings that are relevant.

The first is:
Settings>Sound>Now Playing>Show Songs on Lock Screen, with a button to enable/disable the setting.

The second is:
Settings>Apps & notifications>Notifications>On lock screen, with three choices, Show all notification content, Hide sensitive content, & Don't show notifications at all.

bhemi73

May 11, 2012
Visit site
There are 2 places in the settings that are relevant.

The first is:
Settings>Sound>Now Playing>Show Songs on Lock Screen, with a button to enable/disable the setting.

The second is:
Settings>Apps & notifications>Notifications>On lock screen, with three choices, Show all notification content, Hide sensitive content, & Don't show notifications at all.

I did find those and both are on. I guess I should confirm that the screen I'm used to having this info is the ambient or always on screen. If I'm on the lock screen itself it does show up. Once the always on screen comes on I lose the info and it becomes a notification icon. This didn't use to be a problem on the P2 because now playing would take over from there. Now that it doesn't ID songs that the P3 is playing, I lose that information. It's a small issue to be sure but I was used to that experience with the P2 and now that I don't have it, I feel like I've lost a feature I used all the time.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I did find those and both are on. I guess I should confirm that the screen I'm used to having this info is the ambient or always on screen. If I'm on the lock screen itself it does show up. Once the always on screen comes on I lose the info and it becomes a notification icon. This didn't use to be a problem on the P2 because now playing would take over from there. Now that it doesn't ID songs that the P3 is playing, I lose that information. It's a small issue to be sure but I was used to that experience with the P2 and now that I don't have it, I feel like I've lost a feature I used all the time.

Have you checked to see if the songs you streamed on the Pixel 3 were stored in the history? Granted it's not showing for you on the AOD, but it might still be in the history, so at least there'd be a record of it.

bhemi73

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Have you checked to see if the songs you streamed on the Pixel 3 were stored in the history? Granted it's not showing for you on the AOD, but it might still be in the history, so at least there'd be a record of it.

Good thought but no, no history. I listened to streaming radio all day today and I have one song from a commercial 16 minutes ago and one song 13 hours ago.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Good thought but no, no history. I listened to streaming radio all day today and I have one song from a commercial 16 minutes ago and one song 13 hours ago.

Weird, when we were trying to determine if the now included Now Playing History that's part of the settings logged all songs or just the last few, I streamed music to do it. The only difference was I was streaming it throughy phone, and them BT streaming it to my truck's audio system. I don't recall if I've ever seen if it recorded sounds coming from the phone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I don't know if you guy's are aware that now playing can be added to home screen as a short cut . that way u can see your history right away.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Just so you don't think I'm crazy, here it is on an Anker charger. For some reason it wouldn't let me take a screen shot either so the wife's phone had to do. 8:37 is Google play music, 8:35 is radio.com. Radio is what I use the majority of the time and where my pixel 2 had zero issues. Tomorrow I'm thinking of chatting with Google support because I've tried every toggle and cache delete that I can think of.

Off thread topic, I notice your Anker charger charges rapidly

I read reports of non OEM wireless chargers Not supporting rapid charging..
Was this fixed in the most recent update, I just received my Pixel 3 XL 2 days ago.
If Anker 5W QI Certified Wireless Charger will support rapid charging on Pixel 3 XL i will pick that up for 19.99 before spending 79.99 on Pixel Stand.

Last edited:

bhemi73

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Off thread topic, I notice your Anker charger charges rapidly

I read reports of non OEM wireless chargers Not supporting rapid charging..
Was this fixed in the most recent update, I just received my Pixel 3 XL 2 days ago

Yep, the update "fixed" that. Now says charging slowly.

bhemi73

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Now Playing doesn't show up on my lock screen, but the history shows up in settings.

I listened to music every day at work and the last song on my history is from the 6th. Google has said this is working as intended any the only thing I can do is submit feedback. Pretty annoying.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae