Since you didn't mind the notch, would you like two?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/10/29/hilarious-pixel-3-xl-bug-adds-second-notch-side-screen/

2notch.jpg

The notch on the Pixel 3 XL is probably one of the most derided smartphone features in history, or, judging by our comments section, the worst thing to ever happen in the history of the universe. A wonderfully apt bug experienced by a small number of users manifests itself as an additional notch on the right side of the display, and it could hardly be funnier.

I must admit that I saw this on Twitter over the weekend and just assumed that it was a prank. Turns out that it's a real-life bug experienced by several users, including Jessie Burroughs, Kyle Gutschow, and UrAvgConsumer. We're not sure what's causing it, but it could be something to do with the screen rotation setting getting a bit confused about its orientation.

In all three of the examples we've seen, the users reported that the issue went away after a restart or fiddling with the developer settings, so at least it's not a permanent problem. Anyone who bought a Pixel 3 XL probably decided that the notch didn't bother them that much, but we're not sure how they'd feel about another one showing up unannounced.

Google just reached out to let us know that not only is the company aware of this highly anomalous behavior, but that a fix should be "coming soon." If you really enjoy tripped-out Pixel 3 XL glitches, bask in this one while you can.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Lol, keeping my $900. Google should invest in people to test their software before they release products.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Just a bug, personally hasn't happened to me but glad Google acknowledged it and are going to fix. Hopefully November update is going to squash lots of these minor bugs.

I do agree that Google has to tighten up their QA process for the phones. Typically they ship with more bugs than I have encountered with Samsung or Apple flagships. But still love my Pixel phones over Samsung, tied with Apple phone

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Man, what is up with software right now? Not just from Google, but MS releasing an update that deletes files... Apple and iOS 11 nightmare and then releasing devicess with a charging bug in the software. I mean, all of these things can be cleaned up in post with an update and none of them are deal breakers (accept maybe deleting my files), but gracious. Maybe software engineers are getting lazy or just not running QA properly, Idk... but bugs abound.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Lol, keeping my $900. Google should invest in people to test their software before they release products.

If you are going to worry about every post where devices have problems you shouldn't buy anything. Do you honestly believe that every hardware and software problem shows up during product testing?

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
If you are going to worry about every post where devices have problems you shouldn't buy anything. Do you honestly believe that every hardware and software problem shows up during product testing?
Ok, no. However one has to wonder why it was there in the first place.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm not getting the animosity towards the Notch. Ok, so now the notification bar is split in two, and the screen space they used to take up is now usable. I haven't had one problem with applications or videos not displaying correctly. I just look at the rectangular space as my normal screen, and bonus space on the sides at the top as extra.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Yup
5a56f672b11fc95c668ac1d6d2b52885.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Right. And uraverageconsumer probably just made a joke. I've seen so many people make jokes about it.

That's a major problem if that could happen with software glitch which is not the case either someone messed in deveolper option or downloaded a notch app that moves it around

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678