Memory Issues

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Is anyone dealing with this?

If so, what type of issues are you having?

Nothing that concerns me. I had the music app crashing when taking high memory photos but I ran the apps without optimization for a few days; restored the optimization and it's been fine.
As far as reloading apps that hasn't impacted me to where I noticed it. As far as I'm concerned you would have to look for that to notice for the most part. I'm not that OCD on app reloading. I'm not knocking those that are; it's just not worthy of my focus.

Caezar07

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
Ugh, I thought I had kind of gotten around this but as of today I'm getting a new symptom of memory issues now.

If I'm streaming a youtube video in the background (usually a talk show podcast type of thing) and using other apps at the same time, I can only load up about 3 other apps before the youtube video stops playing in the background. No, it's not another app queuing up audio to play over the youtube video. This is getting pretty annoying. Between this and my problems with the navigation app, the memory issues are getting pretty close to being a deal breaker for me. I've never owned an apple product but I'm seriously thinking of just getting the iphone X. At the least, I might trade in the S8 that I still have and get the S9, and get the S10 comes out. I'm not sure I can even deal with this phone for the 4 months until the S10 is released.

I'm certain the phone can operate on 4gb of RAM, and I think it's just a software RAM management issue, but it'd be nice if google acknowledged this and committed to an update...otherwise I would not deal with this long term.

It seems like google maps navigation, the camera app, and streaming music or youtube in the background are the main culprits as far as memory management issues.

Caezar07

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
Nothing that concerns me. I had the music app crashing when taking high memory photos but I ran the apps without optimization for a few days; restored the optimization and it's been fine.
I just restored optimization as well and not it seems like youtube isn't being kicked out of memory after 1 minute, but this is the original configuration I had been using that was kicking navi out of memory.

As far as reloading apps that hasn't impacted me to where I noticed it. As far as I'm concerned you would have to look for that to notice for the most part. I'm not that OCD on app reloading. I'm not knocking those that are; it's just not worthy of my focus.
The memory reloading isn't a dealbreaker to me either, but kicking background apps out of memory that I am using like navi and music, is a dealbreaker, and I haven't found a way to get this phone to consistently not give me that issue.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I just restored optimization as well and not it seems like youtube isn't being kicked out of memory after 1 minute, but this is the original configuration I had been using that was kicking navi out of memory.

The memory reloading isn't a dealbreaker to me either, but kicking background apps out of memory that I am using like navi and music, is a dealbreaker, and I haven't found a way to get this phone to consistently not give me that issue.

I'm hopeful and sure we will see an update to resolve these issues.

When I run AA with Spotify I have no issues but at that point it's connected as a Dedicated device for AA

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I had slow down/freeze up around days 3-5. Haven't had any issues since then. Now on day 13 with the device.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I get it here and there.

Generally speaking my issues are with audible and pocket caster with maps running.

It's annoying when it happens. I hope they fix it.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone dealing with this?

If so, what type of issues are you having?

Yes this is terrible and I don't even have that many apps installed yet. What 100% always crashes my apps is when I launch the camera. For example if I'm listening to Google Play Music and I feel like taking a pic it force closes my Google Play Music and the music stops playing. I also notice that when I go to apps I already opened it indeed usually auto refreshes it causing me not to be where I left off.

One good example is when I'm viewing Instagram or Facebook and scrolling through my feed and then I have the need to switch to apps or shut off my screen for a bit when I go back to the apps it refreshes making me be at the top of my news feed again and having to scroll all over through the content I already saw. My Pixel 2 XL worked flawlessly with 4 GB of ram so I can't see the issue being bc of only 4 GB of RAM. I hope they just need to tweak it and hope they actually push out an update.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes this is terrible and I don't even have that many apps installed yet. What 100% always crashes my apps is when I launch the camera. For example if I'm listening to Google Play Music and I feel like taking a pic it force closes my Google Play Music and the music stops playing. I also notice that when I go to apps I already opened it indeed usually auto refreshes it causing me not to be where I left off.

One good example is when I'm viewing Instagram or Facebook and scrolling through my feed and then I have the need to switch to apps or shut off my screen for a bit when I go back to the apps it refreshes making me be at the top of my news feed again and having to scroll all over through the content I already saw. My Pixel 2 XL worked flawlessly with 4 GB of ram so I can't see the issue being bc of only 4 GB of RAM. I hope they just need to tweak it and hope they actually push out an update.

I disabled adaptive battery optimization for the music apps and rebooted. Solved the music app crashes. After a few days enabled them back and so far so good music apps aren't crashing with camera even with memory intensive features. You could also try shutting down adaptive battery all together.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I tried the camera night shot while YouTube in the background running and it closed you tube ... now I was messing through settings and decided to disable well being through apps list called health and service and didn't happen again . maybe give it a try and see what happens with yours ..don't forget that in beta stage so let me Kno with your results.

Caezar07

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
I haven't had any of these issues either. But then I don't listen to music while I'm taking photos.

It doesn't only happen with the camera app and music. It can happen with any one of the navigation, music/video background streaming app, or the camera app running, paired with any couple other apps. For example, streaming YouTube while browsing the web.

Even if you're not using the camera app simultaneous with something else, it's pretty lame that either the camera app, navigation, or YouTube apps all throw other moderately intensive apps out of memory, while lighter recent apps may stay in memory. The pixel 3 only has enough memory to keep 1 large app in recent memory.

People constantly defending the performance of the pixel 3 and criticizing people for snapping photos while using navigation or something are no better than Apple acusing people of holding their phones wrong when antenna-gate happened.

Caezar07

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
I tried the camera night shot while YouTube in the background running and it closed you tube ... now I was messing through settings and decided to disable well being through apps list called health and service and didn't happen again . maybe give it a try and see what happens with yours ..don't forget that in beta stage so let me Kno with your results.

I've played with a bunch of settings and it gets better at first, but then gets worse. I think if you turn on/off battery optimization, it resets your app usage history and holds everything in memory and your phone will speed up. But then it learns your app usage history again, and if you say use navigation after not using it for a week, it will aggressively kick it out of memory because it thinks it's not an important app to you. This is just me speculating.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
People constantly defending the performance of the pixel 3 and criticizing people for snapping photos while using navigation or something are no better than Apple acusing people of holding their phones wrong when antenna-gate happened.
I honestly haven't run in to the memory problem folks are talking about. I'm sure I could create the problem if I tried, but for the way I've used my Pixel 3 XL 128 since release, I just haven't run in to it yet. I hope it's fixed before I take a picture and it's gone from memory before it's saved! Am I vindicated now? :D

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
But its strange bc on my pixel 2 XL I've been on the Android p since beta and never had issues and then pixel 2 XL with the same version of Android p didn't have memory issues. That being said both phones have 4gb of ram so to me the pixel 3 XL should have no issues keeping apps in memory and not reset their state or close. I'm leading towards it being a software issue bc if it was an issue with 4gb of ram not being enough ram then the pixel 2 XL should have the same issue since it only has 4 gb of ram too and same version of Android p. Unless the ram used on the pixel 3 XL has issues etc. I might log a Google support case to see if they say that there is a software update worked on to resolve the issue.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
FYI just a quick update I just got off chatting with Google support and they confirmed the issue and stated their software team is currently investigating the issue which should be fixed via a software update, but no eta. Please see attached screenshot of our chat log. At least now we know they acknowledged the bug and are working on a fix. Thank you.
5b548ab93eed770f26d57b7e111201f9.jpg

creatureclan

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Had my Pixel 3XL 128gb Black for 3 days now and haven't experienced any issues with ram at all. I haven't adjusted any battery settings or nothing. I was honestly worried with all the complaining before I got my phone but so far so good. I tried to recreate all the problems to get my phone to kick apps out but nothing so far.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae